Code of Conduct

Default What Bulgari Black taught me about testing scents

Maybe it's because I haven't been into colognes for all that long, but I experienced something that I considered to be quite curious.

I just got a bottle of Bulgari Black the other day and sprayed it on my wrists. Top, Middle, & Bottom notes were all sweet vanilla, sweet vanilla, & sweet vanilla. ?? I had just got finished reading a slew of richly-worded reviews on the scent, a lot of which were mentioning things like "rubber" and other such strange descriptions. I couldn't understand why I could only smell one thing.

So I had a thought. Maybe the ingredients of certain colognes/perfumes settle either to the bottom or float to the top & do not remain mixed together. Perhaps whatever is in the little reservoir tube touching the bottom of the inside of the bottle is filled with only part of the ingredients in the mixture.

I went back to the bathroom, turned the bottle upside down, sprayed twice into the sink (effectively emptying what was in the tube), shook the bottle violently, and sprayed it onto the inside of my forearm a few inches below the original spray. I smelled the spot and *wham!* there it was! I waited a few seconds, smelled again, and sure enough, it was changing.

I don't know enough to formulate reviews yet, but I could definitely smell the difference between the two spots on my arm.

wtf?
    I'm not sure what I know or if what I think I know is something worth knowing, but I do know that what I know now is something different than what I knew then. No?
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 31st March 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Default Re: What Bulgari Black taught me about testing scents

LOL! I think you are definitely on to something. I have never had a scent "settle out" like that but it appears that indeed is what happened for you.

(or there was something in the atomizer that wasn't BB, but smelled like Vanilla.)

Whatever, glad you worked it out!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 31st March 2010 at 03:23 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    LOL! I think you are definitely on to something. I have never had a scent "settle out" like that but it appears that indeed is what happened for you.

(or there was something in the atomizer that wasn't BB, but smelled like Vanilla.)

Whatever, glad you worked it out!
    I know, right? Perhaps a vanilla ghost snuck in and peed into the atomizer. I would do the same thing if I was a vanilla ghost.

(yes, I am retarded)

It is mainly a vanilla fragrance, but I get hints of rubber and black tea. Its possible it had sat for a long time and the oils had settled out, or that the first few sprays had been sitting in the sprayer, exposed to oxygen, and therefore some of the more volatile oils had evaporated.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    It is mainly a vanilla fragrance, but I get hints of rubber and black tea. Its possible it had sat for a long time and the oils had settled out, or that the first few sprays had been sitting in the sprayer, exposed to oxygen, and therefore some of the more volatile oils had evaporated.
    Thank you. It was a newer tester & I got it from someone I know personally. The only thing I can think of is that it had not been tested in a week or two, but I wouldn't have thought that would effect the scent all that much. Especially considering a lot of fragrances sit around for a period of time before being used (collectors) and that, ideally, shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, from now on, I'm going to do the same thing to anything I test. I mean... I waste what is in the atomizer, sure, but at least I'll be sure to get a real whiff, and not a depleted one.

lol at vanilla ghost peeing in atomizer.

ya know thats a grat idea! turning it upside down to empty whats in the tube, i wouldnt violently shake the bottle, but i would wisk it around.. then get a few fresh sprays..
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

"Sonofa! Damn vanilla ghosts!!!! Go on, git outta here!"

I have learned to try a scent at least a few times in different situations before I make a judgment.

Just keep the patchouli ghosts away from it!