Code of Conduct

Default Are there any "sport" fragrances worth a damn?

Here's why I'm asking: going to opening day at the ballpark tomorrow, and looking at my generally snotty collection of Basenotes-approved fragrances I can only think, "No, Chergui is not really right for this."

I think the only actual sport flanker I have in my collection is a bottle of Eternity for Men Sport that's 10+ years old. Would probably make a good paint stripper by now.

I go to lots of sports events, and I usually stick with aftershave-type stuff, safe and boring, like Old Spice.

So what does the Basenotes gang have to say about sports flankers - any good ones out there?
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 5th April 2010 at 04:29 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: Are there any "sport" fragrances worth a damn?

Sticking specifically to sport flankers, Polo Sport is one that I always enjoyed. It sure was a little over popular a while back, but I doubt it still is...

dior homme sport, allure homme sport are ok from going by memory. i personally do not care for sport frags.

I hate sports fragrances, but I really like Polo Sport. Some people say it smells outdated, like some 90s acquatic, but I really like it. It's like Cool Water with a strange, warm and earthy note running right through it. This is the "seaweed" note in Polo Sport, and is what sets apart from all the other sports scents.

Good suggestions - thanks guys.

PS, this is really pretty funny: I did a google search for "eternity men sport" and this listing came up on the first page - "Toxic Hazard Eternity Tee" -

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...:referralID=NA

Not strictly sport fragrances but you might want to check out Versace PH and/or Hugo XY. Two brands of which I typically detest their offerings, but these are both great summer fragrances that are light on the wallet.

Also worth sniffing is L'eau Par Kenzo if you can find it.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 5th April 2010 at 05:14 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The reviews in the directory for the latest Lanvin L'homme Sport seem to be decent. I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

My favorites that say "sport" on the bottle are the sport versions from YSL Kouros, Chanel Allure Homme and Lanvin L'Homme. They are each more refreshing as they dry down than their original versions. Allure Homme Sport Cologne is very strong grapefruit at first followed by Allure type spice woods. Kouros Cologne Sport is the standard Kouros signature accord of clove+overripe oranges but with the heaviness removed. Lanvin L'Homme Sport has a more green wooded sport scent with a light patchouli drydown very reminiscent of the now discontinued Mugler Ice•Men drydown. All three are good choices.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th April 2010 at 05:20 AM.

+1 Allure Homme Sport Cologne, there's something lightly soapy in it, which I really like, and the drydown is a bit more woodsy than others "sport" fragrances I smelled. Kinda light in projection but lingering for a lot of hours.

This is an excellent question and, surprisingly, one that seems not to have been asked often.

The short answer according to my take on things is no. The only four I can think of that are worth a damn, and more than a damn at that, are the following exceptionally good fragrances:

Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport (1969)
    Perfumer: Jean Kerléo

Sport de Paco Rabanne (1986)
    Perfumer: Rosendo Mateu

YSL Kouros Eau de Sport (1986)

Cartier Santos de Cartier Eau de Sport (1989)

It's no accident that all four of these "sport" versions were produced before "sport" became a cynical, mercenary excuse to produce and even more banal version of the original or a completely banal, unrelated version of the original.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 5th April 2010 at 06:01 AM.

chanel sport .. the girls love it..
    has nice sillage and a great fresh smell.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

This is an excellent question and, surprisingly, one that seems not to have been asked often.

The short answer according to my take on things is no. The only four I can think of that are worth a damn, and more than a damn at that, are the following exceptionally good fragrances:

Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport (1969)
    Perfumer: Jean Kerléo

YSL Kouros Eau de Sport (1986)

Cartier Santos de Cartier Eau de Sport (1989)

It's no accident that all four of these "sport" versions were produced before "sport" became a cynical, mercenary excuse to produce and even more banal version of the original or a completely banal, unrelated version of the original.

scentemental

I totally agree!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hugo Boss Boss in motion IMHO is very nice sporty/casual scent. To me it is sweet, but utilitarsticaly cold fragrance, yet weirdly inviting.

I dunno if you are specifically looking for a flanker with the name "sport" in the title, or just a sporty fragrance. To me, what comes to mind and is relatively inexpensive is Michael Jordan. Has a nice citrus/pepper sporty smell, not as synthetic smelling as many of its competitors, good sillage, good longevity, and you won't smell like everyone else because it's not too common now a days.

Cartier Santos eau de Sport is the one and only "sport" I've liked ... and it is fantastic!
    Last edited by ziffy321; 5th April 2010 at 10:34 AM.

I would suggest the old and forgotten Hugo Boss Sport (1987)
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120243/reviews.html
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

G.Nejman Le Sportiff is excellent, but it's quite expensive

Cartier Santos de Cartier Eau de Sport

Marginally, even Opium Eau d'Orient, is, although unlikely at first, a very light, almost informal "casual Oriental"

it has the same richness compared to the venerable, original formulation Old Spice- which you like- yet with a far creamier, spicy and more contemporary twist

I used up a 50ml bottle of Hilfiger Athletics. This is the first bottle that I've ever used up. If I see this one again at Marshalls then I would most likely pick myself up another bottle. The problem is that I've only seen one bottle of this at one Marshalls when I bought mine.
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th April 2010 at 12:46 PM.

I am not real big on Sport fragrances per SE,but if you want a refreshing, and a little different take on Sport fragrances try Tiffany for Men Sport. This is not a water downed flanker of Tiffany For Men, but rather a somewhat lighter, and more refreshing version of It's brother. Not often talked about here on the boards, but is really a well blended Sport fragrance. Worth a hard look.In my humble opinion the best Sport fragrance I've come across.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I second L'eau Par Kenzo for sporty goodness. I have recently found out about this little treasure thanks to the advice from basenoters.

Great work guys. Lots of intriguing recommendations here.

As several have mentioned - correctly - I shouldn't limit this to just fragrances that have the word "sport" on the label. Guess I'm kind of intrigued by the suggestion that expert perfumers might actually know what goes best as a sports fragrance. But obviously -- well, even I know better than to show up smelling like Lemon Pledge, which is what seems to go as "sport," in some fragrance circles.

I'm taking the day off, and the game doesn't start til 3. I'll have time to run by a shop or two to see if I can pick up one or two of these suggestions.

Play ball! Glad the season's here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

As several have mentioned - correctly - I shouldn't limit this to just fragrances that have the word "sport" on the label. Guess I'm kind of intrigued by the suggestion that expert perfumers might actually know what goes best as a sports fragrance. But obviously -- well, even I know better than to show up smelling like Lemon Pledge, which is what seems to go as "sport," in some fragrance circles.

I'm taking the day off, and the game doesn't start til 3. I'll have time to run by a shop or two to see if I can pick up one or two of these suggestions.

As am I!!! Go White Sox!!!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Allure Homme Sport
    Beckham Signature
    sb[]p

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 on RL Polo Sport. Glad to see some love for it. This was one of the few I had to replace after using up a bottle.

Tiffany for Men Sport Cologne is pretty nice too.

Agree with NYCBoy. Would like to add Boss Sport and L'eau par Kenzo Indigo.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I used to like Paco Rabanne Sport.

I'm not a fan either, but I find myself wanting a "change of pace" once in a while, and if Dior's Higher is a "sport" frag, then I recommend it.

I came across this thread yesterday and recalled I had an appropriate bottle to offer up. I checked the directory and saw that it took several serious knocks for poor longevity so I passed on mentioning it but since I'd showered earlier and had no where to go took off the cap of my barely used bottle of Claiborne Sport and spritzed away. It's an odd little scent, for sure, and the only thing I've ever smelled in the real world remotely close to its top notes is the purple powdered candy to be found in Pixie Sticks. Strange but in a nice sort of way, after a while the candy gives way to a grassy green and herby concoction that seems to last for hours and hours like an echo that fades away and then returns fainter, but unmistakable. Now, almost 24 hours later I can still make out where it was, more like a footprint in the grass than echo. Nothing spectacular, scent wise, but can be had for a song and, well, seems sporty and easy going to me and lasts longer on some than advertised. Your mileage may vary.

+1 Allure homme Sport

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

I'm a fan of this one.

I was ready to hate Allure Homme Sport, but gotta say I kind of like it. It's not anything I reach for often, but it's a good choice if I'm going to be around people that are easily offended by interesting frags.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Smile Re: Are there any "sport" fragrances worth a damn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I am not real big on Sport fragrances per SE,but if you want a refreshing, and a little different take on Sport fragrances try Tiffany for Men Sport. This is not a water downed flanker of Tiffany For Men, but rather a somewhat lighter, and more refreshing version of It's brother. Not often talked about here on the boards, but is really a well blended Sport fragrance. Worth a hard look.In my humble opinion the best Sport fragrance I've come across.
    ^^

Great suggestions! I am glad to see Tiffany for Men Sport finally getting some love on Basenotes. I have been pimping it for a while now. It really is different and is probably in my top two or three go to summer fragrances.

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Good luck, let us know the outcome.
    The outcome: Detroit 8, KC 4. Damn.

I called around town before the game, trying to locate samples of some of the recommendations listed here. Scored with Tiffany for Men Sport. Very good stuff, possibly bottle-worthy. Probably bottle-worthy.

When I picked up my female co-worker on the way to the game, she said, "You smell amazing" the second she closed the car door.

I am also very interested in Cartier Santos Sport. Most likely an online buy, since it's been discontinued. It'll take some doing to get my hands on some.

Thanks again to the Basenoters who chimed in. Very helpful stuff. Your advice is what Basenotes is all about.

Polo Sport and Allure Sport.....Gary

I agree with noirwest's Claiborne Sport recommendation. Sport or not, it's one of my favorite warm weather fragrances. In fact, I'm wearing it today in unseasonable 90 degree weather. It smells great and lasts too. Plus, you won't find many other people wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Agree with NYCBoy. Would like to add Boss Sport and L'eau par Kenzo Indigo.
    +1 on L'eau par Kenzo Indigo - I didn't know it was a "sport" but its my favorite Kenzo right now. Its only downside is it does not project strongly but it does smell really nice.

allure homme sport is ok, i think it's better than allure.

Allure Homme Cologne Sport and Dior Homme Sport

I also like Polo Sport

To this day Claiborne Sport remains in my top 10. It's fresh on many different levels. It's soapy, green, herbal, and ozonic all at the same time. It's one of the few fresh scents that has excellent sillage and longevity on me. It's very distinct and I haven't found any other fragrance that smells like it.

Adidas Deep Impact is sporty, inoffensive, but not totally boring. It's cheap enough to be worth a shot.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

There are many fragrances with sport in their name these days. Lightened scents to expand or build on a name. I think "Summer" has become the new "Sport." And there are many fragrances that smell sporty. In my opinion the scent that defines the Sport fragrance category and really launched its's popularity is Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren. Many body washes, deoderants, soap bars also use it's basic aroma. It smells like a shower in a bottle because of it's rather simple, fresh , crisp smell. The citrus notes, mint and seaweed are the stand out notes here. If you haven't had a chance to smell it you should or if it's been some time then a revisit. It is the only cologne that I went through several bottles of during the 90's because for casual use it seemed perfect.

There are heaps of good sports scents.

Benetton Sport is my favourite, closely followed by Calirborne Sport.
    Other excellent ones I have are,
    Kouros Cologne Sport,
    Polo Sport,
    Polo Sport Extreme,
    Zipped Sports.

It's a shame there is no Silver Mountain Water Sport.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th April 2010 at 01:04 PM.