Code of Conduct

Default May I please have some suggestions? (for you Basenoters w/ some patience)

Hail, champions!

Okay, so I'm going to try to make this as concise as I can. I'm hoping that by giving a few details, some of you might have one of those "aha!" or "____ is perfect for you!" moments.

So, onto the details about me...

* Born & raised Hare Krishna (but not currently practicing), so a heavy exposure to a whole lot of oils, incense, and musks from India. I also happen to like most of them, except I don't like patchouli and nagchampa by themselves, but almost every (well-designed) fragrance/cologne I've smelled that has these common Indian scents in them have been delightful.

* I'm a huge metal fan (death metal, black metal, sludge, doom, all of it) but I also really like Classical, Neo-Classical, Neo-Folk, Darkwave, Industrial, Oldies....

* I'm very reclusive (a hermit), intelligent (I think), comedic (I try), musically creative (have had a band for 11 years now), narcissistic, positive but extremely cynical, libertarian (non-extremist right-wing, although I'm not too heavily into politics), a bit immature (but my 20-month-old-daughter has changed that quite a bit), short-tempered, impatient, and I consider myself to be somewhat feminine (although some people I've met said they were afraid of me... ???).

* I like spicy food & italian food the most.

* In general, I don't like sweets or sodas (except I do like good chocolate).

* I own:
    1) Acqua di Gio (long time fan, but it's gotten very old)
    2) Dirty English (don't really like it)
    3) Bulgari Black (like it alot, although I don't like vanilla or sweet scents, there is something quirky here)
    4) Bulgari pour Homme Soir (absolutely LOVE this one)
    5) L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (classy, but WAY too sweet... returning this)

* I'm hunting down a lot of colognes right now, but #1 on my to-get list is D'Orsay's Chevalier. (Smelled a sample a while back & fell in love)

* I have my eyes on Cartier's Pasha (and a few others by that house), several Creed scents (only ever smelled SMW which was not bad at all... like a rich man's AdG), and a few others.

* Here is a list of samples I just ordered from perfumeshop.com & theperfumedcourt.com:

Arome 3 by D'Orsay
    Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay (can't afford it yet, lol!)
    Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Black Jeans for Men by Gianni Versace (I remember liking this one)
    Cravache for Men by Robert Piguet
    Eau de Cartier by Cartier
    Terre D'Hermes for Men by Hermes
    Heritage by Guerlain (EDP)
    Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma
    Noir Epices by Frederic Malle
    Antaeus by Chanel

Okay, so that's pretty much it! I realize this was more of an introduction of myself than a request for suggestions, but I'm only giving this info in case it may help.

Thank you in advance for any comments, suggestions, insults, soul-shattering statements about my flawed character, accusations of terrorism... whatever!
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 31st March 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: tried to make the post look not-so-lengthy

Default Re: May I please have some suggestions? (for you Basenoters w/ some patience)

Oh, and I'm 32 years old & live in North Central Florida where it is very hot and humid most of the year, which I absolutely HATE (but boy do I love it when it is cold).
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 31st March 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: May I please have some suggestions? (for you Basenoters w/ some patience)

You should most definitely try L'artisan's Dzongkha and Timbuktu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    You should most definitely try L'artisan's Dzongkha and Timbuktu.
    Hmm, very interesting. Both seem like eastern scents, which I like. I'm always worried about eastern scents because they generally end up either smelling like an unwashed hippy or incredibly cheap (or both!).

I am adding these to my test list/wish list. Thank you so much, Rain!

Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget like?
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

If I'm buying online and I've already tested it, I'd be getting a medium-sized whatever-it-is to see what I think of it over time, in which case, I could do about $80 for a 3.4oz. Anything more and the cost-to-benefit ratio would probably not be worth it to me (at least for now).

Prada Infusion D'Iris has a woodsy flower thing going on in the beginning, nothing mind-blowing. But after 15 minutes it starts turning to incense, and it actually reminds me of some nagchampa incense I used years ago.

This is marketed as a woman's fragrance, but I think it straddles the unisex line. It smells more masculine on skin than on paper. If you come across a sample you might want to try it. On a scale of both lightness and "masculinity" (on my skin) I'd place it close to Bulgari Soir.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes ! Thanks for sharing with us !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

hmmm interesting

i'm a fan of sweet scents, and if you find l'instant sweet, you will find heritage even sweeter.

If you want something not sweet, give Guerlain Vertiver a try. As well as Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by Virabhadra View Post
    Hmm, very interesting. Both seem like eastern scents, which I like. I'm always worried about eastern scents because they generally end up either smelling like an unwashed hippy or incredibly cheap (or both!).

I am adding these to my test list/wish list. Thank you so much, Rain!
    While I was reading your post, it happened what you asked for - I had an AHA moment. These two perfumes are light, but with substance and character. Dzongkha is made to be a reminiscence of a Buddhist temple, and in my opinion it succeeds, the key element being that it is a temple where you can breathe. Perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour created both, and in an interview once he said Dzongkha is to him the dearest creation of his all. Timbuktu's incredibleness lies in it's transparency combined with lightest, but palpable incense - I like it very much, and although it is marketed as unisex, I find it more suitable for a male, and perfect for hot and humid weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, taking into consideration what you have told us about yourself and what you have liked so far, I would put forth:

- Versace Black Jeans (which you already beat me to)
    - Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme
    - Dior Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir
    - L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    - Jil Sander Man
    - Azarro Visit

I would also recommend samples of:

-Hotel Costes
    -Costume National 21
    -Dzing!
    -Amouage Jubilation XXV
    -Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    -Amouage Reflection Man
    -CdG Jaisalmer
    Last edited by morrison74; 31st March 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

CdG Zagorsk or my beloved Kyoto! Anything from the Commes des Garcons Incense series, really, and not sure why, but L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer is coming to me when I read your post. It is very monastic.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Thanks / Like

you mentioned incense and musk.

try some Kouros on; it's magical.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    you mentioned incense and musk.

try some Kouros on; it's magical.
    I tried the Kuoros today and it was a little too "in your face" for me. I definitely understand why you would suggest it; it does smell eastern for sure (I do smell the incense & maybe the musk) but if I go with a fragrance along these lines, I would want it to be a little more transparent... and perhaps have more of a "classy" edge. Does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just curious: is this interest in fragrance recent or has it always been something you were interested in?

I would also recommend that you pick up a copy of Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's book, "Perfumes, The Guide". Besides being a great read (it's so well written), it would provide you with tons of options to explore.
    Last edited by Effluve; 1st April 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Effluve View Post
    I'm just curious: is this interest in fragrance recent or has it always been something you were interested in?
    It is fairly recent. I started getting into all of the fascination & research involved with the hobby when I bought a bunch of samplers on a whim and smelled Black Jeans by Versace, XS by Rabanne, Le Chevalier by d'Orsay, SMW by Creed, and a few other ones that aren't worth mentioning. I had no idea how many scents were out there and I was so thoroughly impressed by the d'Orsay, I decided to dive in.

Then my girlfriend got pregnant and I became a dad. My daughter was born about 20 months ago and my new-found love for cologne was replace by a new-found love for a certain human being. Hehehe. Aside from my interest, my time was swallowed by this leviathan responsibility, as I'm sure you can understand.

So recently I decided I didn't love my daughter any more and wanted to grind her into a paste and wear her as a scent.

Hah! J/K. I've never loved anyone more in my life, but I have come to the realization that I don't need to wear a scent to impress others---it makes ME feel good and it's a hobby I can appreciate and feel good about.

That's pretty much my story. Off and on, I've been researching and smelling these things for about 3 years or so. I have yet to get my hands on a bottle of d'Orsay, but when I do, it'll be a big one.

By the way, KILLER suggestions from you guys! Seriously. I've got all kinds of suggestions now which I'm sure will take me countless hours and devour sleepless nights.