Code of Conduct

Default Virgin Island Water replacement?

After reading some reviews and seeing people suggest Virgin Island Water, I really think I would love it.

Unfortunately I can't afford Creed stuff. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative that smells similar? The closer the better.

Default Re: Virgin Island Water replacement?

Marc Jacobs Men. It's really figgy/coconutty.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Know of anything that mixes coconut, lime, and something else citrusy/fruity? Maybe with something sea salty?

Laguna PH

I love VIW when its really hot out like over 85f...theres really nothing like it! that smell with a hawiaan shirt on and shorts and sandals....I cant wait till summer! man get a tester on ebay they are usually cheap like $80. steal the money! lol it wasnt even really hot last summer and I used a half a bottle. its weird how you crave that stuff when it gets hot out......I hope that helped.
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 4th April 2010 at 02:04 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's is the closest I know of in terms of designer fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's is the closest I know of in terms of designer fragrances.
    This is the best I have found as well. It my #2 on my all time favorites list.

I hope there are others out there that I am unaware of.

The only thing I can think of is Carioca which has been discontinued.

tommy bahama has very cool that smells like a mojito but i am not sure viw is one of a kind

Guerlain Homme or Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee may well fit the bill. The latter in particular is a gorgeous mixture of fig and citrus!

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works smells almost exactly like Virgin Island Water, however it's a bit more sharp and less creamy. That's your best bet.
    Sales thread here

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    This is the closest.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's is the closest I know of in terms of designer fragrances
    I'll second this! St. Bart's, in my opinion, is an amazing frag. You might need 5 or 6 sprays due to it's rather weak sillage, but it's great stuff. A wonderful summery, vacation-y fragrance. AND, you can find it for cheap! It's either perfumenetwork.com or fragranceexpress.com that's selling a 3.4oz bottle for like $17USD. Sells for roughly $50 full price. Anyway, good luck in your search. I love fun scents like that.

The best replacement and most affordable is to dab pure coconut oil on each wrist and suck on a popsicle. You'll be in the dry down stage when the popsicle is done. Only caveat is to make sure it's a tropical flavored popsicle.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th April 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Dead horse, but I will beat it...

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart. You simply can't go wrong. And depending on body chemistry, you might NOT be able to tell the difference.

Coconut Lime Verbena from Batth and Body Works is awesome as well, but TB is better.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

OK, cool. Thanks guys. This makes me feel better about not being able to afford the really good stuff, at least.

Guys, this Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart, are you talking about the 'for men' or the 'for women' version?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I would assume the mens.

Yes, the men's. The blue bottle with the rope around the atomizer.

So far I have found no replacement.

Set Sail Barts has such a poor (interms of materials) and different second half and I find the formula rather different than VIW's spicy-floral, muted rum, woods and cane. There is an even more massive drop in quality (and lots of missing notes and effects) when comparing CoconutLimeVerbena by the BodyWorks (just walk into a store and compare the two side by side).

This is like saying that **insert random faintly similar citrus frag** is similar to Diors Eau Sauvage just because they share a couple of notes. I have found no frag similar to ViW in a way, say, Chez Bond is similar to GiT.
    Last edited by zztopp; 5th April 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So far I have found no replacement.

Set Sail Barts has such a poor (interms of materials) and different second half and I find the formula rather different than VIW's spicy-floral, muted rum, woods and cane. There is an even more massive drop in quality (and lots of missing notes and effects) when comparing CoconutLimeVerbena by the BodyWorks (just walk into a store and compare the two side by side).

This is like saying that **insert random faintly similar citrus frag** is similar to Diors Eau Sauvage just because they share a couple of notes. I have found no frag similar to ViW in a way, say, Chez Bond is similar to GiT.
    Well said. I agree.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th April 2010 at 04:34 PM.

I too would like a replacement for Virgin Island Water. I really love Virgin Island Water but the 1 hour longevity is a complete and utter joke and a waste of money on a fragrance.

Set Sails seems to be the noted fragrance that smells most similar, so is that a general consensus?
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works smells almost exactly like Virgin Island Water, however it's a bit more sharp and less creamy. That's your best bet.
    This is exactly what Turin/Sanchez said in the "Perfumes: The Guide". Not having tried the CLV, I can't concur as of yet, but I plan on replacing my VIW with CLV pretty soon.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Cant believe there has been no mention of Bahiana by MPG yet! This one is delightful, though not much cheaper than Creed and harder to find....worth mentioning though!

The new Annick Goutal--Ninfeo Mio--is coconut/fig and herbs with bright citrus on top and creamy woods in the base (Iso E, mostly, but it is a bit ambery too).