Code of Conduct

Default Gardenia - distinctive aromachemical that gives it that "cheese" note?

I'm hoping the more advanced perfumers on here don't mind enlightening me on this one!

I hardly have a professional nose, but there is a distinct creamy, cheesy quality to gardenia that I don't find in other fragrances, nor in jasmine or most tuberose fragrances, so I don't think it has to do with indoles ( especially as many famously indolic fragrances have no hint of this note ). Without it, gardenia fragrances don't smell like gardenia, but a lot of it, and there is a definite mushroomy blue-cheese quality many associate with Velvet Gardenia ( including myself ).

If any here know, please enlighten me!

Default Re: Gardenia - distinctive aromachemical that gives it that "cheese" note?

i do not know the answer, but just in case: did you search the odor index of tgsc? they have gardenia, cheesy, mushroom indexes and they list all the matching raw materials, including their other descriptors. so you can look for something that has a combination of 'gardenia' and 'cheese' and 'mushroom' and see the complete profile of these.
    Last edited by gido; 5th April 2010 at 04:01 PM.

Default Re: Gardenia - distinctive aromachemical that gives it that "cheese" note?

Here is what Bo Jensen records about Gardenia:

The gardenia most commonly grown is a filled variety of G. jasminoides, originating in southern China. The flowers need a high humidity to develop properly.

(E)-ocimene together with linalool, methyl benzoate and a number of tiglic acid esters are the major components of the gardenia flower headspace. A recent Japanese study determined the enatiomeric ratio of several volatiles from gardenia flowers. Jasmine lactone, gamma-decalactone and linalool was shown to be close to 100 % of the above chirality

(See: http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOil...2.htm#Gardenia)

I would have to say the lactones, gamma decalactone specifically, may be what you identify as cheesy. As their name indicates, they have milky or cheesy facets. Their smell can also be described as, "creamy" or "coconutty." You can purchase small samples on perfumers apprentice if you'd like to experiment or broaden your olfactory palate by smelling the raw materials then trying to identify them in your fragrance. I hope this helps.

I don't know specifically what components give gardenia a blue cheese quality....but I can tell you that if you want a natural fragrance that can impart the blue cheese component, look no further than Spikenard essential oil. Whewwweeee....Stinky, cheesy....yet sweet, especially as it settles after its top components have faded. It's very interesting stuff....and very blue cheesy!