Code of Conduct

Default I think "vintage" Tabarome is light.

This thread is overdue. I promised StylinLA and TwoRoads that Iíd tell them what I meant when I said I found ďvintageĒ Tabarome to be ďlightĒ on a thread a month or so ago. Both of them politely asked what could be wrong with me and if their slapping me around a bit would help me smell straight again. Iím sure it would, but to stick to my hypothesis, I think ďvintageĒ Tabarome (VT) is a light scent, and these two fine gentlemen of the forum disagree with me, and find it surprisingly potent, a little of it going a very long way, with heavy masculine smoke, leather armchairs, and menís clubbiness broadcasting out. I quick perusal of the 46 (at this writing) reviews on the directoryís page suggests general agreement that VT is very powerful, and one to worry about clearing out rooms with.

I donít find it to be like that; I find it light, reserved, and even hidden. For me the worry is if I can get people to realize itís there more than worry that itíll be too powerful.

Hence this thread. (Which I didnít write earlier because it seemed there were several VT threads on the front page of the MFD already and several other overlapping threads.)

I could stop here and say I just find the stuff light, but that says so little. Iím now very close to the end of a 50ml spray bottle of it from a group buy, and Iíve got a flacon of my own waiting for me, so Iím pretty committed to the scent: when I say itís light I donít mean itís bad, but I do mean itís not Conan the barbarian in a suit. (None of its many defenders will say itís a barbarian, so I donít mean Conan in a barbarian sense, I mean Conan in a muscleman sense. What I mean to say is that VT isnít all power man, isnít one to apply lightly, and isnít ďpowerhouseĒ in the way weíve been using the term on the forum over the last couple of weeks.

Iíll find it a great compliment when Stylin and TwoRoads disagree with me and post how itís like the blast from Saturn V rocket engines when it comes off them. My experience and impression of the scent is my own, and Iím fortunate that many other readers will disagree with me and tell their contrary experience also. But if youíll all help me out, Iím happiest making this thread about the product in question, not the house that manufactured it. Itís the juice in the bottle that Iím most interested in discussing.

What is the deal with this scent? It smells blue, shadowy, and crepuscular to me. (Crepuscular is one of my favorite words. Penumbra is another.) I smell tobacco, but not heavy tobacco. I donít even smell cigars, I smell light tobacco, but not light cigarette tobacco. If I want a full tobacco touchstone fragrance I pick Miller Harrisís Feuilles de Tabac. If I want the nice lightness of blond and shredded thin leaves of unsmoked cigarettes I wait for the drydown of that first Anvers scent, after the peach in it subsides. Both of those, however, ring heavy with tobacco, while VT does not. VT has it, but it isnít much of menís club ďTabaromeĒ (whatever that word means) full tobacco thing. Thereís some other things in the blend that make the tobacco hide. Hell, read through the 46 reviews on the review page and every third reviewer has a different mental list of whatís in this juice. Everythingís in it if you read all of them: tobacco, leather, amber, lime, vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, tea, ginger (yes I mean in VT), orris, powder, mustiness, musk, pepper, Humphrey Bogartís lost hair, Lauren Bacallís eyelashes, Winston Churchillís memoir drafts, some monarchís missing ermine cape, and good grief who knows what else. Too much to get an olfactory picture, thatís for sure.

To me the smell is cool, almost chilly, like stepping out of bright sunshine into shadow and feeling your perspiration on your shirt suddenly making you cool. Cool like the refreshing moment when you remember your eyes are more comfortable now that youíre out of the sun. Thereís something blue in the smell, and for a while Iíve thought there must be some lavender like Guerlain uses in Jicky, Mouchoir, and Lavande Velours, but after reading the reviews Iím now thinking itís the orris that helps give it some powder too.

This isnít a scent that broadcasts itself. The coolness is like your private coolness when the first cold wind of the evening comes to tell you itís not hot anymore. Itís a private moment, a private reminder, and the scent is private to correspond. Itís a shadow, a change to darkness but never quite darkness either.

I donít pick up the leather, any patchouli, but I do think I pick up some sandalwood and I would not be surprised if thereís vetiver holding some of the other stuff together. But itís a light, and tight blend of whatever the ingredients are. No one has ever picked up on its being there and mentioned it to me. It doesnít announce itself. Iíve smoked a couple hundred cigars in my times, and lived to tell the doctor so, but I donít get from the scent unlighted cigars--I get an attempt to get a tobacco accord smell using the orris and sandalwood and musk, I think. Iím a lay person, so I certainly donít claim to say what gives the tobacco feel to this, yet nothing stops me from speculating such that it answers how I think about the scent. But I donít get heavy tobacco, and what tobacco element thatís there seems hidden by other tightly blended yet light things and overshadowed by them. It seems like tobacco, but just not quite.

Again, I donít mean the scent is bad. Iíve worn probably 48ml of it, and will yet wear a few hundred ml as well, but might take pleasure in making sure Azsmells can wear some too. So I know the smell well and have given it scores of days of wear. Itís horribly comforting. A few years ago Equipage was my most worn scent of the year because I picked it each morning when I didnít want to make the decision to wear other stuff. Over the last two years VT has filled this same niche in my mornings: when I didnít want to think, I put on VT. It never disappoints me, except that it isnít strong enough to get any damn attention. Too damn subtle and light. Even people hugging me donít comment on it, and yes, dear Basenotes friends, there are people who hug even me. Getting hugs often means getting scent commentary for me. VT doesnít bring that.

All the pleasure of the VT experience has to be mine. Once it was particularly wonderful, and that was at a major league baseball game I went to early last season. The scent is renowned among the reviews and many fans here for lasting a long long time, but because of its shadowy lightness, it flakes out on me and I lose the smell later in the day. Last May or June, at an early season evening game, the sun moved off my seat and behind the bleachers, and wow, the VT smell that came up was unlike Iíve known it early in the day(s). It seemed heavy with its orris/lavender blueness, over deep rich sweet musk, and it was really wonderful. I hoped I seldom got this wonderful scent because my nose adjusted to it, so I could still sniff predators or something, and I wished it would stop. I wanted this blue sweet musk all the time, but really, I donít get that. When I go sniffing the bottle hoping I can find those elements, Iím hit by the dominant almost sour powder of the scent. Not leather, not tobacco, and not chalk-striped dark suits at the menís club.

I didnít know Iíd write so much, so I apologize to all and give thanks for reading all the way through.

The upshot is I just find the scent too light, too etherial, not on a mark corresponding to elements for which itís renowned. It doesnít smell like Equipage, but it functions fine in the same high-quality, high-class, super reliable comfort juice.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: I think "vintage" Tabarome is light.

It's nice to see someone else feels that VT is a light scent. I totally agree. I find it to be a "comfy" scent - the equivalent of comfort food.

It's a good frag, but not amazing. I had a 2.5 oz. tester, but I never wore it, so I traded my bottle with another member last week. I don't regret it.
    Last edited by shamu1; 31st March 2010 at 04:55 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes, the first thing I thought when I sampled it for the 1st time (a month or so ago) was...wow, this is a lot like Windsor by Creed (not the notes or the smell...the feeling). A nice, sheer, very well blended, quality-smelling fragrance. But yes, light. It makes sense Chris, even as I sense your respect and admiration for it.

It is (was?) reportedly one of Creeds most expensive formulas and is composed of over 60 ingredients...in that respect it resembles the classics of the 50s an 60s (wasn't one of the Patou frags reported to be composed of over 200 ingredients). I find VT to be one of the richest and heaviest Creeds...the base is loaded with leather, sandalwood and moss and when worn in warm, humid weather the scent blooms and envelops me in a leathery chypre accord wrapped in a pungent tobacco note.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    It is (was?) reportedly one of Creeds most expensive formulas and is composed of over 60 ingredients...in that respect it resembles the classics of the 50s an 60s (wasn't one of the Patou frags reported to be composed of over 200 ingredients). I find VT to be one of the richest and heaviest Creeds...the base is loaded with leather, sandalwood and moss and when worn in warm, humid weather the scent blooms and envelops me in a leathery chypre accord wrapped in a pungent tobacco note.
    I hear you Double-Zed, but I just don't get that, and my friend how I wish I would. It seems to stay light on me and, to my regret, I'd never think to say it's been pungent for me.

I will not doubt the experience of DustB and Shamu, but it is pretty heavy duty when I wear it. I can't break down the notes, just rich and manly.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I will not doubt the experience of DustB and Shamu, but it is pretty heavy duty when I wear it. I can't break down the notes, just rich and manly.
    Sorry about the blabbering length, my friend. Never thought you doubted me, of course. Does my description of the smell fit with what you smell though? Does what I describe just seem stronger when it's on you?

Thanks.

I find it heavy in the sense when compared to many modern scents (AdG light blue etc), but I do understand the light comfy aspect some BNers are describing.
    for me personally, I consider it a pretty powerful fragrance
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Sorry about the blabbering length, my friend. Never thought you doubted me, of course. Does my description of the smell fit with what you smell though? Does what I describe just seem stronger when it's on you?

Thanks.
    Nonsense. I'm flattered you put so much thought into it.

I'm not enough of a notes head yet. (But mrclmind's video reviews have me sniffing my wrist and looking for notes. Really wrestling with L'Instant lately.)

I can't tell what notes I'm getting in VT, and I can totally believe ZZtops assertion that it's comprised of 60 ingredients or so. I get tobacco perhaps more than anything, but it is certainly a unique tobacco and blended with a lot of other notes. I have nothing to reference it against but to me it's cigar, not pipe or cigarette.

On me VT, is fairly heavy. When I wear it, I feel cloaked in old style manliness. It's a more mature scent, but I AM "mature." Maybe it doesn't project as much as I think. Perhaps it's just a scent I am very aware of when I wear it. I'm still pretty new to it.

Your base of comparison is much larger than mine, and I can see where it is possible you find it light. I too find it a comfort scent.

BTW: I believe I read somewhere in here Tabarome was thought to be a marriage of "Tabacco" and "Arome"
    Last edited by StylinLA; 31st March 2010 at 06:44 AM.

I find VT drier than most tobaccos, with a slight harshness to it, but also, not very strong at all. Certainly many other tobaccos are far stronger, In fact, most of them are, to my nose.

I know VT has many devoted fans, but for me it has a slightly chlorine-like edge ( and chlorinated is definitely not one of my favorite words ), and doesn't appeal. It's actually one of my least favorite tobaccos.

DustB is a good friend and one of the people I most respect on Basenotes but my experience with Vintage Tabarome could not be more different.

VT's sillage and longevity are enormous - anything more than one spritz and I am knocking people down at a distance of fifteen feet.

Skin chemistry is very important but, even accounting for that, it still seems like we are describing different fragrances. Creed fragrances are known to vary from batch to batch, perhaps we just describing extreme batch variations.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

For any number of reasons, this one may vary on people. I don't doubt DustB and Shamu. It sounds like TwoRoads and I experience it similarly.
    I'll wearing it today and keeping DustB's experience of it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    For any number of reasons, this one may vary on people. I don't doubt DustB and Shamu. It sounds like TwoRoads and I experience it similarly.
    I'll wearing it today and keeping DustB's experience of it in mind.
    I am with you StylinLA, it's my SotD as well!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

i guess Two Roads must share a sample with DustB and bring an fruitful end to this Epic post

DustB: so glad ot have you back! enjoyed your post word by word. im now curious myself to sample this...

DustB, what an wonderful, unselfconscious, facilitating, post.
    Its interesting, Vintage Tabarome, as I have experienced both perceptions and cannot tell which one is correct.
    One factor is that it has in my opinion suffered from reformulation, or degredation of available materials, at least a dearth of valuable moss. Or something. The older is stronger.
    Another perception I have is that it seems strong but "off the radar" somehow, like a loud sound at a frequency just on the edge of audibility.
    I'll wear it tomorrow and see.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I feel quite the opposite - it's very much a heavy hitter on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I totally agree . It's incredibly complex and rich, it combines pungency, sharpness, dense sweet florality, creamy thickness and somehow manages to make great beauty from what should be a total mess. Without meaning at all to denigrate divergent perceptions and realizing this is often an all-too-comfortable explanation - anosmia to some ingredients (synthetic enhancers?) may be a factor. E.g., I'm certain I'm anosmic to something in Amouage Dia that makes it a wisp of a fragrance for me, where others get dark oriental baroque.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matiŤre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pťnŤtrent le verre.

Gentlemen,
    Thanks many times for the replies. Stylin and TwoRoads, I'll catch up to your wearings tomorrow and wear VT. (I wish it were already baseball season for the good memory--I'd go see a game to fit the scent.)

TGL, no denigration felt, I don't think it's a case of anosomia however. When I put this stuff on I use six or so shots easily (I hear the gasps), and my atomiser puts up a good spread with its fine mist. With that much and the logic of other posters' experiences, I should be hearing about it or seeing movement from the people I end up being around. Again, oddly I don't.

I'm most provoked by TwoRoads's observation that this might be a batch variation. The source of this group buy is unimpeachable, and the product was purchased from Parfums Raffy five plus years ago. There's no way it has been tampered with after purchase. TwoRoads might be correct that batch variation accounts for our divergent experiences, and that sure makes me want to pop the stopper on my waiting Private Collection Tabarome flacon deep in the closet.

When I do that I'll say so here for sure. It'll be a trip if it teaches me that so many of you are right, however, the scent I've got isn't odd, isn't without longevity, isn't without development--it's just without ooompfy might and power! I wouldn't exactly say it's pungent, as I replied to Double-Zed, but TGL uses the term as well, so, well, maybe I could think of what I called sour in it as pungent, but I might be getting caught up in words instead of smells. Sour doesn't exactly do the smell justice either.

Oh, one more thing I keep forgetting to mention. I'm certain this is the Private Collection Tabarome, which we often call vintage Tabarome here. None of the above corresponds to the more recent "Tabarome" product the house makes, in the "Millesime" line. Readers of this thread may wonder if I don't have the two confused, especially since I mention that a reviewer includes ginger in VT, while ginger is a significant ingredient in NT, or new Tabarome, the different more recent version. I have bottles of "New" Tabarome and know it is different.

I'll join you tomorrow.

6 Sprays....(THA_THUMP)

I fainted.

I really have to wonder how much difference there is in bottles of this stuff now. Same thought occured to me when I read Shamu's review and some of his other comments. Shamu and I both like some of the power scents, and I couldn't believe he found it that light.

This is certainly not what I would call a power frag, but six sprays from my bottle would choke me and anyone within 10 feet for hours. I used three sprays today- pretty lightly, and I can experience some of DustBs original comments.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st April 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I wore the last of my Vintage Tabarome sample tonight to a very classy fundraiser/dinner in Miami...and my GOD this stuff is awesome. I'm so not a Creed fan boy but when they get it right, they get it RIGHT. Extremely satisfying, engaging, complex, sophisticated...wearing this stuff is a unique very special experience and I'm glad I've gotten the chance to smell it since it's so darn rare these days.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree VT is a very special fragrance for very special occasions. It is an example of the great quality ingredients and masterful artwork Creed used to use in the old days. Despite the fact it claims to be from the 19th Century, VT is really more a 1920s-1950 type fragrance. I fragrance of this complexity would have neither been feasible nor popular in the 1870s. I am a Cred fan boy, but only of the good, old fashioned ones I regularly bolster such as Vintage Tabarome, Royal Scottish Lavender, Jasmal, Citrus Biggarade, and Selection Verte. These ones really are far from what is fashionable in the market today and we ought to enjoy them while we still can with the reformulation axe swinging above our heads.

My biggest regret is selling my flacon of VT many years ago though I'm happy it went to someone like DustB. At the time I thought it was too heavy and old fashioned, now I love it. I have a decant I use sparingly. I've always thought of it as a cold weather fragrance but now I'm curious to try it in the blazing summer heat here in Phoenix.

Thanks for the insight, a good starting point before purchasing this classic

The two notes that hit me up front and drown out the tobacco are pepper and tea. It's not what I would consider to be a typical tobacco scent by any means. As DustB mentioned, there's Miller Harris which does it quite well (albeit with its own array of various notes) as well as Odori's underrated Tobacco (I don't get the ashtray comments on that; it's very much tobacco and incense).
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com