Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Please vote for Basenotes March Madness 2010 Champion.

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain

81 51.92%
  • Serge Lutens Chergui

75 48.08%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10: 3/30 The Final Spritz, Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain vs. Serge Lutens Chergui

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Game 64, The Final Spritz
    Poll ends March 31.

(7) Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain vs. (12) Serge Lutens Chergui

Most recent bracket:

(Click bracket for full size.)

Poll will close in 24 hours, please vote for the Basenotes March Madness 2010 Champion.

The Zeitgeist Sez...

Standings:
    Maximum Score Possible 161
    zliang 116
    gupts 106
    timaru 104
    DocmanCC 101
    Asha 88
    veuve amiot 83
    TwoRoads 82
    robpgmc 82
    wicozani 81
    the_good_life 78
    mrcologneguy 77
    flannelman 71
    surreality 66
    The Zeitgeist 63
    Buddy97 63
    an_oud_girl 63
    Bluesoul 55
    telecaster 53
    kbe 52
    Royal 52
    Furriner 50
    rogalal 48
    mudassir 47
    Exquisitely Me 42
    Roryj 42
    JaimeB 40
    jacona 32
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10: 3/30 The Final Spritz, Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain vs. Serge Lutens Chergui

I'm going to have to test these both again before voting. I'm actually just posting to say THANK YOU to the voters who have seen to it that no Guerlain made it to the finals!

Nothing against Guerlain but they had their fair share and then some of winning last year.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: BMM10: 3/30 The Final Spritz, Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain vs. Serge Lutens Chergui

Pretty cool that it's 7th and 12th seeds in the final. I regret that I'm not all that comfortable picking one over the other. Hope it goes as close as the Vetiver v. Egoiste round.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've got to give my support to the little guy. Go Andy Tauer!!!! Not to mention I like the scent better, and I chose it as the winner of my bracket, but it also appeals to my current distaste for the corporate.
    Last edited by robpmgc; 30th March 2010 at 05:15 AM.

Such a hard question! However, I have the answer already :d Chergui!!!

Man I really dislike Chergui with a passion
    would much rather wear LDDM
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Marocain smells like concentrated Chergui with liquid plastic. Go Serge!

Each are excellent fragrances IMO.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 30th March 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Own and enjoy both. This is a really difficult one. Chergui by the narrowest of margins.

Lair, all the way...

looking good, in the end

I guess congrats to zliang, very good job on the predictions !

If this was the old version of Chergui, then it would be closer in my mind. However, L'Air for me. More of a year round scent, but then again, it does not reach the heights that the old Chergui would have.

L'Air for sure. Gotta love that dry, rocky spice.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Go Chergui!

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Lair, all the way...
    looking good, in the end :)
    I guess congrats to zliang, very good job on the predictions !
    Thanks, timaru, but it's too early to say who the winner is. Chergui is closing in the gap now.
    Last edited by zliang; 30th March 2010 at 04:34 PM.

This is a disturbingly tough choice. Two of my absolute faves. I need to think about it some more.....

As much as the recent video interview with Andy, made me truly love him, he appears to be such a kind and gentle person, I can't hide the fact, that for me personally I have grown to find L'Air du Desert Marocain to be overrated and ultimately fail at being a functional fragrance. It is, IMO, a beautiful fragrant portrait, it would be more at home in a museum of art, than on human skin. Now, on the completely opposite end of the spectrum, I vehemently disagree with anyone claiming Chergui to be overrated. It wasn't love at first sniff, I actually was bored/indifferent my first sampling. But the second sampling it bowled me over. IMO, as close to fragrance perfection as I've smelled.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

what's goin on?
    wasn't lair like 10 votes ahead?
    once again, tough match and a worthy final

I'm not going to vote until the last 20 or 30 minutes. I urge others who can to do the same. (Hehehe.)

From Andy Tauer today:
    Dear Rob
    I thank you, and I have to make a confession: The last days and weeks were
    so absorbing and energy eating that I hardly ever followed the March Madness
    competition (that I find a cool idea).
    Thus, today, I checked for a minute, trying to find out where I (my air
    du...) got and I realized that I got up there. Wow. This IS amazing. One of
    these days, I have to find out what it is that makes people love the Air du
    desert marocain so much... Until then: I try to find my way ;-)
    I wish you a lovely day
    Andy

Come on guys, Mr. Tauer is one of us! A Basenotes reader! And one heck of a nice guy, I might add. Winning this would make him feel good. I don't think the same can be said of Serge Lutens, or Shiseido, right? Support small business!

Yes, go andy, go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robpmgc View Post
    From Andy Tauer today:
    Dear Rob
    I wish you a lovely day
    Andy

Come on guys, Mr. Tauer is one of us! A Basenotes reader! And one heck of a nice guy, I might add. Winning this would make him feel good. I don't think the same can be said of Serge Lutens, or Shiseido, right? Support small business!
    Ok, I concede. That man is just such a stand up nice guy. You're right it WOULD mean the world to him. So, even though I voted against it, GO L'AIR!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

summer means fireflys

OMG! That was a tough decision. Both are special to me in their own way. Chergui is my one and only Bell Jar fragrance and I cherish my decant of LDDM given to me by a special friend. I have such happy memories of wearing both of them ...

LDDM it is ...

Quote Originally Posted by robpmgc View Post
    From Andy Tauer today:
    Dear Rob
    I wish you a lovely day
    Andy

+1

Couldn't have said this better myself.

Go Andy!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

That's too cool, I love that Andy found out about this, I mentioned it to him when LDDM arrived in the Fragrant Four. There's less than an hour to go and Chergui has a 3-vote lead!

EDIT: Make that a 2-vote lead since I started writing this! 51-49 after 100 votes!

EDIT 2: All tied up! 51-51!
    Last edited by bluesoul; 31st March 2010 at 03:33 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

L'Air for me too...

Tauer might be a nice guy and while I am not the biggest Lutens fan I find Chergui to be much coherent and better put together (with better materials) than LDDM. But since this is not a vote for whos a nice guy (Lutens might be cold and aloof), Chergui gets my vote.
    -

Looks like there's a little under 20 minutes left, and they're within two votes. I haven't voted yet!

Blog Entries

13 minutes left, 54-51 Chergui.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Looks like about 10 minutes left, and I voted. 54-52 Chergui.

Come on all you late voters!

Bluesoul, is this the competition with the greatest number of voters?

Blog Entries

There were a few last year with 130+. The polls not closing when they should has really made some things difficult, accurate scoring being the main one. Two minutes left and LDDM trails by two.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    There were a few last year with 130+. The polls not closing when they should has really made some things difficult, accurate scoring being the main one. Two minutes left and LDDM trails by two.
    Thanks Bluesoul, now go do laundry before closing this poll.

Chergui, of course!

Wow, it's a great round showing both are worthy to be in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Wow, it's a great round showing both are worthy to be in the final.
    It was like Ali-Frazier

Banned

Late vote for Chergui

After some deliberation I decided to vote for Chergui. It really is beautiful in the fall - sublime even.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Thanks Bluesoul, now go do laundry before closing this poll.
    So, has Bluesoul finished his laundry? : )

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Omg what a nail biting final! I had voted earlier for Chergui when it was trailing by 7 and now?
    I recall the first day I wore Chergui, thinking : "Wow, this stuff smells expensive and high quality!" And I remember a young woman leaning ever closer towards me throughout the train ride home. A well deserved top spot IMO.

My loyalty lies with Tauer!
    Only 1 point in it so far!

DeepSilence

Mexican Wave for Chergui (something like this)

Good morning, could we, before we close this incredibly even and worty final, maybe make an annoucement for it on the womens board and let them make the decision we obviously couldnt male ourselves?

Ahh, too bad some people are too late in voting.

I need some help. Was the final score Chergui 54 L'Air 52 at 12:13AM EST?
    Based on the way I read the posts that was the score with 10 minutes to go.
    Can't write this up until I know what the final score was.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

---
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 31st March 2010 at 08:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I need some help. Was the final score Chergui 54 L'Air 52 at 12:13AM EST?
    Based on the way I read the posts that was the score with 10 minutes to go.
    Can't write this up until I know what the final score was.
    SMM, this is correct. I kept refreshing from 12:11AM EST - 12:21AM EST and it was still the same score, LDDM down by 2; Chergui winning with 54.

DeepSilence

Both of the finalist are unisex. it shows ladies affected in voting, and men perfumes didn't have equal chance. but it was great generally.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 1st January 2011 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries

If Chergui can go all the way, then so can Butler. Go Butler!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    SMM, this is correct. I kept refreshing from 12:11AM EST - 12:21AM EST and it was still the same score, LDDM down by 2; Chergui winning with 54.

Thank you now I can go write.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Sorry Mark, I was asleep, and I had a post lined up but apparently didn't hit submit, yes the final was 54-52 Chergui.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

When I ordered my LDDM, the card that was included by Andy Tauer was a very nice touch indeed, in a world where perfumiers regard themselves as above mere mortals.

Having tried them both, my vote goes for LDDM as I find most of Lutens creations a touch on the medicinal side, scent wise. No doubt this next remark will get me pilloried, but I think that both scents are somewhat of the "Emperor's New Clothes" variety. They're good, but not great.

So who won the bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    So who won the bracket?
    I've been waiting for the decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    I've been waiting for the decision as well.
    Isn't it you, who's won unless someone in the top spots had picked up Chergui........
    I'll hold on the congratulations until results are officially announced :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Isn't it you, who's won unless someone in the top spots had picked up Chergui........
    I'll hold on the congratulations until results are officially announced :-)
    That's why I've been reloading this page since yesterday. : )

Relax, z, you've won. According to the master spreadsheet you had both LDDM and Chergui as the final two. You've have gained 32 points no matter who won. You were on top coming into this last game so you'll remain on top no matter what anyone else gained.

I'm anxious for the awards show and closing ceremonies. Daniel's a couple days behind but that's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Relax, z, you've won. According to the master spreadsheet you had both LDDM and Chergui as the final two. You've have gained 32 points no matter who won. You were on top coming into this last game so you'll remain on top no matter what anyone else gained.

I'm anxious for the awards show and closing ceremonies. Daniel's a couple days behind but that's understandable.
    Thanks, Doc. I also completely understand the delay. I've been looking for the link to the master spreadsheet. Looking at it, only two brackets have Chergui as the winner, i.e., veuve amiot and mrcologneguy. So, they'd get 32 additional points each resulting in the final points of 115 and 109, respectively. That means I only have 1 point lead. Wow, that's too close!

PS: I hope it isn't April fools.

But wouldn't you get 32 points as well?