Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Il Profumo Fragrances

Has anyone tried any fragrances from this line, and if so, what are your thoughts/impressions?

Thanks!

http://www.ilprofumoshop.com/home.html
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Il Profumo Fragrances

I tried quite a few men's samples from this company late last year. Personally some smelt pleasant to start with, but they either faded away very quickly on me, or they left a chemical smell, but other people's skin will be different, so I'm certain many people will like these and they are definitely worth trying out.

I own two and love both of them-- Aventure and G11.

However, there are many others in the line I tried but wasn't overly wowed about... especially some that from descriptions seemed a perfect fit. And thus, the moral of this story is, don't be fooled by good ad copy!

From many of those I'd tried, there is a common base that seems to be employed... a bit saccharine-sweet, which in and of itself would sound awful, but oddly enough it does work well in Aventure. G11 is an absolute must-try, though; smoky, in a Jean Paul Belmondo/ Galouise way. A major compliment-getter

If we graciously ignore that the nauseating midi-music on the website sounds like the Who's the Boss theme song, this is not an uninteresting house. I love Vetyver, which is a traditional-style spicey-floral composition balanced to perfection, not actually a strongly vetiver-focussed scent. Subtle, but very long-lasting, great with fine clothes, whether business or casual. I also like Touaregh a lot, though I have yet to buy a full bottle. It's a bit more "modern" in notes, but has the same subtlety and balance. The chocolates are good for gourmand lovers.

Edit: I agree, aventure is a good one, too, though perhaps even more conventional. G11 I personally found too dry, but if you like that style it's worth trying.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 31st March 2010 at 02:38 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have tried Cafe Vert, Ambre d'Or, Chocolat Amere and Vetiver di Java. Of the four I have tried, I enjoy Chocolat Amere the most; the chocolate is tempered with enough spice and woodsy notes to balance the sweetness.

Cafe Vert is a very transparent fragrance, featuring a light and pleasant herbal coffee note backed by light floral notes that is very enjoyable to wear especially in hot weather.

The other two I have not tried for well over a year, but if memory serves me correctly Ambre d'Or smelled a lot like Musk Lifesavers (how I miss Musk Lifesavers) and Vetiver di Java is a lightly smoky vetiver/incense/floral mix. I might just have to break out my samples/decants of these to refresh my memory.
    Last edited by surreality; 31st March 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I got a sample vial of Pioggia Salata when I was in Rome. It has 6 floral notes and is supposed to evoke a beach-y theme (sand, palm trees). I don't get anything beach-like, oceanic, or aquatic here. It is an EdP so it is rich and dense. At times it has a clean/soapy smell, other times a smooth floral smell with a bit of spice and amber. It sits close to the skin.
    Nothing to wow me, and not really my style. But it seems like good quality.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I sampled quite a few of them in Rome a year and a half ago, and the standout for me was Vetiver de Java. It’s one of those rare frags that smell both very classical and balanced, with no gimmicks, yet completely modern and relevant at the same time. I get great longevity and interesting progression with it also as it goes through its stages. I really enjoy wearing this one.

I also have a few samples of G11, which I also really like. I would probably purchase it if I ran across it…it reminds me very strongly of Helmut Lang Cuiron.

What I have always wanted to try are the “Absolu’s” of their scents, which I did not see testers for where I was sampling. I actually started a thread about the Absolu’s a while back to see if anyone had tried any, but got no feedback.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Institution

Only Chocolat Amere. Death by chocolate. Wow.

Touaregh, Patchoulli Noir and Vetiver de Java are the best of what I have tried. The 3 Chocolate ones are all too sweet on me.

Vetiver de Java is by far my favorite of any current vetiver on the market. It's quite underrated.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Cologne de l'Empereur

A high quality natural eau de cologne. Not bad at all. The opening is bright citrus and candied fruit with a floral heart and a civet type base. Probably not worth the price though for this type of genre.