Code of Conduct

Default new here - looking for a couple of recommendations

Hello. I've never really been into fragrances, but for some reason I started paying attention to perfumes and colognes lately, and I feel like getting a couple of them. This forum being full of knowledgeable people, I was hoping I could get some recommendations from you.

To give you some idea about my image and personality:
    I'm on my early thirties, and I wear a suit at my workplace. Off work I'll dress less conservatively, but I try to keep a modern smart urban look. My friends say I project an intellectual image, vaguely ambiguous, and kind of introvert. I usually wear clothes and accessories in shades of grey, blue, purple, and pink.

As I don't have much experience with fragrances, it's hard for me to describe the scents I like and dislike. I'll do my best, though:
    Can't stand vanilla or coconut. Generally speaking, I don't like sweet nor fruity scents. I like citrus, though, if not too sweet, and the same goes for flowers. I like "green" fragrances, but I prefer forest green to grass green. I don't enjoy the soft aquatic fragrances that seem to be the hype nowadays, but then again I like the harder scent of the winter ocean.

As I said, I'm looking to try a couple of different fragrances... Something I can wear at the office, classy and discreet, and something to wear on a night out on spring/summer time, dinner and a couple of drinks at a nice bar or nightclub - gin tonic's the poison.

I live on a large european city, and I should be able to find all major brands, but niche products would possibly be a problem.

Many thanks for your time and your patience!
    Last edited by pedrorf; 31st March 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Default Re: new here - looking for a couple of recommendations

Hello pedrorf! Welcome to the biggest fragrance discussion in the world!!

I'd say l'eau d'issey is worth a try. Maybe Guerlain Vetiver? I would also recommend the smoky aquatic Bond no 9 Bleecker Street.
    Last edited by boosh; 1st April 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Make sure you test out a cologne before buying it. They all smell differently as they transform from the top notes to the base. You might like the opening then not like the smell in a few hours. Take your time. Ask the salespeople if you can get a sample.

Acqua Di Parma Colonia - A bit of citrus rind, a bit of rose. Refined and classic. Very easy to wear anytime. Light enough that you won't offend anyone in the office. A great sophisticated starter scent.

Also Geo F Trumper Colognes. Should be pretty easy to find in Europe.

Last edited by adonis; 1st April 2010 at 12:40 AM.

My number one recommendation would be Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Lasts all day long, inoffensive, and can be had cheap (does NOT smell cheap though). check it out.

Some excellent recs above.

What about Dior's Eau Sauvage? It's a classically done citrus fragrance.

I echo the recommendation for Guerlain Vetiver.

Annick Goutal's Mandragore or Duel are also ones you may wish to try.

Chanel's Eau de Cologne is excellent.

Good luck, and welcome to BN.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

You are obviously a Chanel No. 19 kinda woman.
    Dosn't get much greener than this ...

I'll second the Eau Sauvage and the Guerlain Vetiver but what immediately came to my mind was Hermes Equipage or Guerlain Habit Rouge. Definitely want to reiterate that you try before you buy. I like to visit a perfume counter once in a blue moon during my lunch break and wear it back to the office to see how it measures up.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Welcome to Basenotes pedrorf

I'll recommend :

Mugler Cologne, Fahrenheit and Versace Black Jeans. Also, give Encre Noire a try.

Best of luck
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

You're a man?!!
    Excusé moi..!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes!

For the office:

Bulgari pour Homme
    Esencia Loewe
    Chanel No.19
    Cerutti 1881
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    CdG Sequoia
    Creed Original Vetiver

Still with 'green' for the evening:

Chanel Sycamore
    Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDP
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 6th April 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's funny how all of a sudden I feel like I discovered an unused sense. I ended up getting fahrenheit, which feels magic to me, deep green and fiery at the same time. Could as well be napalm in a perfume bottle, for all I now. Also got Rive Gauche, which I use by daytime. Next in line will be Dolce & Gabbana pour homme. Boy, am I addicted...