Code of Conduct

Default Istanbul - perfume shopping?

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Istanbul next week and would love to try to hunt down some interesting or unusual perfume shops. Does anyone know the city well enough to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Istanbul - perfume shopping?

Did you find a good place to buy perfumes in Istanbul?

Fill us in on the gory bits of Istanbul please!

Yes, please do tell us if you've found good places for perfume shopping. I live in Turkey and I've yet to find any store that has niche lines other than Harvey Nichols and they only have a tiny selection (Annick Goutal, Tom Ford Private Blend, Etro, Comme Des Garçons, Clive Christian, Bond No. 9 and Amouage). And as for the interesting and unusual perfumes, I think there may be some exotic and mostly Arabic style numbers in Kapalıçarşı (the Grand Bazaar) in Istanbul, but that's just my guessing.

I just bought some oud oil in the grand bazaar!

well, I'm afraid istanbul is not that great for perfume shopping.
    what you can find in arabian style is almost definitely low quality stuff way overpriced, aimed towards tourists who expect to find oriental stuff.
    even for raw materials like resins/incense you have to look hard.

there are almost no turkish perfume manufacturers except for local drugstore brands.
    best you can do is to get some turkish lemon and tobacco colognes, which are traditional, and may be considered worthwhile.

I'm afraid I can't say that I made any amazing perfume finds in Istanbul. In fact, I didn't buy any perfume at all.

I did have great fun sampling the different essential oils available in the Spice Bazaar, but I didn't buy any of them, because the affordable ones weren't very impressive, and the impressive ones were way too expensive! I was given all sorts of different oud oils to try, but all the affordable ones were a chemical concoction relying too heavily on synthetic civet. (I'm pretty sure I wrote all about this on my blog last year.)

I don't wish to sound too negative. I'm sure there are places in Istanbul where one can find high quality materials - after all, Turkey produces a world renowned rose oil - but I suspect these are all off the tourist track.

By far the most amusing aspect of Istanbul's retail perfume scene is a chain of shops selling scents that have been designed to resemble bestselling French and American perfumes. I forget the chain's name, but it was worth a visit, for a laugh.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Istanbul Perfume shopping

Where can I Shop for Frederic Malle perfumes in Istanbul?

Default Re: Istanbul Perfume shopping

Sariptates would know.

for swap/sale:

and here I am.

no frederic malle here.
    harvey nichols in kanyon mall is pretty much the only shop that sells niche fragrances, and they don't sell malle.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    and here I am.

no frederic malle here.
    harvey nichols in kanyon mall is pretty much the only shop that sells niche fragrances, and they don't sell malle.
    Thanx saripatates,
    Which other niche fragrances can be found at harvey nichols ?

by killian, tom ford private blend, bond 9, cdg, etro, amouage, armani prive, acqua di parma, escentric molecule, clive christian, annick goutal... and some more.

sarıpatates , what about Brandroom? They actually list pretty much the same brands as at Harvey, but as far as I unterstood it's still separate shop.. ?
    http://www.brandroom.com.tr/

it is a separate shop yes, and most of their shops don't carry fragrances. I know they have all in nişantaşı, but I'm not sure about the rest. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also, I forgot to mention that there is a separate jo malone shop located very near to harvey nichols in Kanyon mall.

Dariushka, Brandroom is owned by Demsa Group, which also runs Harvey Nichols, so it should have what HN has.

There's a new store in Istanbul, which was recently opened in december, as Ormonde Jayne' blog reports .
    http://parfumtasarim.com/neleryapiyoruz?lang=en
    La Deesse
    Teşvikiye cd. No:113/2 Nişantaşı

They sell Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Keiko Mecheri, Miller Harris, Ormonde Jayne, Robert Piguet, Place des Lices, YS UZAC and Acca Kappa and home products such as Tiziana Terenzi, Gianna Rose Atelier and The Laundress…
    Your Perfume Guide (all about city shopping guides and list of parfums by dominating note)

Quote Originally Posted by Dariushka View Post
    There's a new store in Istanbul, which was recently opened in december, as Ormonde Jayne' blog reports .
    http://parfumtasarim.com/neleryapiyoruz?lang=en
    La Deesse
    Teşvikiye cd. No:113/2 Nişantaşı

They sell Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Keiko Mecheri, Miller Harris, Ormonde Jayne, Robert Piguet, Place des Lices, YS UZAC and Acca Kappa and home products such as Tiziana Terenzi, Gianna Rose Atelier and The Laundress…
    Yes, one of owners is an ISIPCA graduate and they are both perfume aficionados. Nice store and they carry good brands. Got meself a bottle of Acca Kappa 1869 and I enjoy it

Hi;

I'm heading to Istanbul in few weeks to look for stores able to distribute niche high end perfumes.

Could you please tell me who are the main retailers in Istanbul?

Is there any other big cities with interesting retailers for niche perfumes?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    and here I am.

no frederic malle here.