Code of Conduct

Default Where/how to try niche and less popular fragrances?

Living in Indiana, I don't really have access to a Saks or Nordstrom, so Macys, Perfumania, and Ulta are pretty much my only options. Naturally, as I learn more about fragrance, I want to try what people here rave about. The Creeds, Bond No. 9's, Hermes, etc. How do I go about seeing what the fuss about these amazing scents is without committing to a hundred dollar bottle? Are there websites where I can get cheap samples without paying an arm and a leg for shipping? I've got nothing against the designer stuff I have now, but I would love to try some of the more obscure things (not that Creed is obscure).

Default Re: Where/how to try niche and less popular fragrances?

Hi. I am pretty new to fragrance also. Upon my research here and the suggestion of others two places to try for samples and decants (smaller orders of niche, or whatever fragrances would be:

theperfumedcourt.com

theposhpeasant.com

I have yet to order from them but they have good business from what I understand.

Another place to try for samples would be lucky scent. You will probably have to pay a little for shipping from all three companies. Wish you well.

I recommend checking out some of the folks at the crystal flacon. The range isn't as big with The Perfumed Court, but for large decants especially the prices are highly competitive ( with some folks offering the same or better price per ml than buying a bottle ).

I think the cheapest way to get samples is ebay. Here's a link to an ebay store where you can get Bond No.9 samples, for example - http://stores.ebay.com/mysamplestore

I get this message when I try that link:

Sorry, this store does not exist.

Yeah, it has been known to happen to me too, I don't know why... Hmmm, I just tried the link on my computer and it works. Try typing this into ebay's search engine - Bond No 9 Nuits de Noho 10 Sample Vials. The result you should get is an offer from that store, click it and then go to "visit store" link, and look at the other items. Hope that helps!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Samples can also be bought from luckyscent.com, aedes.com and l'artisan.com. I have also bought samples from beautycafe.com. In addition, a polite email can get you a couple of samples directly from Serge Lutens and Penhaligons.

Hi and welcome to Basenotes!

Samples are the way to go. Few of us buy full bottles without smelling it first. Even though the price per ml of perfume is far more expensive than full bottles, you can try out a far greater variety of perfumes for your money. There was a thread about where to buy samples a little while ago. See it here, lots of good links.