Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are Amouage scents worth it?

I just received samples via luckysent of Dia and Jubilation XXV. XXV smells good (very similar to Montale Patchouli Leaves) and Dia smells excellent. Very very complex and classy. At $300 a pop, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting bored with it. I think I'm going to get several more samples and sniff around awhile. Any others by this house to check out. Homage has high reviews. Could a man pull this off?
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 1st April 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Are Amouage scents worth it?

Amouage do sell a decent larger sample set, maybe worth checking out if you like quite a few, but don't want to rob a bank to buy full bottles of them all.
    The set contains 6 of their best selling fragrances (they do a set for men and women) these are EDP 7.5ml – Lyric, Jubilation XXV, Reflection, Gold, Dia & Silver. The bottles are decorated with crystal glass and this costs around 120 in the UK. I would imagine someone in USA also sells this set.

Homage is a beautiful scent but make no mistake it is a very feminine fragrance. The Tribute attar though is more manly and can be worn with no worries.
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

Basenotes Institution

Jubilation XXV (the Jubilation 25 is for women), Dia For Men and Homage are must-try's.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Also, I can't pinpoint which one it is, but either LV Sandalo or Etro Sandalo smell almost identical to Jubilation XXV for Men.
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 1st April 2010 at 10:38 PM.

I have 50ml of the Dia and I am very happy with that puchase for what it's worth. I wouldn't want to "load up" on Amouages, but that one was worth the money to me.

If you are fond of scents made in the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you are fond of scents made in the Middle East.
    I like a lot of Middle Eastern scents; but Amouage use very good perfumers (mostly French) and really do cater to western sensibilities. They don't smell all that "Middle Eastern" to me personally.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st April 2010 at 10:46 PM.

If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses before a purchase that large for something you think just smells nice.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses before a purchase that large for something you think just smells nice.
    Maybe I went too far. It does have similar patchouli notes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Maybe I went too far. It does have similar patchouli notes.
    I can see how this scent could be perceived as having a patchouli constituency, but I really think it is an illusion of the composition itself. I don't think there is much (if any) of a true patchouli presence in Jubilation XXV.

Edit: I stated that wrong... the patchouli doesn't smell up front to me in this scent... but I'm sure it's in there. Perhaps you are very sensitive to that particular note.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 2nd April 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries

XXV, Lyric, Epic, Dia and Silver for men are all Great Fragrances...........This house is a winner in my books!! Lyric is the best IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Homage is a beautiful scent but make no mistake it is a very feminine fragrance. The Tribute attar though is more manly and can be worn with no worries.
    Homage doesn't smell particularly feminine to me. Another nice more affordable masculine attar is Bahjah.

Bahjah is a blend of Musk, Frankincense Oil, Lime Oil and various noble woods.

Amouage Gold, Dia, Jubilation XXV, Lyric and Ciel are worth it every cent. You can see that they are complex fragrances, with aromas that doesn't feel cheap at all. They smell so expensive as their price indicates. I don't detect any patchouly notes on Jubilation XXV. Patchouly has to me an herbal smoky undertone that jubilation xxv doesn't have. Jubilation is more like a smoky incense fruity liqueurish thing, very goldish at it's smell. Everytime i use it i feel very elegant and like a million dollar guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    ... At $300 a pop, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting bored with it. ... Homage has high reviews. Could a man pull this off?
    You can get bored with any fragrance, regardless whether you spent $300 or $3000 (yes, there are some that cost that much and more), so the pricetag alone won't guarantee that a scent will keep you excited forever. Neither will the validation by any other Basenotes members, even the most experienced ones, tomorrow they may get bored of whatever scent they're vouching for today. The only way is for you to get a frag (find a decant if you don't want to commit to spending a lot of cash for a full bottle) and find out for yourself by wearing it over a period of time.

I went through several phases with XXV myself - from almost not being able to smell it to suddenly seeing its beauty and potency/longevity, thinking that it's one of the most beautiful frags in the universe to a sober realisation that there are others equally good or better. If you liked XXV and generally enjoy frankincense, give Tribute a try, it has the cleanest, softest, most exquisite frank note in the opening of anything I've ever tried. The mid-notes is another matter though...

Homage can be seen both ways, some think it's perfectly unisex, others (myself included) see it as strongly leaning towards feminine. I can still pull it off but not everyday, this one needs special mood and confidence.

I just bought a second 100ml bottle of Epic. And yes, it's worth every penny!

My favourite by far is Dia. Gold I like but I can only take in small bursts as it is STRONG.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've tried two Amouage fragrances so far, and both are ranked in my top 5.

Lyric man is my number 1, It's so beautiful and subtle.
    Reflection man is the other, my girlfriend LOVES this one!

I am going to buy a bottle sooner or later. If they lowered their prices I would have bought both already.
    I find the longevity to be great with both the fragrances I've tried. Maybe this factor makes them worth the price??

I tried Gold and loved it. Still, I do not justify their excessive prices.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Yes, they are.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

For sure!!!

Yeah I reckon Amouage is definately worth it!

The scents are great, the packaging is wonderful, and they really have a fine attention to detail and a personal feel to them. When you buy a bottle, there is a little Amouage branded card underneath the bottle that is hand signed by the person that filled/inspected your bottle.

A wonderful brand. This is what niche is all about!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd April 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

No, they are not IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Molten Gin

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses...
    Very well-said. I second this.

IMHO, just because Jubi XXV has a little patchouli and sandalwood doesn't mean it's similar to Patchouli Leaves and Etro/LV Sandalo. Using this logic, Jubi XXV would be similar to countless other scents!

As for the question about whether or not they are worth it -- yes, but do try to find it less than retail @ LS. Anyways, I enjoy the attars Homage, Bahjah, and Al Andalus and would suggest you trying them. Tribute is also good, but may be more "difficult."
    Last edited by moltening; 2nd April 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Currently wearing: Pohadka by YS Uzac

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

If you think they are worth it, then they are. But if you had to ask for opinions on a fragrance's worth, then I don't think you're ready to make this purchase.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Yes, they may cost alot, but they are worth (alomost) every penny.
    You must be very lucky if you have Amouge. I don't even know where do you find Amouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
    Yes, they may cost alot, but they are worth (alomost) every penny.
    You must be very lucky if you have Amouge. I don't even know where do you find Amouge.
    In Europe, http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ or http://www.mankind.co.uk/

For me, it's mostly about boredom. I generally need about a month between wearings for most of the frags in my rotation, and the cost doesn't seem to have anything to do with how quickly I get bored with the particular frag.