Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Vetiver & Latte Candy

Alright folks, we've got a situation...

Tonight I was reorganizing my sample collection, as one does, in anticipation of the arrival of a number of vetiver-based fragrance vials from ThePerfumedCourt later this week. I dabbed some Guerlain Vetiver on my forearm to set the mood and happily began the task of sorting and (re)labeling.

In doing so, I chanced upon a lone piece of Bali's Best Latte Candy amidst the myriad vials, which TPC included with an old sample order. Naturally, I ate it and it was delicious.

I mention this because, shortly after swallowing, I was suddenly enveloped in the most wonderful aroma, somehow both crisp and clean yet sweet and burnt. Despite being surrounded by about 100 samples, it did not take long to realize that I owed the pleasure to the esophagotracheal confluence of the Vetiver on my arm and the Latte Candy in my belly (or the inside of my cheeks, if you prefer).

The best part of the happy accident was the roasted warmth that the candy added to GV's crisp, mature take on vetiver. What I am looking for is a vetiver-based or vetiver-prominent scent with a (roasted) coffee/latte/mocha/caramel aspect. It is difficult for me to describe in detail the taste of the candy because I do not drink coffee of any kind, but I imagine a chocolate note would achieve roughly the same effect of slightly scorched earthiness. I could just buy a bottle GV and a whole case of the candy to "layer" as needed--and I may still do -- but in the meantime, I want to see if I get any mileage out of this longshot.

A quick search of the BN Directory turns up some persons of interest:

• Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental
    • Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    • Fresh Cannabis Santal
    • Fresh Fleurs de Chocolate Mikado, which sounds amazing and looks discontinued
    • Ayala Moriel Vetiver Noir, part of a quintet of experiments that resulted in Vetiver Racinettes
    • Le Prince Jardinier Ciel Mon Jardin
    • Ted Baker M

I have never smelled any of these fragrances. Does anyone who has believe that any of these might be what I am looking for? Do you have any other suggestions worth sampling? I appreciate that this is all a bit strange so thanks for humoring me...
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 5th April 2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added a few more suspects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vetiver & Latte Candy

If you are near a Hermes boutique you might like to check out the Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you are near a Hermes boutique you might like to check out the Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.
    Last edited by pelle; 5th April 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

The Jo Malone fragrance is nice enough; it is a sweet coffee note (not really black coffee at all, it reminds me of a coffee flavored icing) on top of a slightly smoky-woody vetiver. Personally I think it is a little flat, but it is worth sampling especially if you are looking for a coffee/vetiver fragrance.

The Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental has more of a chocolate-y character on top a a sweet, heavily-ambered vetiver. It is a very good fragrance but it can be hard to wear for some reason.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    That looks a decent shout. Thank you, I will try and get a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    The Jo Malone fragrance is nice enough; it is a sweet coffee note (not really black coffee at all, it reminds me of a coffee flavored icing) on top of a slightly smoky-woody vetiver. Personally I think it is a little flat, but it is worth sampling especially if you are looking for a coffee/vetiver fragrance.

The Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental has more of a chocolate-y character on top a a sweet, heavily-ambered vetiver. It is a very good fragrance but it can be hard to wear for some reason.
    I appreciate the info, thank you; gives me a slightly better idea of what to expect.

Upon reflection, I ought to be welcoming suggestions for any vetiver-prominent scent with a slightly roasted/burnt aspect to it, the latter being the key contribution of the Latte Candy to my experience last night (since it isn't a fragrance, as such). Something like helichrysum in the right hands might work. And now that I think about it, it might be worth moving Molinard's Habanita up the to-sample list...

Anything else fit the bill, more or less?
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 5th April 2010 at 05:01 PM.