Code of Conduct

Default Adjusting a suit jacket

How much can a tailor adjust the chest measurement of a suit jacket?

I've had a number of suits and jackets from a particular maker over the last 10 years or so. So confident in size, that I had bought them online a few times.

Last father's day I got a classic grey pinstriped suit. Love it. However, either they've slimmed the cut or I've filled out a little (umm... take your pick). I was pretty much between sizes, and decided to go up in size.

Mistake. It's a just a little too big on me through the chest. Yes, I'm picky. How much can this be adjusted?

If money weren't an issue, I'd just go get another that I like... but I'm still in grad school (humanities, even) with a young family. I'll consider selling it on the 'bay, but I'd love to keep it if I can make it fit.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Adjusting a suit jacket

Depends on the price of the suit; because you need to compare

[cost of owned suit + alterations] vs [cost of new suit - net sale income from your owned suit]

Big through the chest can probably be adjusted by a good tailor without too much detraction from the original build. I've routinely gotten 36R slim-cut suits tailored down to what basically is a 34R chest.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Tailors can't really do anything about the chest per se. What they can do is take the waist of the jacket in, i.e., around the buttoning point. As a general rule, I'd say you can take it in up to about half a size (e.g., 42 to 41) before it starts to look unbalanced. And, of course, they can't really do anything if it's too big in the shoulders either. If you need it taken in a full size or more, it's probably not worth it.

Yeah, I've definitely considered the math. The hang up is whether I want *this* suit (I really like it, sentimental reasons since it was a Father's day gift, etc.). Thanks for the tips. I would need to take it down about half a size, but I really don't want to risk throwing off the overall balance. We'll see. Thanks again for the comments.

And there's also the issue of finding a *good* tailor. heh heh.

2 options:

1- make jacket smaller
    2- make chest bigger

If it is just barely too large, you could try hitting up the bench press machine once a week for a few months, assuming you aren't already.

Post pics...

but generally if you went a size to big, chances are the shoulders are too big, and that's not fixable.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads