Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Challenging the Sacred Cow: Is Mitsouko actually all that?

I don't really get it either. The only version I've smelled is the current EDT reformulation and it comes off as boneless and fleeting. I could see how it could be an amazing fragrance if they put the oakmoss back in there for depth and structure but this version just felt half baked.

I'm jealous of the Mitsouko lovers.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 4th April 2010 at 06:30 AM.

I carried out an interesting experiment yesterday. I visited the Guerlain flagship in Paris, 68 Champs Elysées, and tried all the classics that I had never smelled before, in Parfum (extrait) concentration. They have circular metal boxes that content fabric impregnated with pure perfume.

I was overwhelmed by the beauty of Jicky and l'Heure Bleue, followed shortly by Vol de Nuit and Shalimar. I found Mitsouko to be the less attractive of the 5. This is not at all what I expected from the reviews I read on Basenotes... I was looking forward to loving them in the following order:

1. Mitsouko
    2. Jicky
    3. l'Heure Bleue
    4. Vol de Nuit
    5. Shalimar

When I joined perfume forums as a Mitsouko wearer I was surprised to find people who hated it. Infact just could not wear it at all. On me Mitsouko is all smooth sultry and gorgeous. But after reading over the years other people's thoughts I have discovered Mitsouko is a BITCH of a chypre.
    If she does not work for you and you cannot make her work for you no matter how hard you beg or try, then walk away. Mitsouko doesn't care.

Its good old body chemistry, and Mitsouko it seems is the hardest and down right nastiest of them all if she does not work with you.

No5 is the holy cow for many woman. On me I get the plastic thing which the OP mentions from it. Infact for years I thought I could not wear aldehydes and ignored the entire family. But not it was just No5, so I listen to people who rave and fall at the feet of No5 and think so what I don't like it.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Rose by Caron

Dont even get me started on No 5 which smells like cheap hairspray from start to finish

Mitsouko and Chanel No 5 are both wonderful fragrances IMO. I know that they're "all that" to many others besides me.

Not everyone agrees, and that's fine.

Didn't like Mitsouko at first (smelled the EDT - big mistake!) Then one day I found the EDP. Then something happened after I started wearing Mitsouko EDP: My tastes have changed that quite a few frags in my wardrobe now smells "synthetic" by comparison.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Mitsouko in any formulation simply does not float my boat. I admit that I did try quite hard to "get" it, but several rather uninspiring applications later - I simply conceded,"not for me". I can appreciate its importance in the general evolution of fragrance, but for me it is never going to get beyond the first date.

Sometimes there is a fear that finding fault with a classic renders you a philistine, but I prefer to see it simply for what it is, just something I tried, and didn't take to.

I like Mitsouko very much, although my favorite classic Guerlain is and always will be L'Heure Bleue.
    I can see how it would not agree with some body chemistry, fortunately it is lovely on me.
    Evenstar

Mitsouko is obviously very special. I admire it and like it, and plan to always have a sample on hand. Perhaps a mini is in my future. No fragrance can be a holy grail for everyone, though. I think folks hear about Mitsouko and expect it to be wonderful for them. But there are Shalimar folks and l'Heure Bleu folks, Vol de Nuit folks, and Jicky folks. I have recently discovered that I am a Chamade person. I think it was made for me. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    But after reading over the years other people's thoughts I have discovered Mitsouko is a BITCH of a chypre.
    If she does not work for you and you cannot make her work for you no matter how hard you beg or try, then walk away. Mitsouko doesn't care.
    Perfectly put!