Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is your vanille?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tobacco Vanille

24 43.64%
  • Spiritueuse Double Vanille

20 36.36%
  • Havana Vanille

11 20.00%

Default ... The Fight of 3 great Vanilles ...

Tobacco Vanille

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Havana Vanille

I love three of them, wonderful smoky vanille scents. SDV is like a "smokier" version of TV, and TV is more vanille version of SDV. While HV is a little boozy.
    If you have to choose one, which vanille will you pick, and why?

Default Re: ... The Fight of 3 great Vanilles ...

I liked the Tom Ford; disliked the Guerlain; haven't tried the L'Artisan.

Sdv ftw

Sur la Plage

I love the Tom Ford, like the L'Artisan, dislike the Guerlain
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tobacco Vanille
    Havana Vanille
    Double Vanille

In that order. Own havana Vanille and I really enjoy it.

SDV

Tobacco Vanille
    Havana Vanille
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Damn.. I think for me the Tobacco Vanille wins it since it has other things going on. SDV is great but it smells like pure vanilla. Now, I do love vanilla but I'd wish it had something else going on. I haven't gotten to try Havana Vanille unfortunately
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I know this is heresy, but when I smelled SDV, it reminded me intensely of some fake vanilla extract I have.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Damn.. I think for me the Tobacco Vanille wins it since it has other things going on. SDV is great but it smells like pure vanilla. Now, I do love vanilla but I'd wish it had something else going on. I haven't gotten to try Havana Vanille unfortunately
    IMO, Tobacco Vanille is like 70% tobacco and 30% vanilla, and SDV is 70% vanilla and 30% tobacco. Almost complete opposites in that regard, but I do actually get quite a bit of tobacco from SDV, just not nearly as much as from TV. I guess it's really up to personal preference, in which proportion you like better.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No contest for me. It's Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I prefer my vanilla airy smoky & not too sweet, with a more muted tobacco - the balance on SDV is just perfect. Ford's Tobacco Vanille is a little too sweet and on some days I get too much of straight tobacco. Havana Vanille is nicely balanced but typical of L'Artisans, it is ephemeral.

Chose the TV, but also enjoy SDV.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    No contest for me. It's Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I prefer my vanilla airy smoky & not too sweet, with a more muted tobacco - the balance on SDV is just perfect. Ford's Tobacco Vanille is a little too sweet and on some days I get too much of straight tobacco. Havana Vanille is nicely balanced but typical of L'Artisans, it is ephemeral.
    This is really helpful. I'm loving the vanilla in L'Instant pH EDP but I prefer something less sweet and darker. Looks like I need to be hunting for SDV!

Ford.

I don't really like the L'Artisan. It's not bad, i just don't care for it.
    I really like the Guerlain, and acknowledge that it is higher quality and done with more class than the Tom Ford.
    But I would never buy the Guerlain. It's just too powdery, and too boozy.
    Tobacco Vanille, on the other hand, lacks any powder, and doesn't seem boozy at all.
    TFTV is too sweet, yes, but it's a vanilla scent.
    It has just enough spices and moist-pipe-tobacco to make it masculine enough to wear.
    And it's smooth/heavy texture are also a key part to what gives it enough masculinity for being so sweet.

Tobacco Vanille for me. Its wonderfully done and has that amazing pipe tobacco feel that I love.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 16th April 2010 at 03:53 AM.

I don't care for the Tobacco Vanille at all. It smells like straight up poutpourri. SDV is good, but I am am thankful to the basenoter that recommended Michael Micallef's Note Vanille as a great vanilla option to the ones mentioned, because that one smells a lot like SDV, and for less $ and a nicer bottle-I would definetely consider it.

I have a decant of L'Artisan's Havanna Vanille and I love it. I don't wear it very often, but when I do, I feel sophisticated. It's good stuff. I would put this and SDV/Note Vanille right behind my absolute favorite premium fragrance Hermessence Ambre Narguile.

Havana Vanille for me, the only one of the three that has a complex evolution. Some days I find Tobacco Vanille to be absolutely oppressive and cloying. SDV is very rich, but I tend to agree with Galamb_Borong that it closely resembles an artificial vanilla extrait.

SDV is too much straight vanilla for me to enjoy. It is too evocative of baking in the kitchen to my nose.

I wish that I could buy three :P So funny that when I first tried these three, I didn't like them at all. Tobacco Vanille was...too much vanille and simple. The vanille in SDV was too feminin for my taste. While Havana Vanille was too spicy and ...weird. After a few wears, I started loving them. But after serveral times wearing these three, about Tobacco Vanille, I totally agree with Kevin Guyer, it is cloying. And I'm so surprised that I find myself from hate to love like crazy SDV and ( especially ) Havana Vanille. Havana Vanille is complex while SDV is beautiful and rich vanille. I'm thinking about buying these two vanilles. But I still want to know which vanille people love most

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Some days I find Tobacco Vanille to be absolutely oppressive and cloying.
    This is precisely why I don't ever wear this anymore. I like to smell it on a friend of mine, to whom I had introduced this. But I shirk to wear this. It's just too powerful. I need to go easy on the trigger one of these days so that I could return to old times when I loved this.

Haven't tried Havana Vanille so can't say anything about that.

As for SDV, it is extremely sweet. It also borders on getting cloying if you apply a bit too much. This indeed smells like a true vanilla. It is not as powerful as TF Tobacco Vanille but still potent.

My vote, as of today, goes to SDV.

It's great to read about these three perfumes being compared.
    Too bad SDV is for me out of reach by availability and it's price.
    TV is traceable but would still be too expensive to own.
    That leaves HV as the only practical and realistic choice.

Could anyone compare HV to another praised, well known and my currently favourite vanilla: Jaipur Homme Boucheron?
    A king is not put in a palace before it is adorned. A heart's treasure is unlocked only when that heart is purified.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Havana Vanille for me, the only one of the three that has a complex evolution. Some days I find Tobacco Vanille to be absolutely oppressive and cloying. SDV is very rich, but I tend to agree with Galamb_Borong that it closely resembles an artificial vanilla extrait.
    I'm not a vanilla lover -- at least for vanilla "solinotes" -- and Havana Vanille is the only scent in this family, with Jean-Claude Ellena's Vanille Galante, that doesn't feel cloying to me. As Kevin states, it has complex evolution: in fact, it's like Bertrand Duchaufour built a second vanilla with other materials from all its facets and put it into orbit around the vanilla absolute. I particularly enjoy the fresh tobacco leaf effect created with the narcissus and tonka bean. He achieves a transparency which is very different from Ellena's take on the material. Next to those, both the Guerlain and the Tom Ford feel a bit heavy-handed. But then again, as I said, I'm not that much into vanilla, so it makes sense that neither Havana Vanille nor Vanille Galante would be favourites with those who love the note!

OK... one wrist has Havana Vanille, the other Tobacco Vanille. I don't have Spiritueuse Double Vanille to compare at the moment....

Tobacco Vanille is kind of a cleaner scent, Havana Vanille smokier and less sweet. I agree the L'Artisan is more complex in its development. I like them both but side by side I prefer Havana Vanille. I have never tried the Guerlain.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I have my own decision.

I have Havana Vanille. I've tried Tom Ford Vanille for so many times.

But I still miss Guerlain Vanille like crazy.

So Guerlainr Vanille gets my vote

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    SDV is too much straight vanilla for me to enjoy. It is too evocative of baking in the kitchen to my nose.
    Which is probably why I love SDV the most. You see I used to hang around the kitchen a lot as a kid, esp when my mom was baking some cakes...

The Spiritueuse. The Double. The Vanille.

Tha vanilla, the booze, the tobacco, the smokiness -- it's like a symphony.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather