Code of Conduct

Default Frags with sillage that comes and goes.

Strangely a few fragrances out of the many that I've sampled/owned/used to own -- their sillage may start off strong, then subside to practically nothing, then come back in a big way. I understand weather and body temperature can be a factor but it isn't always. More specifically I noticed Lolita Lempicka and JPG to do this frequently. It's not at all a bad thing, it's just kind of surprising. Based on where I'm at and who I'm with, this may not always be pleasing. Anyone else notice this with any other frags?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 4th April 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Default Re: Frags with sillage that comes and goes.

Guerlain Vol de Nuit behaves like this on me. Well it doesn┤t start off strong but it sort of comes and goes through the whole flight.
    Last edited by pelle; 4th April 2010 at 08:02 AM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I'll second VdN edt, this is kind of airy and comes off as fleeting, only to make itself known every now and then with a discrete whiff. Parfum is more substantial.

Same here with Vol de Nuit. I think it has disappeared, but later on I get a very delicate "aura".

Jicky parfum is the same. My skin seems to kill it. I thought at first it was olfactory fatigue, as the initial blast is very strong, but when it fades on my skin I can still smell the bottle. After several hours though, it comes back to remind me it's still there.

Boss Bottled - just when you thought the thing is long gone...whoof, there it is!

Agua Lavanda does this to Me, I first apply it and it's very strong. Then after a few hours it goes away, and suddenly I move an arm and it's Scent goes everywhere

Double Zero behaves on me like this. Major sillage and then... almost nothing.

On my skin, Guerlain Vetiver has a very fleeting, almost hasty lasting power and projection

Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur has a come-and-go quality if sprayed under clothing...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

A men, i will wear it the projection will be good, it dies down , i wake up in the morning and it comes back just slightly

Lez Nez's Antimatiere does this.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I get this sense with Lanvin L'Homme and Davidoff Game

BINGO

Erolfa

I find this to be the case in about half the fragrances I own. The top notes are crystal clear, then there is a very hushed/reserved phase going into the heart note. Right when I think there's nothing there, the heart notes will roar back and settle into the base. The new Balenciaga Paris does this on me.

There are also certain ingredients that introduce themselves, exit the stage, and then come back for the curtain call. I said this in an earlier thread about oakmoss and pre-IFRA fragrances that contain the real thing and plenty of it. In Chant d'Aromes, you can feel the oakmoss just out of range of the top notes almost immediately, then when it's time for the base to kick in, it's like a lens focusing very quickly and strongly. The original Rive Gauche (women) does this too.

And yet another:
    Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari
    Last edited by pelle; 5th April 2010 at 07:14 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I've experienced this the most with Penhaligon's LP No 9 for Men and l'Artisan's Havana Vanille. Granted, I don't have years of experience with tons and tons of frags, but of the ones I've experienced, these two come to mind.

I get this with everyone's favourite, Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce. When you think it's gone, it pops back to say hello! This maybe due to my nose being fatigued, however.

Escentric Molecules Molecule 1 (mouthful) is (in)famous for this, and I have to agree it does to creep around, disappear then pop up out of nowhere when you least expect it haha.
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

Daim Blond and H&G Geste

Both Jazz and Live Jazz are this, to me. Here and gone, then back again. All day. Really very nice.