Code of Conduct

Default You're my favorite reviewer

Reader,
    By completely reasonable logic, I've read your posts and seen your reviews. I've seen your SotD posts (and you lurkers who haven't posted either, indulge me and pretend I have because my question is going to apply to you too) and kept track of how I end up liking the things that you like. You're my favorite reviewer, dear reader, so because I admire your taste, I'm asking you personally (we can pretend this is a PM) what your two most recent fragrance joys are, and wonder if you'll tell me what they are so I can go smell them and have my horizons broadened.

I've liked your fragrance tastes recently, so what should I pick out according to you now?

(I'm anyone asking, so tell me according to YOU your latest wows, what I myself have tried so far doesn't matter.)

Thanks very much!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: You're my favorite reviewer

Oh how very kind of you!

The most recent wows for me have been:

Diptyque's Philosykos and
    Floris Elite.

Well, maybe Halston 1-12, but that wouldn't be one of my most recent wows.

Thanks so much for asking!

I hear modern psychiatry is amazing.
    Last edited by Spray; 31st March 2010 at 07:51 AM.

My latest "wows" are:

Ambre Sultan and Mirto di Panarea

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I hear modern psychiatry is amazing.
    That was I telling you that. It's good that you remember the important part.

Basenotes Plus

Penhaligon's Endymion.
    Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
    (Honourable mention - Santa Maria Novella Ginestra).
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 31st March 2010 at 02:32 PM.

so eerie

I have been thinking to buy a mountain bike lately
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Black Soul & Ninfeo Mio

Basenotes Institution

Interesting thread guys ! *LOL* Sorry nothing more to add but a smile !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm flattered, Dust! I had no idea you held my opinions in such high regard!

May I suggest you pick Tea for Two back up. After ignoring my sample for a couple years, it really made an impression the other day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My two most recent "wows" have been Hermessence Vetiver Tonka and Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe. Both, to me, are absolutely captivating! And thanks for your sweet words. I never knew you felt that way!

Well now, since you're hanging on my every word and all...

My two latest wows are:

Creed Windsor and MPG Eau Des Iles

“I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

My two latest wows are:

Parfumerie Generale Papyrus de Ciane-This will be my Easter Sunday fragrance as it just seems like spring in a bottle to me.
    Dior Homme Ambre Nuit- The more I wear this the more I am impressed with it.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 31st March 2010 at 04:16 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    PS by Paul Sebastian

What a pleasant surprise! I never knew you knew I existed! I am much a lurker on most days but the oddity of your thread has caught my attention
    It just so happens that two and just two frags have been arousing my intrigue: Safari by Ralph Lauren and the reformulated Azzaro pour Homme which I smelled for the first time last week and found to hit the right spot for me after many attempts at trying to get the vintage to work on my skin. The slight transparency of the reformulation helps ward off a stuffy, wearisome, almost stale drydown that happens with the vintage (one me). Safari I found to exude a sweet grass-root-y scent that reminds me of the vintage Guerlain Vetiver. Not quite the same but it evokes a similar feeling of lying in fine dewy grass on a cool misty morning.

Two very common fragrances that have been around almost forever yet an entirely new experience for me
    Last edited by Xen; 31st March 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior
    Scent Two: Laurel by Monocle x Comme des Garcons
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 31st March 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Maxims Pour Homme & Tiffany for Men are the two I have been really enjoying lately.

And MPG Santal Noble - I hope it reappears soon.

Agua Brava and Varon Dandy. These wowed me not only because they smell great, but because it has made me want try out more fragrances from Spain.
    Last edited by shamu1; 31st March 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Mazzolari Lui.
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanilla.

Here in San Francisco, I seem to find a new true love every time I visit Barney's. To my complete surprise, Serge Lutens' Fille en Aiguilles has been the first pine scent I truly love ( I'd already written it off as something I'd hate given the reviews ). The Comme des Garcons Luxe series impressed me too, both Patchouli ( which is kind of like Sables Plus ), and more so, Champaca ( pure, spring-like narcissus - there is nothing else I've smelled quite like this ).

Meanwhile, some things I tried back at home are calling me to make them full bottles, namely, the evil jasmine of Gandhara, and the limpid greenness of Amoureuse.

DustB, you are far to kind with your words

I'll give ya two here :

Fahrenheit Absolute : The more I wear it, the more I like it. At first, I thought it may not be so nice to my nose, but I do enjoy it now certainly.

and

Il Profumo G-11 : A green tobacco scent. The green aspect is not too harsh. Usually, pine does not sit will with me. The tobacco seems more like ciagrette to me ( hope that doesn't make you not want to try it )
    Last edited by Surfacing; 31st March 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

What a nice surprise! Thank you for your kind words.

Well, I'm not sure if any of these are up your alley but 2 recent fragrances that surprised me with their performance were:

Signature pour Homme by ST Dupont - evolving but lightly smoky, even boozy incense

and

Organza by Givenchy - white floral oriental with the perfect amount of indoles

Oh how very kind of you!

The most recent wows for me have been from the Soivohle Studio Collection:

Massive Patchouli: A big dose of both patch and vetiver, unsweetened, dry very straightforward.
    Sonoran Leather: A slightly heavy hand of thick clove spices up this leather offering which ends smelling very animalic.

Well, maybe Miss Balmain, but that wouldn't be one of my most recent wows.

Thanks so much for asking!

DustB - LOL

my current favs

Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli (it's nothing like those Rose + patch scents out there.. very unique, wearable, myterious and intriguing)
    Serge Lutens Cedre (after all these years, i still love it)

I recently bought some Kenzo Power for the spring. I am hoping that this "manly" floral goes over well.

I finally decided to give Rochas Man a try, even though I haven't been a big fan of chocolate frags from past experience. This one, though, is a suprise.

Chris,

Niche can be great, and I have experience with and own more than just a few. However, I'm in scentemental's camp here, believing that it's the special, classic, and/or knockout designer frags that really rock! On that count, my experience just this morning, with a newly-arrived mini, is my latest scent revelation. The scent? L'Homme, from Lanvin. My 2nd choice is truly discriminating, which I know you to be - Spazio Krizia Uomo.

Enjoy, be well, and take the best of care.

I've been for a while looking for something easy to wear for spring, and found two (because I often wear things like Black Aoud and L'Air de Rien, every once in a while a guy needs a palate cleansing)... Narciso Rodriguez Musc Collection and CdG Artek Standard. Both are interesting enough to keep my nose fascinated but easy enough to wear without pondering them all day.

As a side note, now that it's a bit hot with a slightly cool breeze wafting through the palm trees, I'm reaching for Guerlain Vetiver almost constantly.
    Last edited by nthny; 8th April 2010 at 03:30 AM.

Sur la Plage

Well Chris, you MUST try Halston Man and Costume National Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think I have learned more from you than you will ever learn from me. With that, I am a little embarrassed to say that I finally got around to Dior Homme. Very nice. I was surprised I didn't know about this one before.

I was so happy to finally find Dior Fahrenheit Absolute but it didn't wow me like Dior Homme, which was on the shelf next to it. I smelled pretty good the whole flight home

Brin de Reglisse and Black Tourmaline. Two contrasting fragrances that smell equally "non-perfumey"
    Sales thread here

I know this is completely counterproductive. But, I've got to log off, and I didn't even have the time to read the replies, but this thread idea is fascinating. So I shall update with my response tomorrow! Til' then good night!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Haven't sampled anything new in a while, but I recommend trying A*Men Pure Malt and Fahrenheit Absolute...

Having sampled more than my usual lately -- which still isn't a whole heck of a lot -- i've discovered admiration for Encre Noire and Tea for Two. The former for it's dark, earthy and strangely sneaky take on vetiver. I don't think i've experienced another scent with such a lack of top notes. The later for it's amazing smoke, honey and (thankfully) subtle vanilla. I liken it more to a cigar than a cup of tea, and I've had a fair variety of Lapsang Souchong.

Given that spring is in the air, Amouage Ciel Man is a must sniff. This is one of those scents that if you wear it in the right weather and mood (cool, sunny, blue skies - one of those spring mornings where you feel particularly alive and everything just seems a little bit more vibrant) it is truly sublime.

To be honest, that is the only scent that has really, deeply wowed me in some time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

1. Aqua Velva Ice Blue A/S. Call me crazy but I have just discovered this juice and it has that subtle backbone that I just love. And talk about inexpensive! Just look at the Scent Pyramid:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Lavender, Peppermint, Petitgrain, Lemon .

Middle Notes
    Clary Sage, Jasmin, Vetiver, Sandal, Cedarwood .

Base Notes
    Labdanum, Musk, Amber, Moss, Leather.

This is a minor masterpiece in my opinion. Not a damn thing in there I don't like and it lasts well over 6 hours on me!

2. Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre.

This is a kick-a$$ earthy vetiver of Homeric proportions. Soapy to some extent and with a definite herbal backdrop and the Adolfo Dominguez house 'feel' to it also. Do you want to know just what vetiver smells like up close and personal? I sprayed ONE spritz to the chest as SOTD a couple of days ago and after 10 hours it was still taking no prisoners, the vetiver having morphed several times into both quieter versions and louder versions throughout the day, each version nicer and somewhat different than the previous. Oak moss definitely in the drydown also. Not an every dayer but for those certain days this ripped-out-grass with attitude is not going to let you forget you are wearing a definitively Spanish flavored Frag!

Hahah!...Toro!
    Last edited by kbe; 1st April 2010 at 05:23 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

The reformulated Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah now has a lighter touch, a wonderful rosemary note and better staying power. I've found it addictive. First scent I've wanted to wear for a week at a time since high school and my BFF relationship with Polo. Don't think the new formulation has made it to the States yet; mine was a kind gift from Roberto.

Yes, of course we are DustB and DustB

Well, checking both your drobes we didn't see you've tried
    1. Baie de Genièvre by Creed. Yes, it was made in (1982) but I've just discovered it recently
    2. Iskander by Parfum d'Empire--an amazing citrus with amazing longevity.

Mario's evil twin Who Must Not Be Named also recommends to the 2nd DustB:

1. Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence A great leather!
    (We believe he tried it 300 years ago when it was first made, but we're unsure )

Cheers,

M (where did I put my meds?) J
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    You're my favorite reviewer, dear reader, so because I admire your taste, I'm asking you personally (we can pretend this is a PM) what your two most recent fragrance joys are, and wonder if you'll tell me what they are so I can go smell them and have my horizons broadened.
    Why,thank you! I can tell you have discriminating taste and therefore will bestow upon you the mystery that is my most recent "Wow!"

My mother came to visit and she is notorious for having opposites tastes as mine. So I was "Wow"ed to discover I like (and more than actually tolerate) her Givenchy Extravagance.

My second "Wow" came a few days later, as I was trapped in a car with her, on the way to the airport, as in "Wow, Mom, you are wearing a LOT of something that is very very strong!" She said, "Do you like it? It's Red." I never did find out if it was Giorgio Beverly Hills or Bill Blass.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

My latest "wow" acquisitions are:

CoSTUME National Scent Intense and
    MPG Santal Noble

These follow closely on the stellar heels of Heritage, Tiffany for Men, and PdN NY.

Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles

Frederic Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse

Thanks for the compliments and trust, DustB. I love sharing my Wows. Lately I've been into Lorenzo Villoresi, Loewe, and Spainish/ Italian scents suitable for summer and spring. My Favorite is L.V.Uomo. My other wow is Annick Goutal Vetivier. IMHO it is just such a unique take on a familiar note.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what is going on in this thread...
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.