Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are Amouage scents worth it?

I just received samples via luckysent of Dia and Jubilation XXV. XXV smells good (very similar to Montale Patchouli Leaves) and Dia smells excellent. Very very complex and classy. At $300 a pop, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting bored with it. I think I'm going to get several more samples and sniff around awhile. Any others by this house to check out. Homage has high reviews. Could a man pull this off?
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 1st April 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Are Amouage scents worth it?

I really liked amouage Gold, but to be honest I do not see myself wearing it everyday
    actually, no more than once a week IF that
    you should try to get a decant of the ones you like, a full bottle is too much Amouage to handle!
    I am still waiting for my Homage sample, I hope to find out soon
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Amouage do sell a decent larger sample set, maybe worth checking out if you like quite a few, but don't want to rob a bank to buy full bottles of them all.
    The set contains 6 of their best selling fragrances (they do a set for men and women) these are EDP 7.5ml – Lyric, Jubilation XXV, Reflection, Gold, Dia & Silver. The bottles are decorated with crystal glass and this costs around £120 in the UK. I would imagine someone in USA also sells this set.

Homage is a beautiful scent but make no mistake it is a very feminine fragrance. The Tribute attar though is more manly and can be worn with no worries.

Basenotes Institution

Jubilation XXV (the Jubilation 25 is for women), Dia For Men and Homage are must-try's.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Also, I can't pinpoint which one it is, but either LV Sandalo or Etro Sandalo smell almost identical to Jubilation XXV for Men.
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 1st April 2010 at 10:38 PM.

I have 50ml of the Dia and I am very happy with that puchase for what it's worth. I wouldn't want to "load up" on Amouages, but that one was worth the money to me.

If you are fond of scents made in the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you are fond of scents made in the Middle East.
    I like a lot of Middle Eastern scents; but Amouage use very good perfumers (mostly French) and really do cater to western sensibilities. They don't smell all that "Middle Eastern" to me personally.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st April 2010 at 10:46 PM.

If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses before a purchase that large for something you think just smells nice.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses before a purchase that large for something you think just smells nice.
    Maybe I went too far. It does have similar patchouli notes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Maybe I went too far. It does have similar patchouli notes.
    I can see how this scent could be perceived as having a patchouli constituency, but I really think it is an illusion of the composition itself. I don't think there is much (if any) of a true patchouli presence in Jubilation XXV.

Edit: I stated that wrong... the patchouli doesn't smell up front to me in this scent... but I'm sure it's in there. Perhaps you are very sensitive to that particular note.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 2nd April 2010 at 12:14 AM.

XXV, Lyric, Epic, Dia and Silver for men are all Great Fragrances...........This house is a winner in my books!! Lyric is the best IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Homage is a beautiful scent but make no mistake it is a very feminine fragrance. The Tribute attar though is more manly and can be worn with no worries.
    Homage doesn't smell particularly feminine to me. Another nice more affordable masculine attar is Bahjah.

Bahjah is a blend of Musk, Frankincense Oil, Lime Oil and various noble woods.

Amouage Gold, Dia, Jubilation XXV, Lyric and Ciel are worth it every cent. You can see that they are complex fragrances, with aromas that doesn't feel cheap at all. They smell so expensive as their price indicates. I don't detect any patchouly notes on Jubilation XXV. Patchouly has to me an herbal smoky undertone that jubilation xxv doesn't have. Jubilation is more like a smoky incense fruity liqueurish thing, very goldish at it's smell. Everytime i use it i feel very elegant and like a million dollar guy.

... At $300 a pop, I don't know if I want to run the risk of getting bored with it. ... Homage has high reviews. Could a man pull this off?
    You can get bored with any fragrance, regardless whether you spent $300 or $3000 (yes, there are some that cost that much and more), so the pricetag alone won't guarantee that a scent will keep you excited forever. Neither will the validation by any other Basenotes members, even the most experienced ones, tomorrow they may get bored of whatever scent they're vouching for today. The only way is for you to get a frag (find a decant if you don't want to commit to spending a lot of cash for a full bottle) and find out for yourself by wearing it over a period of time.

I went through several phases with XXV myself - from almost not being able to smell it to suddenly seeing its beauty and potency/longevity, thinking that it's one of the most beautiful frags in the universe to a sober realisation that there are others equally good or better. If you liked XXV and generally enjoy frankincense, give Tribute a try, it has the cleanest, softest, most exquisite frank note in the opening of anything I've ever tried. The mid-notes is another matter though...

Homage can be seen both ways, some think it's perfectly unisex, others (myself included) see it as strongly leaning towards feminine. I can still pull it off but not everyday, this one needs special mood and confidence.

I just bought a second 100ml bottle of Epic. And yes, it's worth every penny!

My favourite by far is Dia. Gold I like but I can only take in small bursts as it is STRONG.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've tried two Amouage fragrances so far, and both are ranked in my top 5.

Lyric man is my number 1, It's so beautiful and subtle.
    Reflection man is the other, my girlfriend LOVES this one!

I am going to buy a bottle sooner or later. If they lowered their prices I would have bought both already.
    I find the longevity to be great with both the fragrances I've tried. Maybe this factor makes them worth the price??

I tried Gold and loved it. Still, I do not justify their excessive prices.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Yes, they are.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

For sure!!!

Yeah I reckon Amouage is definately worth it!

The scents are great, the packaging is wonderful, and they really have a fine attention to detail and a personal feel to them. When you buy a bottle, there is a little Amouage branded card underneath the bottle that is hand signed by the person that filled/inspected your bottle.

A wonderful brand. This is what niche is all about!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd April 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

No, they are not IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    If you think Montale Patchouli Leaves and Jubilation XXV smell very similar then, no, I don't think you should buy Amouage. I think you should let your nose develop and sample lots from various houses...
    Very well-said. I second this.

IMHO, just because Jubi XXV has a little patchouli and sandalwood doesn't mean it's similar to Patchouli Leaves and Etro/LV Sandalo. Using this logic, Jubi XXV would be similar to countless other scents!

As for the question about whether or not they are worth it -- yes, but do try to find it less than retail @ LS. Anyways, I enjoy the attars Homage, Bahjah, and Al Andalus and would suggest you trying them. Tribute is also good, but may be more "difficult."
    Last edited by moltening; 2nd April 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

If you think they are worth it, then they are. But if you had to ask for opinions on a fragrance's worth, then I don't think you're ready to make this purchase.

Yes, they may cost alot, but they are worth (alomost) every penny.
    You must be very lucky if you have Amouge. I don't even know where do you find Amouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
    Yes, they may cost alot, but they are worth (alomost) every penny.
    You must be very lucky if you have Amouge. I don't even know where do you find Amouge.
    In Europe, http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ or http://www.mankind.co.uk/

For me, it's mostly about boredom. I generally need about a month between wearings for most of the frags in my rotation, and the cost doesn't seem to have anything to do with how quickly I get bored with the particular frag.

I forgot to mention...YES..they are worth every penny..

A big YES!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Directly at Amouage's online shop! Cheaper thant anywhere and fantastic customer service!
    Last edited by Ender; 3rd April 2010 at 07:11 AM.

Boosh - in uk you could try http://www.fascination-perfumery.co.uk/ fast service, with samples or Harrods, no samples so far! - think that if you can stretch to 100 ml sizes these are a lot more reasonable over here, partly due to exchange rate.
    Have also noticed that you can pick them up consistently for a lot less on ebay UK, some UK sellers are listing sealed ones fairly regularly and a few people sell ones that they don't want - I picked up a womens' Jubilation for about £75 as the seller didn't like it - admittedly it was not sealed as she had tried it, but her feedback was good. Just need to check feedback & don't get involved if in doubt!
    Last edited by lpp; 3rd April 2010 at 10:12 AM.

I really like Epic of all of them. Whether you end up hating or loving any of them, they are certainly worth sampling. I just got a sample of Tribute.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Boosh - in uk you could try http://www.fascination-perfumery.co.uk/ fast service, with samples or Harrods, no samples so far! - think that if you can stretch to 100 ml sizes these are a lot more reasonable over here, partly due to exchange rate.
    Have also noticed that you can pick them up consistently for a lot less on ebay UK, some UK sellers are listing sealed ones fairly regularly and a few people sell ones that they don't want - I picked up a womens' Jubilation for about £75 as the seller didn't like it - admittedly it was not sealed as she had tried it, but her feedback was good. Just need to check feedback & don't get involved if in doubt!
    Thanks for that, looks like they sell some decent stuff, will definitely be using that site!

Thank you

I've had a half full bottle of Epic (got it from someone who didn't like it) which I really like ,and and now I'm expecting a new sample of it and Lyric (I've heard is better than Epic?)

I dont see the point of the question , if you love it and can afford it , then its worth it ......

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I dont see the point of the question , if you love it and can afford it , then its worth it ......
    my question was mainly are they worth 6 times the money of a cologne that is IMO as good or better?
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 3rd April 2010 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    They don't smell all that "Middle Eastern" to me personally.
    Agreed. I am nowhere near the level of expertise of mrclmind, but the Amouages hit me as striking a balance between Middle Eastern perfume sensibilities married to Western tastes. Some probably lean more Middle Eastern than others (Gold perhaps?)

As to whether they're worth 6 times the money, that's sort of an unanswerable philospohical question in my view. It's also very subjective.

There is an art and design aspect to fragrance. How do you judge whether or not a Picasso is really worth that much money? Or any piece of art?

A Smart car will accomplish the objective of getting you from one place to another. Are other cars worth 6 times as much? They sell a lot of cars that cost way more than 6 times as much as a Smart car.

If your primary goal is "best bang for the buck," then no, they probably will not qualify along with many other frags that are pricey. You can find scents that are much cheaper that you may love as much or more than any Amouage. Rive Gauche Pour Homme is $39 and is a fantastic scent.

If you really like one of their scents and can afford it, then yes, they're worth it.

If you've tried them and there are other scents that are better in your opinion, buy those. It's your nose and your wallet.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd April 2010 at 08:44 PM.

my question was mainly are they worth 6 times the money of a cologne that is IMO as good or better?
    Well the answer is clear then - no, they aren't worth it (to you - this whole perfume thing is far more subjective than say, engineering) if you feel that something 6x cheaper is as good or better.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I personally think they are more fulfilling sometimes, but not always worth it.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Thanks for that, looks like they sell some decent stuff, will definitely be using that site!

Thank you
    ur welcome
    .....notice there's less Amouage on ebay today - scammer caught yesterday, didn't have v.good feedback!

Like anything in life. Something is only worth it if you're willing to pay the price yourself. Some Amouages are worth it to me,and others I wouldn't wear if you gave me a bottle. None of the diluted ones with alcohol are worth it to me. Only some of the attars are worth the high price to me.

The ones I find worth the money are:

Homage
    Tribute
    Bahjah
    Amouage Al Shomukh Attar
    Al Andalus

Maybe they're worth it to those of us who have fallen in love with them, but not to you if you prefer something else!
    It's all down to personal taste (or smell!) in the end ....

Buying perfumes is like eating caviar or drinking a fine wine - money doesnt come into the picture, you pay for the rarity, exquisite ingredients and quality of overall presentation.

Amouage for the above stated reasons are second to none. And their fragrances are magical !

Hillaire

Rationalizing the purchase of Amouage fragrances is easy for me, as I can easily anticipate purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of fragrances in a given number of months, anyway.
    So, given the choice between an Amouage I can absolutely love and say six barely-okay fragrances, I can eagerly justify the purchase.

Moreover, it should be noted that many Amoauge fragrances are so concentrated they honestly pay for themselves quickly. Much smaller amounts are needed and re-application is never necessary. I find my Ubar, my Gold, and my Dia last as long as I don't shower and linger on my jewels and scarves for months.

I find this to actually be the case with many very pricey high-end items (like face creams, for example), though...that the sheer concentration -- assuming you are pointedly prudent -- makes big purchases not only justifiable but wise, in the long term.

That said, if you don't love them to death, it's not worth it.

Basenotes Institution

I'm bumping this thread !
    I ordered some Amouage samples from Luckyscent- waiting breathlessly for them to arrive because although I have tested these so often duty free- I can't for the life of me, remember what they smell like except for Ubar ( here's looking at you, Hillaire, Aromi - I know you both love it ! ) Love Ubar BTW!

I read online that Gold for men is very lovely -with oakmoss too !
    So what are your thoughts on Gold for men - it is wearable by women ? It just sounds like it's got more of an interesting 'ooomph' than Gold for women .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

On amouage.com you can buy a miniature set of six different fragrances (there're two different sets male/female). Each bottle holds 7.5 ml. The bottles really look nice, like miniatures of their full size bottles. The price for the set is about the same as one 50 ml bottle. I guess 7.5 ml would last quite a while due to the concentration? Anyone bought it?

Edit: Some links
    http://www.amouage.com/boutique/products/?ID=204
    http://www.amouage.com/boutique/products/?ID=205

My whole family use Reflection Man. We all love it and it's my signature scent. Silver Man is pretty decent too and is usually my second choice. I find Epic revolting. Gold gives me an instant headache that lasts hours. Opus II is great for fall and winter but I just can't buy another Amouage at the current time.

After enjoying Amouage for a while and going back to my designer fragrances, the difference in ''quality'' is obvious. '

Really, the decision is entirely yours.

Gold for Men was too much (overpowering) for me, which really does mean something... I couldn't see why this should not be fine with a woman's skin. I much prefer 'understatement' and elegance in the form of Ubar, but I LOVE sheer beauty in the form of Lyric Woman.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Larimar ! I will be back with my thoughts on Amouage as soon as I can my samples. I do know that Amouage is just quality with a capital Q.
    I have never disliked any Amouage I have tried - except for the prcie tag of ocurse - but you get what you pay for, I guess.
    Ubar is quite fantastic .

IMO, these 4 are worth buying:

Dia man
    Epic man
    Jubilation XXV
    Ciel man

Just a heads up to anyone considering ordering Amouage samples...

I highly recommend getting them from Parfums Raffy. I'm not affiliated with them at all, I just got my bottle of Reflection Man from them and have bought samples from them in the past. The reason I recommend them over Luckyscent is that for $6 from Parfums Raffy, yuo get an official Amouage sample with the official packaging. These are about 2ml each and come in a very nice small atomizer with cap, which also has Amouage and the name of the fragrance printed on it. You pay between $4 or $5 from Luckyscent for a small 1ml dabber vial. You just get a lot more for your money at Parfums raffy. Also, you can order multiple 2ml samples from PR to sort of "make yourself" a decant. 2ml for $6 equals $3 a ml, which is basically the per mL price of most of the 100ml bottles - so you can basically get a decant of any size at the same per mL cost of a full bottle. That's unheard of with any other niche line.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia
    I read online that Gold for men is very lovely -with oakmoss too !
    So what are your thoughts on Gold for men - it is wearable by women ? It just sounds like it's got more of an interesting 'ooomph' than Gold for women .
    A few days ago I was wearing Gold Men (I have a sample, not a bottle), when my sister said to me:” Don’t get me wrong, the scent you are wearing is quite nice, but are you sure it’s for men? “
    Yes, I can easily imagine Gold Men on a woman, with the remark that it’s more attractive/interesting on a man’s skin (…which is just my impression, of course).

Last night I sprayed Lyric Man, Dia for Men and Gold Men on the blotters (I hope this is the right term). When I woke up this morning, I felt an extremely intensive smell of Gold Men in my room. It is unbelievably loud scent.

After I’ve tried 7 Amouage’s scents, my top would be:

1. Lyric Man
    2. Jubilation XXV
    3. Dia for Men
    4. Gold Men
    5. Epic Man
    6. Opus I
    7. Opus II
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

While I can tell these are high quality fragrances, I have yet to find one I love enough to actually drop the cash on. I have yet to try Epic, and have extremely high hopes for Memoir based on the notes listed and it's description, however.
    Last edited by philmcphe; 10th September 2010 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I do know that Amouage is just quality with a capital Q.
    I personally wouldn't put it so positively per se. The two I mentioned above I would be willing to part with this sum of money. I think there are some very interchangeable ones, in particular among the Men's and I am not in accordance with their 'manly stereotypes in perfumes'. I wonder whether the often quoted 'carte blanche' for quality ingredients bla bla bla applied to the original creation of Gold and is now still parrotted??
    Last edited by Larimar; 10th September 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Dependent

I just noticed this is 4-5 months old, but I'll just share my own experience. Basically, I'm in trouble. I've been giving a few of them a proper wearings on skin and I am thoroughly impressed with them. I can smell and identify with the perceived "quality" other members often speak of. I've tested Lyric Man, Reflection Man, Dia Man, Epic Man and Epic Women, JubilationXXV. Of these, Lyric Man and Dia Man have rocketed to the top of my wishlist. If I can discipline myself from getting distracted by other "deals" while saving up for those 2, I do think I'll get them this month. They may not smell very interesting, inspiring or creative (for lack of better words, so please forgive me), but they just smell so so sublime and so damn good. Seriously, I wished I wasn't so easily won. I even entered with a very skeptical and narrow mind about them, but alas.... Retribution.

I'd be the last person to say that Brand A has more quality than Brand B. But with Amouage, I'm not sure how or why, but Amouage really smells like "quality". I'm not sure how to explain it, being much of a late-comer to the Amouage party.

Yes, they are worth my money (wherever they're hiding).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just a heads up to anyone considering ordering Amouage samples...

I highly recommend getting them from Parfums Raffy. I'm not affiliated with them at all, I just got my bottle of Reflection Man from them and have bought samples from them in the past. The reason I recommend them over Luckyscent is that for $6 from Parfums Raffy, yuo get an official Amouage sample with the official packaging. These are about 2ml each and come in a very nice small atomizer with cap, which also has Amouage and the name of the fragrance printed on it. You pay between $4 or $5 from Luckyscent for a small 1ml dabber vial. You just get a lot more for your money at Parfums raffy. Also, you can order multiple 2ml samples from PR to sort of "make yourself" a decant. 2ml for $6 equals $3 a ml, which is basically the per mL price of most of the 100ml bottles - so you can basically get a decant of any size at the same per mL cost of a full bottle. That's unheard of with any other niche line.
    Darn it, Sculpture- I wish I had ordered my samples from Parfums Raffy ! I know that if I do buy a full bottle- it will be from Parfums Raffy.

Thank you, lovely scented men of Basenotes ,for your thoughts. I'm hoping my measly Luckyscent samples will arrive today......

Now I want to try Gold Men .