Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a bottle of Chevalier d'Orsay

I'm very new to the world of (good) fragrances, but I already feel that I may have found a top 5 scent for me when I ordered a tester vial of Chevalier online after reading reviews and commentaries on BaseNotes.com a few years back.

I'm looking for a 3.4oz or 6.7oz of this nectar (EDT not splash), but I am a new dad and I am always very low on funds. I need to do the most responsible thing and hold out for a deal on one of these, but holding out doesn't mean just sitting here, waiting for the ghost of the Count to hand me a bottle of vintage Chevalier, so I'm posting here.

Now, I'm not looking for the vintage version as I doubt seriously that I would be able to afford it without selling my daughter on the black market.

Can any of you point me in the right direction? I know of some websites that sell it (PerfumeShop.com, BeautyEncounter.com) but I'm looking for a deal. I figured the best way to find one would be to buy a bottle from someone who was downsizing or getting rid of their collection (or for some other reason).

I'm not complete opposed to buying a used bottle either. Just drop me a line by replying here or sending me a PM.

Thanks, guys/gals.

Default Re: Looking for a bottle of Chevalier d'Orsay

Faux marketing aside, Parfums D'Orsay makes good fragrances and I enjoy Le Dandy, Etiquette Bleue and Arome Trois.

I am sure you know the marketing "legend" created by the company in 1908, when a group of investors chose the Count d'Orsay--an artist, an aristocrat and fashion trendsetter--as a company mascot, making up a tale that he was a parfumeur, making a perfume for his mistress. (Check my avatar--the handsomest man of his day!) In truth, he did use quite a bit of eau de Cologne and eau de jasmin, even taking perfumed baths. A user of scent, but he was never a perfumer.

I am not willing to sell, but one place in Florida carries Chevalier. The owner, Frank, is marvelous and will usu. include samples of D'Orsay and other scents they carry.

http://www.the4thsense.com/product-p/490.htm
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd April 2010 at 03:13 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

smeller

Forget the black market, I may SWAP the vintage version for your daughter plus a 30 ml of Paco Rabanne.
    Just kidding.

Seems to me I`ve got Le Dandy and Chevalier d`Orsay. Need to check out - I did not used them for a long time.
    If noone from USA-Canada would part with their bottles, I could.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Here's the 6.7 oz for $120:

http://www.beautyencounter.com/34900...14.html?search

Free shipping.

Enter code MWC723 at checkout, and get $15 off.

Sooo - $105 for 6.7 oz shipped. Pretty good deal!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    A user of scent, but he was never a perfumer.
    Actually no, I didn't know that! I read this post when you first wrote it but didn't quite understand. I was looking on the Wikipedia article on the Count and nowhere did it mention anything in his life that involved perfume making; then it clicked. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you very much. I will bookmark this link.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Here's the 6.7 oz for $120:
    http://www.beautyencounter.com/34900...14.html?search
    Free shipping.
    Enter code MWC723 at checkout, and get $15 off.
    Sooo - $105 for 6.7 oz shipped. Pretty good deal!
    M
    PRETTY good? That is an amazing deal. Thank you. Now let's see.... utility bill.. cologne... utility bill... cologne...

Hehe. Bills first, of course, but I'm sure there are others here who have actually hesitated with something like this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Virabhadra View Post
    Actually no, I didn't know that! I read this post when you first wrote it but didn't quite understand. I was looking on the Wikipedia article on the Count and nowhere did it mention anything in his life that involved perfume making; then it clicked. Interesting.

Thank you very much. I will bookmark this link.
    The English Wikipedia article is very incomplete (no surprise there as anyone can add information) and many English language biographies of him offer a lot of conjecture on his life and early death.

BNer Prince Barry also noted that the Comte was not a perfumer in an old thread.

The books "The Perfume Handbook," by Groom and "Perfume Presentations" by Leach mention the names of the investors who formed the company in 1908. Wonderful scents but the marketing is more creative inspiration than fact.

Again, he did, in truth, use a lot of perfume himself.

The 4th Sense is a great company who carry these scents.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.