Code of Conduct

Default What should I wear for an interview tomorrow?

Going tomorrow to meet with a neuroradiologist to talk about research opportunities he might have for me this summer. It's raining tonight (in Philly), but it'll be clear by late tomorrow morning, around 48 degrees (F)

Here's what I have to choose from:

(My wardrobe)

John Varvatos
    John Varvatos Artisan
    Armani Code
    Burberry Brit
    Burberry London
    Kenneth Cole Black
    B*men

(Decants)

Polo Double Black
    YSL L'Homme
    Hugo Dark Blue
    Geir Ness
    D&G The One

Right now I'm leaning towards Burberry Brit, personally.

Default Re: What should I wear for an interview tomorrow?

Whatever you wear, 1-2 sprays max.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Geir Ness, and what Anthony says.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

A suit, shirt/tie, polished shoes and no fragrance.

Good luck!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st March 2010 at 04:14 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That would be the best scenario. However, if being scentless will make you nervous or under confident, one (2 light) chest sprays under your shirt is the max. Do not get any scent on your hands so that when you shake hands it transfers. I've been on many interview panels and when that has happened, it really has soured my opinion of the applicant.

Good luck and get that position!

A light application of Burberry london!

Whenever I see these threads about interviews, I question what I would do. I suppose I probably would wear something very light. Many of my scents are a source of a kind of "confidence" for me.

But then too, I look at all the experiences I've had at work with people who I've heard go on tirades about interviewing someone whose scent they hated and think you're better off with none. As a fellow fume head, it pains me to say that.

It's also in the medical field, and a lot of medical facilities are frag free zones.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 31st March 2010 at 04:20 AM.

I think its a bit too late in the season for London, personally, it's just starting to feel like spring in Philly. I definitely heed the warning about being frugal, and fragrance really isn't tied to my own self esteem =P I usually wear it to make a good impression in the rare cases when its noticed.

Why do you suggest going scentless, just to avoid the chance that the interviewer finds the scent offensive if he happens to notice it?

edit: Stylin, is that common out west? I've never heard of that in the hospitals where I've worked and done rotations at over here
    Last edited by AlexbroPA; 31st March 2010 at 04:24 AM.

No fragrance is the safest bet, but I'm not known for safety.

The One (two sprays, one to each inner wrist, and dab each wrist behind the corresponding ear).

London or Code

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    Why do you suggest going scentless, just to avoid the chance that the interviewer finds the scent offensive if he happens to notice it?

edit: Stylin, is that common out west? I've never heard of that in the hospitals where I've worked and done rotations at over here
    I don't know enough to say it's "common" but I do know a GF just started work at UCLA med center and they lectured her about no "scents."

Yes, scentless to the interview to keep from pissing off someone. I'm sorry to be very blunt. I love frags, you love frags, we all love frags here. But I work with a boss who would CLEARLY have some sort of pissy diatribe if someone wore a scent he didn't like, or perhaps even ANY scent at all, to an interview. He comments on it a lot, especially with women. Imagine what he must think of me rotating 40+ scents. LOL. He nibbles around the edges of insulting me, BUT, I was in the job before he got there.

I just think an interview is a very delicate situation. Why take a chance on any negative? The pessimist in me thinks interviewers are in reality looking more for reasons NOT to hire someone. I don't know all the scents in your wardrobe well, but I'm sure none of them are in Kouros territory. But there are a lot of people in the "real" world outside of here who have tons of issues with frags. ANY frags. That interview is their chance to lord over you.

After you're hired, you can be the "cologne guy" all you want.

You also say "in case he" notices it. You may already know you're being interviewed by a man. I've worked with and for a lot of women, and scents can bring up issues for them too.

But, I do like Spray's attitude as well. Cheeky monkey. A lot of depends on your personality. Spray probably would NOT get the job if he surpressed his fumes.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 31st March 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Definitely scentless for an interview, as one never knows what the interviewer(s) may consider. It's safe. Wait for the hire before bringing out the scented YOU.

CLEAN but scentless is always best.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 31st March 2010 at 04:49 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

YSL L'Homme
    or
    D&G The One
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

probably Geir Ness 2 sprays max = smells like fresh spring mountain air
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

What?! How horrid!!!

Good luck!
    Ditto that! (and as a woman I would ditch the tie. :-) the more neutral, the more the REAL YOU AS EMPLOYEE will stand out, IMO. Save the frag for when you get the job.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    What?! How horrid!!!
    Oh, I know, it's unthinkable... but the economy right now...

(that's the limit to my late-night advice... off to bed for me, um, NOW.)

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I don't know enough to say it's "common" but I do know a GF just started work at UCLA med center and they lectured her about no "scents."

Yes, scentless to the interview to keep from pissing off someone. I'm sorry to be very blunt. I love frags, you love frags, we all love frags here. But I work with a boss who would CLEARLY have some sort of pissy diatribe if someone wore a scent he didn't like, or perhaps even ANY scent at all, to an interview. He comments on it a lot, especially with women. Imagine what he must think of me rotating 40+ scents. LOL. He nibbles around the edges of insulting me, BUT, I was in the job before he got there.

I just think an interview is a very delicate situation. Why take a chance on any negative? The pessimist in me thinks interviewers are in reality looking more for reasons NOT to hire someone. I don't know all the scents in your wardrobe well, but I'm sure none of them are in Kouros territory. But there are a lot of people in the "real" world outside of here who have tons of issues with frags. ANY frags. That interview is their chance to lord over you.

After you're hired, you can be the "cologne guy" all you want.

You also say "in case he" notices it. You may already know you're being interviewed by a man. I've worked with and for a lot of women, and scents can bring up issues for them too.

But, I do like Spray's attitude as well. Cheeky monkey. A lot of depends on your personality. Spray probably would NOT get the job if he surpressed his fumes.
    Great feedback. Yea, I'm familiar with the guy, we've corresponded over email and talked on the phone briefly about a few possible projects. He seems like an easy going guy, but I definitely get what you're saying =P

Quote Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
    Great feedback. Yea, I'm familiar with the guy, we've corresponded over email and talked on the phone briefly about a few possible projects. He seems like an easy going guy, but I definitely get what you're saying =P
    Yeah, I'm a member of mainstream corporate America and have some issues with it at times. The "power" an interviewer has is unmatched at any other point in their day, or in your career if you get the job.

One spray of The One to give yourself the personal support and warmth! Even if they get a whiff, I doubt it would seem offensive.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

1 spray of London under your shirt.

I interviewed for a job (and got it) in January this year and I wore a light application of Prada Amber pour homme. It's got a really clean barbershop feel to it, which matched very well with the crisp white shirt and slate grey suit I wore. It comes off as being "clean".

Whatever you do, do not, double underscored and in bold wear B Men.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 31st March 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Very small quantities of Burberry London

1-2 light sprays of Brit, YSL l'homme or Geir Ness to the chest.

Wear the cologne as a tie and try as hard as you can to expose yourself to dangerously high levels of gamma radiation. It'll show that you have experience in the field, and worst case scenario, you'll turn into the Hulk.

I'm jealous.

Absolutely nothing or a very fleeting eau de cologne. Good luck!

No fragrance.

Let us know what you wore, Alexbro

Geir Ness, my friend. Lightly, obviously.

None... Why take the chance??

Blog Entries

I know no fragrance at all is the safest bet. But for myself it would have to go with Gendarme.

Since you don't have that I'd probably go with Geir or L'homme as has already been recommended.

Good luck, and let us know what you wore and how it went.

I have an interview tomorrow, and am going to wear two sprays of The Dreamer.

One spray of Artisan should be good. Geir might be too strong for an interview situation actually, but Artisan is so weak that there shouldn't be an issue.
    I refuse to sink.

Quickly buy a 2ml sample of Chanel's Allure or Egoiste. They are great for a suit. Try them both and buy one of them.
    Also, I have a 2ml sample of Terre d' Hermes. I imagine it being great for a suit.
    Another refined scent is Habit Rouge. I bought a sample of this from the mall.
    Quickly go and buy a sample from a perfume shop.

From what you have... I would say Burbery London is great for an interview. L' Homme is good too.
    Don't use Armani Code, that's an evening fragrance.
    Don't use B* Men or other loud fragrances because you might not get the job.
    Don't use BOOORING or fresh fragrances.
    Sorry, but I am not your age and do not know how it is for you.

Jimi Hendrix

one spray of L┤homme YSL

Nothing