Code of Conduct

Default Where to find quality Fruit essential oils?

I'm looking for true scents of ripe fruit, such as passion fruit, coconut etc.

Default Re: Where to find quality Fruit essential oils?

Off the cuff, I don't know if there are any natural "oils" extracted from these fruits. A lot of my creations have fruit notes, but I create these accords through the use of different aromachemicals. Sometimes you can look at aroma profiles of different fruits and decide how to reconstitute the aroma using chemical isolates.

Fruit accords are really important to all kinds of fragrances. Even what seems like a citrus scent will often have a fruit component--like the mango component to Eau D'Orange Verte. You can use citrus peel oils, neroli, bergamot, and orange blossom to make a good citrus scent, but to really give a scent "flesh", it's nice to have some fruit accords at your disposal.

I searched google all over for it, and it seems that it isn't even possible to get pure mango EO, even when they will produce it it will be more expensive then the aged Assam agarwood, which is the most expensive oil available on the market.
    They wil need about 20.000 kilos of Mango for a little oil.

The point of what I'm saying is that you have to construct most fruit accords from synthetic aromachemicals and/or isolates. You can use something like labeinoxime and manzanate for example to create some fruity effects in perfumes. There are probably thousands of materials which can go into the reconstitution of fruit notes. It won't do you any good looking for fruit oils. Good luck.

Yeah I have found out about that unfortunately, thanks.

i have posted this just the other day on a recent and very similar thread:

disclaimer: i have no idea who these people are, and no experience with their products.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Re: AD_Introductory offer for genuine fruit extracts
    Posted by: "Alysia Gaye" sacredfloweressences@yahoo.com sacredfloweressences
    Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 am (PDT)

After over 30 years of research in botanicals and raw
    materials, I am excited to offer these amazing essences. I have never come across anything like this
    that gives your creations, fruit notes that are botanically derived. Everything available up to now has been
    synthetic.
    Use for natural botanical notes in perfumery or culinary
    application.
    Proprietary cold process extraction not available until now.
    True genuine fruit notes that taste as amazing as they
    smell.
    An introductory offer to Natural Perfumers.
    Buy 5 and receive one free.
    ˝ oz of the following
    essences:
    Banana, Apricot, Blueberry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Peach,
    Pineapple, Coconut, Strawberry, Violet, Tropic Exotic, Mango, Honeydew, or
    Morello Cherry
    Other extracts available at www.medicineflower.com
    Choose 6 essences for $110 Regular $132
    For more information checkout
    All of our materials are food grade. They are organic, sustainable and wild . You will be amazed!!!!
    Large and small quantities available.
    Established in 1985. . Our specialty is unusual, exotic and rare essential oils, absolutes,
    concretes and hydrolytes.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
    Any questions, feel free to email me.
    Aromatically Yours
    Alysia Gaye
    Founder
    Medicine Flower
    1-800-PURE-OIL
    1-800-787-3645

Their website looks a bit questionable, but if someone wants to spring for these, I'd be interested to hear the feedback.

it was posted on the natural perfumery group. it think all the ads are overseen by the moderators before they get through. there was (only) one person questioning this company, one or two expressed their interest in placing an order. if more information becomes available from this group, i will report it here (or in another thread)

Interesting site, thanks gido.

Doc, just curious, what about the site "looks a bit questionable"? No affiliation.

I might be interesting in trying 1 or 2 of these to see their quality. I will be sure to report back if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Their website looks a bit questionable, but if someone wants to spring for these, I'd be interested to hear the feedback.
    I agree. I would be very skeptical of 'extract of violet' costing so little. Not only that, strawberry, cherry, mango....all red flags. Unless they've truly come across a new miracle extraction process, those natural aromatics are non existant.

joxer96, personally, i am very green and i feel nowhere near qualified to judge these statements.

in the natural perfumery group, someone suggested,
    "The process probably involves what is termed microbial fermentation. It doesn't actually involve anything from the fruit other than genes. It involves genetic engineering that inserting the genes necessary for the metabolic pathway that creates the isoprenoid that is wanted into a yeast cell. The yeast cells are grown in huge vats and as they grow they create the isoprenoid (because the genes have been inserted into them). Then the isoprenoid (or flavor) is extracted from the medium or from the yeast itself if it is not a secreted product.
    Really quite interesting. Here is a paper that explains some of it if you are interested, but warning, its pretty technical.
    http://www.microbialcellfactories.com/content/5/1/20"

i haven't read the document, but i think her summary sounds interesting.

There is an entire industry devoted to flavor materials! Just about every commercial product that you eat has some flavoring agents added to them. The range of these flavors (scents) runs the entire gambit of the senses, and it's amazing that so many people are only partially aware that they even exist, even though they consume them every day. Most artificial flavoring materials (everything from fruit to meat) that we consume are NOT essential oils (most of which you should not ingest); they are engineered food-grade flavoring chemicals suspended in either alcohol or vegetable glycerin, and are often perceived as being more natural than the real thing. It seems to me that this company’s products would be no better or safer than say, LorAnn flavors, widely available in mainstream US groceries and kitchen supply stores. You could try these, but I don’t know how miscible they would be with your essential oil blends.

Divinemama, your question has really been answered by Joxer and Nymphaea. The site in question appears to be a reseller of everything from head lice remedies to jam. The only fruit extract that I see is food flavor extracts, which are, as Nymphaea points out, probably exactly the same thing found in grocery stores and in most of our food. The description doesn't say whether they are alcohol based, glycerin based, or something else. The ad that gido quotes says that the extracts are "organic, sustainable, and wild", so I'm not sure where all the wild fruit comes from. Now that I re-read this, it sounds even more questionable.

Thanks so much for the clarification and explanations, Doc, gido, joxer and Nymphaea. Sounds like I will pass on these. Thanks for saving me money that I can spend on essential oils. :-)

So how do companies like www.100percentpure.com capture these fruit essences? I have smelled their products and low and behold if they say it smells like fuji apple, it absolutely does smell like a fuji apple. They say they are organic and 100% natural. I have never seen fruits, other than the citrus family and juniper berry, produce an oil.

It looks like this company just makes lotions, liquid soap, and other products that can incorporate a large amount of water-soluble materials. If their "all-natural" hype is true, then water-soluble fruit extracts are probably what you're smelling.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

It is possible to obtain extracts from fruits and I have smelled extracts from apple, banana, mango, etc. They are all water soluble, and themselves contain a large amount of water. Thus they are useless for perfumery. Of course they can be incorporated into products, such as shower gel, which contain water and solubilisers. It is possible to create fragrances and perfumery bases that smell of various fruits but they will not contain any of the fruit extract.

It is easy to be taken in, especially as a novice perfumer. I fell victim to this recently with a turkish company called OttomanExhibition on ebay. They also claim to have pure essential oils of Mango, other fruits, cocoa and all manner of 'essentially oiled' things obtained apparently by steam extraction, with certificates and a posh looking showroom to 'prove it'!!!!!

People like this ought to be warned about really, I have asked them to adjust their wording as nobody minds buying smelly oils, but do mind being told aromachemicals are essential oils. However there are plenty of happy customers buying them judging by the feedback. To be fair, they did return my money upon me pointing this out after taking your guidance. Thank you for all the advice given here on BN.

If anyone comes up with some miracle essence, please let me know. All of the combination ideas I come up with seem to be with a fruit or two included. Alas I cannot use the chemical bases, I want to do something natural.

I'm new to all of this, but what if you made a tincture with oil and the zest of a peel? Would it work?

It would be nice if someone could share with us a few simple accords for different fruits and a couple for "useful" flowers like tuberose or osmanthus!!

Just to add one further note to this - the natural smell of fruits is made up of the very same aroma chemicals that are used to imitate them in perfumes. The difference is, for the most part, that they are not extracted from those fruits but synthesised through other means.

There are of course lots of aroma chemicals, including some which smell fruity, that don’t occur in nature at all and I can quite see why you might want to avoid those. However with things like the aliphatic aldehydes, I can see no problem with re-building the scent from scratch with those and other elements of the natural scent, to form a ‘nature identical’ fragrance. There would of course be a problem with then selling that as ‘natural essence of apple’ or whatever - that’s fraud.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Do you happen to know what the note or notes may be for reproducing the ripe smell of juicy pears in aromachemicals? It is a particular smell I am having no success with at all using naturals so far. The PA accord is a dryer muskier pear by the looks of the ingredients. Amyl acetate looks like a candidate but does it smell like bananas too much? Have you got this one and if you have, please will you smell it for me?

Pure amyl acetate isn’t something I’ve got at the moment, but I do have the PA pear accord and to me it smells very true, ripe and edible. There is a slight note of banana about it, but I’m not sure I’d have identified it if I hadn’t just gone to look for it.

The following is taken from ‘An Introduction to Perfumery' by Tony Curtis and David Williams:

Jargonelle Pear
    iso-Amyl acetate (at 1%). It is hardly necessary to make a solution since to remove the cap of a bottle of the chemical will result in appreciation of the odour. iso-Amyl acetate is highly flammable and, is rather ‘choking’ except in high dilution.
    The extreme flammability is the reason I don’t have any btw - it’s difficult to import because of that and I don’t have a local source. Logically it should be possible to buy, and import it, at 10% in DPG, which would solve the flammability problem, but so far I have not found it.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 20th March 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for

Thank you. Maybe I will persevere with naturals for a bit. That sounds so harsh for the pretty youthful perfume I had in mind. Fruits are definitely a fine challenge using naturals. They end up smelling like sweeties instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Pure amyl acetate isn’t something I’ve got at the moment, but I do have the PA pear accord and to me it smells very true, ripe and edible. There is a slight note of banana about it, but I’m not sure I’d have identified it if I hadn’t just gone to look for it.

. . .

The extreme flammability is the reason I don’t have any btw - it’s difficult to import because of that and I don’t have a local source. Logically it should be possible to buy, and import it, at 10% in DPG, which would solve the flammability problem, but so far I have not found it.
    This question set me down the road of trying to source this stuff again and I realised I wasn’t thinking laterally enough: it turns out that one of my suppliers who makes regular HazMat deliveries stocks it, I just hadn’t thought to look for it there because I was thinking of it as a fragrance ingredient.

So if you do want to give it a try you can get some from Mistral.

Oh and just to clarify, what they stock is Amyl acetate CAS number 628-63-7 (TGSC Organoleptics: ethereal fruity banana pear banana apple) sometimes called Pear Oil
    As distinct from iso-Amyl acetate CAS number 123-92-2 (TGSC Organoleptics: sweet fruity banana solvent) sometimes called Banana Oil, and the one being discussed in the quote I gave from Curtis & Williams

I didn’t mean to introduce more confusion!
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 26th March 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: updated with distinction between isoAmyl acetate and Amyl acetate
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett