Code of Conduct

Default Are there any real carnation perfumes?

Are there any soliflore perfumes that solely are reminiscent of actual carnations? My friend loves carnations and I was just wondering. Thank you.

Default Re: Are there any real carnation perfumes?

I actually really enjoy Mona di Orio's Carnation EDP.
    It embodies the huskiness/peppery aspect of carnations, over the signature MdO base.

Blog Entries

Santa Maria Novella Garofano (which is Italian for "carnation") is very realistic. I do like this and might have bought a bottle, but my husband doesn't care for it at all, so I passed on that.

There is also Lorenzo Villoresi Garofano but I found it less long lasting and not quite as good.

There is also Etro Dianthus, which seemed slightly less realistic to me (but others may disagree.)

French for carnation is "oeillet" and typing that word into the Basenotes Directory search field yields this list:

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&submit=search

For samples of the SMN and Etro ones you can try Aedes de Venustas.com.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2010 at 01:07 AM.

I think Bellodgia by Caron is a nice interpretation of carnations, spicy but still smooth and somewhat warm.
    L´Air du Temps by Nina Ricci is also a carnation scent, if not a soliflore (nor is Bellodgia, btw).
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

The only one I found spicy enough to be realistic enough for me is Ayala Moriel's InCarnation, though it has an animalic undertone that may not agree with some.

The aforementioned Etro and Villoresi were very much too peas in a pod for me, and rather mediocre at that, with the Villoresi being the better of the two.

Floris Malmaison was a stark tea and clove carnation that was fun if not terribly accurate to the flower.

Washington Tremlett's Clove Absolute is a carnation fragrance by another name, and rather good if you don't mind powder.

Comme des Garcons Carnation was a big let down. I don't have too much to say about it; rather bland, run-of-the-mill, carnation-ish fragrance.

Mona di Orio's Carnation doesn't smell carnation for me. I think carnation means the blush or smell from a young women's skin.

Coup de Fouet from Caron smells a lot from carnation to my nose. But there are spices too.
    Last edited by Novis2007; 4th April 2010 at 07:48 AM.

I love carnations! I agree with the SMN suggestion, as it's the truest I've found. Coup de Fouet is good too, though quite dry.

I love
    Caron Poivre & Coup de Fouet - both very peppery
    Comme des Garçons Carnation - carnation & cloves (in Finnish language there's only one word meaning both of them: neilikka) plus red pepper
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The weird thing is so many of actual flowers now have no smell!!!!!! I cannot understand this thing for flowers with no smell, roses are the same now too. My father who was into gardening always said Pinks(looks like a carnation but smaller flowers and the same family), had more smell.

For me the closest I have ever came to these is Caron's Bellodgia, but please not the edt. You need to get the edp at the least.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Novis2007 View Post
    Mona di Orio's Carnation doesn't smell carnation for me. I think carnation means the blush or smell from a young women's skin.
    Yes, I understand the abstract concept too, but it embodies the qualities of carnation rather well.
    To my nose, of course.

LUSH's "Potion" solid perfume smells wonderful and smells of carnations. Sadly, it's been discontinued, but if you could get your hands on some...

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. There are more carnation perfumes then than I could possibly have thought of. The only other thing is if my friend would actually like them or not. It is great to see how everyone is so helpful here. I am going to have to make a list of them. I have never actually smelled a real carnation straight from the garden so I am not sure how a carnation should really smell. Have a great day.

Blog Entries

We had a lot of carnations lining our driveway when I was growing up, and I loved to smell them!

Some years ago, I visited a local nursery and bought some plants so we could enjoy their fragrance again, but they they died; probably I should have amended the soil first (we have clay soil.) This thread makes me want to plant them again.

Another Caron worth mentioning here is Poivre, a very pleasant rosy-clovey oriental that has a very nice carnation note.

Hey I could go to a nursery and get some real fresh ones. That is a good idea. I wonder if my friend really realizes what real fresh, non-florist carnations smell like? You should definitely go get some and plant them Today when we went to my parent's for Easter dinner, my father brought in some purple hyacinths. OH my did they smell lovely!
    Last edited by Starsoflight; 5th April 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Watch me end up eventually with some of these carnation perfumes lol!
    Thank you galamb-borong

Banned

Bellodgia as mentioned; try it! The EdP is stunning.

L'Erbolario's Garafano is a splendid and inexpensive carnation - try it, lovers of carnations!

reine

Blog Entries

Reine,

Do you know of any current USA sources for this? I'm coming up empty.

I'll mentione another, not a soliflore, but my favorite with a prominent carnation note is Moschino. It also has a bit of creamy gardenia to sweeten it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    LUSH's "Potion" solid perfume smells wonderful and smells of carnations. Sadly, it's been discontinued, but if you could get your hands on some...
    i thought of the same scent. it's really peppery and warm. i worked at a LUSH for a few months when I was unemployed and managed to get a tin before it became discontinued. shame, as it's quite a nice scent.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Estee Lauder's Spellbound

I reach for Floris Malmaison or Caron Poivre for my carnation fix usually. If I really want to indulge myself, I dig out JAR Diamond Water or Golconda.

30 Roses, my L'Erborlario comes via a friend in Lithuania - but I shared some with a friend on Sniffapalooza and she said she had found a site - I will check with her for you!

reine

Try Roger Gallet Carnation soap. It is very nice stuff.

30 Roses - the site is erbolariomalta.com!

reine

Basenotes Plus

Oops!
    Last edited by tdem1961; 6th April 2010 at 02:08 PM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Another vote for SMN Garafano - wonderful stuff. Etro Dianthus is good too but much lighter and softer - probably more suitable for warmer weather

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    30 Roses - the site is erbolariomalta.com!

reine
    Thanks...apparently the website is being changed and is not available at this time, but I'll check it out later.

Ava Luxe's Oeillet Blanc is a bouquet of beautiful white carnations - dewey, fresh and creamy and not too spicy, it's the smoothest carnation fragrance I know of. I'm really hoping she brings this one back when she resumes her perfume line...which I'm hoping is soon.

And I'll second EL's Spellbound for a sweet and creamy carnation.

Blog Entries

+3 for Bellodgia.

Wow! Never expected to get this much help and so many responses . I told my friend today that I was still researching carnation perfumes for her.
    I also suggested we go to a nursery to see what real carnations that do not have the scent bred out of them smell like. She told me she remembers them from when she was little. I never had that experience, but I am glad for the help and all the choices. Peace

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    I have small amount of solid Potion,thanks to dear Irina, its very beautiful, but when i tried L Eau by Diptique i noticed that is the same kind of scent just that Diptique is more refined , more noble take on carnation, lush is touch more spicy and raw , but both are beautiful!! Big thumbs up for both:-)

I like Ava-Luxe versions and also Bourbon French's Mon Idee is a great carnation. Largely single note, others might be able to tease out basenotes in this, but I just smell a deep bright carnation scent. There is something somewhat sad in some carnation scents, but not this one. I also love Poivre, but the peppery feel is extreme in the parfum.

L'eau de Diptyque is certainly very clovey. For intense clove-ness, though, there are also $$$$ JARs like Golconda and Diamond Water.

I recently smelled vintage Bellodgia parfum and vintage Nuit de Noel - likely the best references for the famous Caron carnation base. Unfortunately, none of this is found in the modern versions (though NdN is still good, in a more ambery-animalic way).

cacio

I would like to venture a + for Coup de Fouet and Poivre, both by Caron, and the newer Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    L'eau de Diptyque is certainly very clovey. For intense clove-ness, though, there are also $$$$ JARs like Golconda and Diamond Water.

I recently smelled vintage Bellodgia parfum and vintage Nuit de Noel - likely the best references for the famous Caron carnation base. Unfortunately, none of this is found in the modern versions (though NdN is still good, in a more ambery-animalic way).

cacio
    What is the real difference between Potion as reference for carnation and L Eau:-) ? I did not notice it much, this is why i mentioned LEau by Diptique because i think this is good carnation example,

And from another place i found this
    Carnation – Clove, rose, orange, maybe some pepper. Cool, floral, spicy.

This is exactly what i get in L Eau which is very beautiful, it has also some cinnamon. thats why i put it out on purpose:-) why clove and not carnation? :-)

Clove would have to be a bit more bitter and unpleasant, simple, i am not very fond of it:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 29th December 2012 at 10:16 PM.

I said clove because the note is the central one in carnation - I agree though that pure clove is much more intense and sharp. I suspect one of the main component of cloves/carnation is now restricted (eugenol?) which would explain Caron's change of base.

And I need to resmell Potion ...

cacio

I'm crazy for the smell of carnation as well, and I'll second Comme des Garcon's Series 2: Red Carnation. One of the best I've sniffed.

The benchmark carnation for me is the rare Roger & Gallet Blue Carnation, long discontinued and very hard to find.

I was fortunate enough to get a pristine 6ml miniature. The initial blast of heavy clove, possibly due to the use of Carnation absolute, softens to the most amazing replication of the carnation. I'm talking florist's carnation, clovey and spicy, not the softer, rounder, gentler aroma of the pinks and sweet williams.

Second on my list is vintage Bellodgia pure parfum. Again, I came across a pristine, unopened bottle and it is a different thing altogether to the EDP available now. Bellodgia parfum again has a strident, heavy clove opening, but also softens considerably to acquire the typical softer and rounder fragrance of the flower.

I love the modern Bellodgia EDP, but do not regard it as as good a rendition of carnation as the parfum. This is because it is extremely sweet and is a floral blend, more than the soliflore feel given off by the parfum.

I tried CDG, Garafanl and Mona di Orio, but didn't find them any better than Bellodgia. I find many interpretations of the carnation are essentially only clove dominated, and if you smell a fresh carnation there is far more to it than just the peppery clove. There is also the element that softens the clove.

Blog Entries

The only carnation I've smelled so far that seems more carnation than clove to me is the CDG one. It smells exactly like a small carnation we grow in our back yard.

Basenotes Plus

Fragonard Billet Doux- one of my favorites
    Caron Bellodgia
    Lorenzo Villoresi Garofano
    Comme des Garcons Carnation
    Jar Parfums Golconda
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Oeillet Sauvage
    Floris Malmaison
    Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Love
    Serge Lutens Vitriol d'Oeille
    Ava Luxe Oeillet Rouge

There's more but this is all I can think of for now.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    The benchmark carnation for me is the rare Roger & Gallet Blue Carnation, long discontinued and very hard to find.
    This! It can sometimes be found on ebay, where I got my partial bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me if any of you would like to try a decant of Blue Carnation by Roger & Gallet. I have more in the bottle than I can probably use, and I'd love to share. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Reine,

Do you know of any current USA sources for this? I'm coming up empty.

When I did wear perfume, it was always carnation.Try Ralph Lauren's "Lauren". Maroon bottle. Pricey but definitely carnation. Available at most of the upper department stores in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post

I was fortunate enough to get a pristine 6ml miniature. The initial blast of heavy clove, possibly due to the use of Carnation absolute, softens to the most amazing replication of the carnation. I'm talking florist's carnation, clovey and spicy, not the softer, rounder, gentler aroma of the pinks and sweet williams. ...
    I recently came across a GC-MS analysis of this.
    Interestingly, there's not a drop of carnation absolute present, but a whopping 60% eugenol, with its sweet, spicy clove scent.
    The stuff of IFRA nightmares !