Code of Conduct

Default Eau Sauvage for Young Men

I came across Eau Sauvage, and while I really admire it, I feel strongly that it is not something that a college student such as I should wear (should be worn by an older gentlemen). Any similar fragrances that are a little...edgier/more modern?

Dependent

Default Re: Eau Sauvage for Young Men

What do you like about Eau Sauvage that makes you wanna find an "edgier/more modern" version of it? Is it the lemon zest (or citrus) you enjoy, but the slightly herbal and animalic qualities that you find a little dated? I ask so that it may help me know what to suggest to you to try.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th April 2010 at 09:18 AM.

You are in no way too young to wear Eau Sauvage. If you like it, GET IT - you have a chance to set yourself apart from your peers, and to exhibit your good taste! No one will look at you strange for wearing this classic.

It's my wife's favorite men's scent, and she bought it for me when I was 23. I'm 40 now, and I've worn it ever since she bought it for me way back then.

Mr. Shamu1 is right -- just get it. Timeless classic. You won't regret this buy.

I wore Eau Sauvage in High School and in College in the 1970s. It is still every bit as good a fragrance now as it was back then. I personally don't feel that there's anything dated at all about this classic fragrance. It is extremely classy. If I were you, I would definitely buy it.

If you are looking for something a bit edgier but along the same basic lines as Eau Sauvage, you might want to try Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci. It also has a "Mediterranean" feel to it, although it is not as smooth as Eau Sauvage. Eau Sauvage is definitely a higher quality fragrance, but Capucci pour Homme has three times the longevity, at one third of the price.

ES is probably the best of the genre and not too many people wear it or even know what it is anymore. It appears to have been drowned out by Polo, Acqua di Gio, etc.

Basenotes Plus

I've never gone with this age categorisation crap. It's a classic - if you like it, wear it.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 5th April 2010 at 08:22 AM.

BINGO

I am in college and proudly wear Eau Sauvage. Feel like the king of the world every time, AND get complimented because it's that's good.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I've never gone with this age categorisation crap. It's a classic - if you like it, wear it.
    I first used ES at 16 while in senior high school (A-Levels). It was as good then as it is now, if not better. If you want to stand out nowadays then ES is the way to go. However, if you want to blend in with the masses, then......

Look, wear ES for your own enjoyment. You like it. That's what really matters. That's where satisfaction and fulfillment is found.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I love Eau Sauvage, so I'd also say go for it (I'm 29, btw). In answer to the original question though, if you can get hold of it, you might find Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir more modern/young.
    Last edited by WillC; 5th April 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Timeless classic. You won't regret this buy.
    Heartily agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I agree 100%.

That's exactly what asssociating fragrances with age is - crap.

I was not just fascinated, but also eager to wear Eau Sauvage since my early teens, I never felt "too young" to wear it

Would you drive a '65 Ford Mustang, a '66 Corvette Stingray, or a '66 Pontiac GTO? How cool would that be?

All of those are from the same era as Eau Sauvage. Eau Sauvage is just as cool as those cars! I still don't understand when, how or why this fragrance got relegated to old codger status.

You say you really admire it, so wear it! At least give it try for a week or so and see if you are comfortable with it before deciding it's not for you.

noggs

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

If you're not comfterable in ES,
    try Dune pour Homme, also by
    Dior..!

You could also give Diorella a try.

I tested Eau Sauvage and I really think a young men can pull this of easily.

It smells a litle bit "dated" when you smell it up close from your wrist.
    My advise is to spray it a few times on your chest so you can smell "the aura" when you move around.

In a week I will be 22 years old and I own Rive Gauche for some years now.
    I don't really care anymore about fragrance smelling "dated", when you enjoy it and it makes you feel confident, go for it. The one thing I am more cautious of is when a fragrance smells feminine.
    You certainly won't smell feminine with Eau Sauvage!

I have tried Eau Sauvage once so not sure if Eau de Rochas is similar? It's a really great lemony scent. Smells rich IMO.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    You could also give Diorella a try.
    +1.

Eau Sauvage is one of my favorites and I also think you could wear it if you like it.

I think it's great too, and I wear it every once in a while. I wouldn't wear it on a date with a young girl, though, as girls my age (24 and lower) tend to not like it through association with an older relative, teacher, coach etc.

You might. however, like Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, which is a little more modern, but still has a vintage feel and smells great. It's also less common than Eau Sauvage, and so it won't get as many of those "mature" associations.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    I came across Eau Sauvage, and while I really admire it, I feel strongly that it is not something that a college student such as I should wear (should be worn by an older gentlemen). Any similar fragrances that are a little...edgier/more modern?
    Have you already tried Eau Sauvage Fraiche Cuir? Maybe you find it younger than the Eau Sauvage.
    But, If you like Eau Sauvage, why don`t use it? When I was a college student I discoverd my favorite fragrance, M7, and didn`t feel worried of using it and looking old. It smelled great on me, so I used it and today i have great memories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I wore Eau Sauvage in High School and in College in the 1970s. It is still every bit as good a fragrance now as it was back then. I personally don't feel that there's anything dated at all about this classic fragrance. It is extremely classy. If I were you, I would definitely buy it.
    I totally agree. It's gorgeous.

Definitely one of my Favorite Fragrances
    why try to find something else if you love what you have?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I first wore this when I was probably 22-23, And I still wear it. I'm 46. Wear it, it's a special scent

tbh I've had it since I was 22.
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    If you're not comfterable in ES,
    try Dune pour Homme, also by
    Dior..!
    +1 . Tried eau savage= too spicy
    tried Dune = also "savage" but more sweet and nice for me

If you want to smell great for 2 hours, and after that, nothing... Then buy it!

I am wearing Eau Sauvage today, and I love the way that I smell. Is that narcissistic?

Anyway, I agree with everyone who says, if you love it, go for it!

But, if you want some alternatives . . . .

I see Eau Sauvage as an evolutionary descendant of the original citrus eau de cologne, at least in basic structure. We keep the citrus up top, but we change the heart notes. Instead of rose or clove or rosemary or one of the other traditional eau de cologne heart notes, we go with jasmine. Sometimes the works of greatest genius involve just the slightest changes.

Anyway, I can think of several other fragrances that take the traditional eau de cologne and give it a twist:

*Armani Eau pour Homme.

*Bath & Body Works' White Citrus. Top notes are still citrus, but more lemony and grapefruity. The heart is, instead of jasmine, ginger and waterlily. The overall effect is more contemporary than Eau Sauvage, although I would say that Eau Sauvage is still more nicely done.

*Mugler Cologne.

You are never too young or too old to wear Eau Sauvage. My father wore this while at university in London in the late 1960s and I wear it now while in my 30s. It is always appropriate for any occasion. The only reason you think it is too old a fragrance for you is that you know its older than you are and you're aware of its classic status. The scent itself though is timeless.

Put on a crisp cotton shirt, a good pair of shoes and a few sprays of Eau Sauvage and you will be ready for anything.

Hm . . .I believe it was Scentemental in one of his posts who pointed out that the ES available these days is a reformulation of the original---I could be wrong, if so my apologies---but someone mentioned there was a different bottle originally, with a different juice.
    Apparently it was better, I don't know about edgier. So JMang the answer could be that what is best for a young man is the vintage version

I'm too old to wear the current one, or have too much hair on my chest--it smells as if I spilled a cup of basil/lemon herbal tea.

ES came out before unisex frags and I feel it works great on women, esp the jungle tigress types.

But of course a man who has the suitable skin chemistry can wear this (reformulated?) classic. It's not super-formal, for the love of citrus!
    If you like it wear it in elementary school! The question is not really if you need something edgier, but do you think it's too staid ?
    It's all about what you love on you!

There are many fragrances I admire but I fear I could not give them my undivided attention.

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 10th April 2010 at 06:19 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Its the animalistic qualities that Edmond Roudnitska's famous for (as in Eau D'Hermes as well) that makes my nose twitch. I'm bought a small sample to see if it'll fit better after a couple wears.

To see what else is in my collection, my top fragrances are Gier - Men, YSL - L'homme, Chanel AHS and Armani Code.

I have tried Mugler Cologne, it is very refreshing...but too soapy lol! Next is the Fraiche Cuir and Verte D'Orange...

wear mature frags, makes you stand out and shows you got class.

Cool Re: Eau Sauvage for Young Men

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    Its the animalistic qualities that Edmond Roudnitska's famous for (as in Eau D'Hermes as well) that makes my nose twitch. I'm bought a small sample to see if it'll fit better after a couple wears.

To see what else is in my collection, my top fragrances are Gier - Men, YSL - L'homme, Chanel AHS and Armani Code.

I have tried Mugler Cologne, it is very refreshing...but too soapy lol! Next is the Fraiche Cuir and Verte D'Orange...
    Your top fragrances are nice but perhaps a wee bit on the bland side? I like Geir too, esp for winter. I don't think I'd ever call it edgy.

BTW, Did you get a sample of ES or Eau d'Hermes? That was a bit unclear. If the latter--well, that may be a step in the right direction; whatever EdH is, it's not bland.

Best of Luck,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I tested it today at Sephora (I'm 22) and it didn't feel too mature a frag for me. I think you'd be wise to give it a shot!

it was definitely Eau Sauvage (eau d'hermes elsewhere).

Multiple wearings, and for me, its something to be appreciated, not worn. As we all know, what smells well for and on someone will not reciprocate equally for another.

I do have Eau De Rochas (actually selling it now, another scent I appreciate, but have not worn consistently).

Dune shall be next on my list, and perhaps Diorella, though I am cautiously approaching "unisex" fragrances. Verte D'Orange shall follow

The fraicheur cuir suggestion is great.
    I'm younger than you and love ES but especially that animalistic note you referred to might be avoided.