Code of Conduct

Thread: Hello Basenotes

Default Hello Basenotes

I would just like to introduce myself to the fragrance community and i have a few questions. My name is Ethan and i am 18. I am currently stuck in the high school/ college stage. I am still in highschool but i will be attending Rensselaer Poly tech this fall. I am fairly new to fragrances and I currently own Le male. I did have vesace man eau fraiche but as you know, that scumbag Razvan scammed me as well as others.

so i have a few questions? I am looking to purchase more fragrances at the moment. I am in the market to buy one for day use and one for night/ party use. looking for any suggestions on my matchups thanks. You could say i'm into sweeter fragrances with coffee, vanilla, wood.

night:
    lolita lampicka
    paco rabanne 1 million (won marc's sample and loved it)
    M7 ( not sure about age never smelled it)
    Day:
    YSL L'homme
    issey miyake le'au de' issey
    Last edited by soccergod207; 31st March 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Hello Basenotes

Welcome to Basenotes, soccergod! Please make sure you read the "Starting Out" threads on posting.

Glad for you to jump in and get started! RPI? Best wishes on your college days.

If you can, try something classic, such as Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT. College girls are all too familiar with those aquatic scents, and Habit Rouge will be unique with its beautiful citrus/floral/leather scent. This can be had online for less than $50.00.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th March 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Have you considered or tested Ralph Lauren's Polo Double Black? A few of the main notes are mango, roasted coffee, and rich woods. Look it up in the Basenotes Directory and read the reviews if you're not familiar with it. And be sure to test it on your skin at a store to see if you like it. I think it's a great scent for a young guy.

Thanks for the posts, I will have to try both of those out.

and thanks for the support Primrose. I cant wait to start at RPI this fall.

If you're on a budget, you may like Jacomo De Jacomo Rouge. It's one of the few inexpensive fragrances that is more high quality than many of its competitors. To me.. It starts off as a JPG mixed with Cool Water Frozen, then settles down more into a solid JPG. In the beginning during its top notes I've been told by several people that I smell like macaroons. It's one of my favorite sweet fragrances and it renders more compliments than JPG which is hard to do. Need I mention it's quite reasonably priced 3.4 oz for well under 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    If you're on a budget, you may like Jacomo De Jacomo Rouge. It's one of the few inexpensive fragrances that is more high quality than many of its competitors. To me.. It starts off as a JPG mixed with Cool Water Frozen, then settles down more into a solid JPG. In the beginning during its top notes I've been told by several people that I smell like macaroons. It's one of my favorite sweet fragrances and it renders more compliments than JPG which is hard to do. Need I mention it's quite reasonably priced 3.4 oz for well under 20 bucks.
    haha suprisingly i have tried it, and it is very good, but as for budget anything designer really. not ready to get into niche just yet unless i find a good deal i can't refuse.

Budget? Rochas Man - can be had for less than $30 at those perfume stores in malls (like perfumeland, etc etc)

No budget? Bond No. 9 New Haarlem - you could still snag this for probably around $70ish on ebay... a richer, lusher, stronger Rochas Man
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin smells like 'dusty vanilla licorice' if that helps you out at all. My girlfriend thinks it makes me smell 'delicious' (you might smell a bit like a walking vanilla toffee).
    As a real 'cheapy', Bogart pour Homme can be found for less than $20, it smells similar to Lynx Axe but much richer (spices, vanilla, vanilla rum) and is a real hit with younger girls.
    l'eau d'Issey is really nice, I'd strongly recommend either that or Bvlgari Aqua as a basic 'day' fragrance. You can't go wrong with either of those two in my opinion.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 1st April 2010 at 03:19 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes. Definitely try Viktor & Rolf Antidote

Ya I just got a 1.7 Lempicka from Ross (believe it or not) for 14.99. Realities by Claiborne may be a good choice, it can be found very cheap online.. The smell itself is somewhat synthetic at first and quite cloying, but I would classify it as gourmand (although it does turn woodsy in the end)
    Versace Man if you wanna smell like a sweet synthetic mess. Blue Sugar is insanely sweet.. smells like cotton candy and then transforms into a slightly more refined sweet accord -- like vanilla wafers doused in liquid organic sugar or rock candy, it's sweet through and through from beginning to end and lasts insanely long. Of course there's Axe Dark Temptation if body sprays are your thing. Curve Crush if you don't mind headaches, or Cuba Gold for an even cheaper and stronger(at least in the opening) version of Le Male. Curve Kicks smells like candy but has horrible longevity. Diesel Green is pretty much all greens with some lime and vanilla incorporated -- very sweet though, this may be harder to find as it's discontinued, but it is a very nice underrated cologne. CK Obsession more sweet than spicy -- the name itself is self explanatory. Polo Double Black as stated earlier. Lastly although I'm not sure if this would be considered sweet or not would be Escada's Magnetism, to my nose it was more sweet than it was spicy, but something I just couldn't wear. Very powerful, excellent longevity, but one of those love or hate smells.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 31st March 2010 at 07:20 AM.

Versace The Dreamer is a sweet scent for daytime use (you can use it at night, too, it's really versatile)
    If you like chocolate get Angel Men for nighttime use.

Check out Animale Animale and maybe Body Kouros

Welcome! Maybe Armani Code if you're on a budget.