Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain question: L'Instant EdT vs EdP

Trying to clarify: Is the EdP version of L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme called
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme?

Or is there a separate version of L'Intstant simply called EdP?

I'm becoming very intoxicated with L'Instant, but it wears a bit light on me. Wondering if the EdP has a bit more oomph.

I really much prefer the EdP version of Habit Rouge.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd April 2010 at 01:23 AM.

Default Re: Guerlain question: L'Instant EdT vs EdP

Stylin,
    You've got it right, the edp is called Extreme.

I think it does have more oomph, but it doesn't have the same kind of projection on me. It stays closer and is more tightly blended. Smells heavier and denser. Might be just right for you if the edt wears a little light. Extreme is also closer to the edt than Habit Rouge edp is to HR edt.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I actually tried the EDP/Extreme version and haven't tried the original. It's a very, VERY beautiful gourmand fragrance that has an underlying sense of "freshness" that keeps it from being too overbearing and has the best chocolate note I've tried! It's like cocoa powder instead of heavy melted chocolate if you get what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    It's like cocoa powder instead of heavy melted chocolate if you get what I mean
    I do get it indeed. I have a tough time with a lot the Guerlains and this one is really getting to me. Like meeting a beautiful woman.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I do get it indeed. I have a tough time with a lot the Guerlains and this one is really getting to me. Like meeting a beautiful woman.
    Yeah I do too. I remember when I first tried this (I was new in the fragrance hobby) I thought that I would end up liking all or most Guerlains. Well that's not the case. They're well made and all but they're just not for me.

Well, for what it's worth, I resisted the Guerlains for quite awhile. For me, they seem to take a few wearings to get to know them. I have had issues with wearing HR EdT in the past and today the EdP really worked for me. They all seem to be a bit lighter than I'd like, but I'm gauging whether or not I just get more olfactory fatigued to them. I am hoping they'll wear better on me in warmer weather too.

Hunting around, I see the EdP version of L'Instant is out of stock at all the usual online sites. It will have to be a longer term quest.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd April 2010 at 01:44 AM.

Yes.. for some reason they disappear and then out of nowhere all the sites get stock. I ordered a bottle from Strawberrynet while they still had 3-4 bottles and they screwed up my order so now I have to wait for the next shipment

Love this question. I am very fond of the EdT. Please let us know your thoughts re the EdP when you get your hands on some. I'm guessing it's a major home run for Guerlain. I expect nothing less from the L'Instant line.

I'm becoming very intoxicated with L'Instant [EDT], but it wears a bit light on me.
    Did you wear it a lot yet ? I found myself being disappointed at first times because it smelled so good but seemed to doesn't last long at all. Then as time passed I perceived the notes better and found it has actually a very good projection and huge longevity. Sprayed on clothes, the smell will never leave them until you wash them off.

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme EDP is amazing stuff. I'm not a big wearer of gourmands, but I like this. It's intense up close, but doesn't take over a room. Nice quiet, smoldering quality that lasts. The EDT is good, but it's a thinner scent that projects out more. The EDP is, like DustB said, very dense and heavy. I liked the EDT a lot, but once I got the EDP, I didn't find myself going back to the EDT that much.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I had Extreme before i got the EDT. DustB's comparative analysis is spot-on. Much as i love the EDP, i still found myself yearning for a lighter version for certain occasions. Now i can enjoy my L'Instant pour Homme experience anytime. Both are quite long lasting. The EDT was my SotE yesterday, and i caught appreciable whiffs of it when i woke up this morning.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Trying to clarify: Is the EdP version of L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme called
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme?

Or is there a separate version of L'Intstant simply called EdP?

I'm becoming very intoxicated with L'Instant, but it wears a bit light on me. Wondering if the EdP has a bit more oomph.

I really much prefer the EdP version of Habit Rouge.
    Yes, L'Instant Pour Homme Extreme and L'Instant Pour Homme Edp are the same thing. The same principle of other male edp fragrance versions works in this one: you have a more woody, stick, balsamic drydown with a strong cocoa note, that doesn't smell like chocolate. L'Instant edp can trick you at first, you have the impression that the scent disappeared, but it keeps coming from times to times, and its sillage is monster. The first time i wore it, all the objects that i touched or had contact with the extreme absorved it smell and I could detect after a week on them.
    If you like the fresh and gingerish opening on the edt, you won't find it on the extreme version. The edp looses this dimension to focus on the spicy, woody and balsamic aspects of the original. I'd have both, since the EDP version is more like winter and the EDT version seems more like an all year fragrance.

I really liked drydown of EDT version of L'Instant but wasnt so happy about topnotes... Now I keep reading that EDP has more gourmand quality... that sounds interesting.. Now it is tough decision between L'Instant EDP and Pure Malt.. Which one to pick?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I really liked drydown of EDT version of L'Instant but wasnt so happy about topnotes... Now I keep reading that EDP has more gourmand quality... that sounds interesting.. Now it is tough decision between L'Instant EDP and Pure Malt.. Which one to pick?
    Between Pure Malt and L'Instant EDP, I'd go with the L'Instant EDP. Pure Malt is really good, but after a while the drydown turns to pure plastic on me. The L'Instant on the other hand stays very rich and deep for the duration.

I have both and find the edp.quite different and 1000 times better than the edt version. For me, the edt has a cheap johnson and Johnson furniture polish/shoe polish note in it which I find irritating. The edp I find quite different, far superior, and doesn´t contain this note at all.

I found L'Instant EDP on e-bay for decent price but it has same bottle on pics as EDT ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Guerlain-LInstan...item414e47e68c ). Are you folks 100% sure that L'Instant Extreme (that has different bottle) is same as L'Instant EDP?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Between Pure Malt and L'Instant EDP, I'd go with the L'Instant EDP. Pure Malt is really good, but after a while the drydown turns to pure plastic on me. The L'Instant on the other hand stays very rich and deep for the duration.
    Thanks for feedback Indie_Guy. I will definitely look for some L'Instant EDP in future but right now I found few Pure Malt bottles on stock so I will try this first (and probably can sell them easy if I dont like them)

I'm with the few that likes the luminous qualities of the EdT better. Less is more. The EdP really gets overpowered by the bitter cacao (powder) notes.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I always liked the EDT but then I discovered the EDP version which I think its better than the EDT. From what I remember because I have to admit that lately I only tested the EDP version the sillage and the longevity are also better still I have to go back and test them both to be sure ... .
    I also remember that once I tested the L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Cristaux d'Agrumes version which I also liked very much but I can't find it no more. So if I'll have to chose from those 3 I'l have to pick up from the EDP version and the L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Cristaux d'Agrumes but I know I'll chose the EDP but I want to test them again, all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I'm with the few that likes the luminous qualities of the EdT better. Less is more. The EdP really gets overpowered by the bitter cacao (powder) notes.
    My sentiments exactly.

Default My story with L'instant

Chapter 1

I've got small tester of edt version. try it once - no impression. back to scent after almost one year (sic!). than i realised how great it was.

Chapter 2

I've decide to buy it. choose edp version 'coz i thought that "stronger is better". what a disappointment. i didn't find those great opening (that i fall in love) this warm & cool notes in the same time from edt version. for me opening of edp version is cocoa, cocoa and cocoa
    i got teach that edp could be totally different than edt... so i gave edp to my father.

Chapter 3

i've decide to buy edt for me. i had got it and start to wear - i was really happy.
    don't know why but from time to time i've decide to wear edp version. after some tests i've realised that it has great drydown (still opening for me is 3x cocoa). like many of you said - you can easly smell it at clothes after few days.

Chapter 4

Top notes:
    Opening of edt is still the championship for me - worm (cocoa ) & cold (powdery notes) at the same time.
    Edt 1-0 Edp

Middle notes:
    Edt become more and more powdery. Edp fortunetly become to show woods notes (not only cocoa like it was in opening)
    Edt 1-1 Edp

Base notes:
    Edt become pure powder on me (like Johnson&Johnson) - it's nice but nothing special. Edp in base notes is a masterpiece - great woods notes with spinkling of cocoa. Edt 0-1 Edp

Summary

I have Edt version for my pleasure - i like to spray it at my wrist to enjoy this marvelous opening. To full wear i choose Edp.
    Very often - before i go out from home - i spray Edp at my chest and neck and Edt at my wrist. just for my pleasure - i can stick my hand to my nose and enjoy great opening for about hour.

so that's the story of my No 1 (nowadays) scent
    Last edited by da_markos; 19th May 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Nice story da_markos. Glad to see such detailed comparision. /cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Nice story da_markos. Glad to see such detailed comparision. /cheers
    Thx. It teach me to be meek and humble in world of scent. No i always back to fragrance that i didn't enjoy in past and i give them another try

Hehe. Your story makes me wanna buy EDP version because I started to appreciate L'Instant only after cocoa drydown arrived . Like I dont have enough of sweet winter fragrances
    Last edited by dreamer81; 20th May 2010 at 04:37 AM.

Hi,

I'm also intrested in L'instant Extreme/edp, but where I might found one? All online shops, which I have found and carries L'instant Extreme is unfortunately "out of stock".
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

L´Instant pour Homme EDP is L´Instant pour Homme Extreme version.

Sur la Plage

The EDP is far superior to the EDT IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Think about layering. 1 to 3 the edp to the edt. The edp and the edt complement each other so well.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Hi,

I'm also intrested in L'instant Extreme/edp, but where I might found one? All online shops, which I have found and carries L'instant Extreme is unfortunately "out of stock".
    Good luck. In theory it will be restocked at fragrancenet or scentiments at some point. I've been looking awhile. There is a site in England that has it, but they cannot ship to US.

http://www.escentual.com/guerlain/linstanthomme10/

This might be a recent change. They emailed me that there is a now a law the prohibits them from shipping to US.
    They can ship anywhere in Europe I think.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th May 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Good luck. In theory it will be restocked at fragrancenet or scentiments at some point. I've been looking awhile. There is a site in England that has it, but they cannot ship to US.

http://www.escentual.com/guerlain/linstanthomme10/

This might be a recent change. They emailed me that there is a now a law the prohibits them from shipping to US.
    They can ship anywhere in Europe I think.
    Shame... I bought a bottle from them and was shipped to me in Wisconsin a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tabbakh View Post
    Shame... I bought a bottle from them and was shipped to me in Wisconsin a few months ago.
    I deleted their response, but I seem to recall it was referenced as a fairly recent change.

I like the EdT for daytime and the EdP for night.
    The EdP is richer, more unctious with more projection. I used to think the EdT was very light, in the same vein as Bulgari PH. However it catches you by surprise: it's actually quite a stealth bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    The EdP is richer, more unctious with more projection. I used to think the EdT was very light, in the same vein as Bulgari PH. However it catches you by surprise: it's actually quite a stealth bomb.
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Both are masterpieces, i been wearing the Edt during the summer with no problems at all, get a lot of compliments too. I won't dare to wear the EDP until late fall and winter.

Both are great but prefer the EDP.

Both are great! EDT is more versatile, EDP more a winter or clubbing scent! I don't know why many people don't like the top note of the EDT... IMHO it's just a fresh beginning, it's like the fragrances was saying to you: Hi my friend, prepare for the trip! And the amazing thing is that I still a bit of this freshness in the heart note and in the drydown! Generally the EDP is more gourmand and less fresh. Go for both!

Has anyone seen a fake l'instant edt? There's a big wholesale store I recently went to and they had L'instant EDT for 47.50 and habit Rouge but they are really sketchy. They only accept cash, no returns, and if you ask for a sample they spray the cap and let you smell it. thanks in advance!