Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Help! Is this a FAKE?!

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section.

A few years ago I had a decant of Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka.
    I have finally gotten around to buying a FB and found one on eBay that I think must be a fake.

I just wanted to run my story past you guys on the off-chance that I do not recall this perfume properly.

Ok, I recieved the bottle this morning and the stem of the apple was off. I managed to put it back on without much incident. I sprayed lightly on one arm as I remembered it to be quite strong. At first, the perfume smelled vaguely familiar and I thought all was good until ... I think ... I smelled ... pineapple. Fruity! Since when is Lolita Lempicka fruity? The initial topnotes disappeared within about 5 seconds and I was left with a sweeter, fruitier version of Tresor. I was stunned.
    I thought, ok that can't be right but maybe the formula has changed recently. I thought maybe the cherry had been morphed somehow into this sweety, sugary, pineapple through some 'tweaking' since I last used it and waited for some lower midnotes to come out. After about 20 mins I smelled nothing. The perfume disappeared with the fruity notes.

Still in denial, I decided to take the perfume to the spare room and douse myself in it. I counted the sprays after the first few and I can tell you it was 20+. Yep. More than 20 sprays. Now this is a great warning sign but remember, I was in denial. The scent of the room I sprayed in went back to normal (unscented) after about 2 minutes. But my husband could smell the perfume - fruity as it was. We then took the kids to an Easter Fair and I waited to smell Lolita Lempicka as I remembered it. We had gotten to the fair within about 30 mins and my husband had not smelled it at all. 20+ sprays and I have NO sillage at all. Even I have to stuff my nose right into the crook of my elbow to smell anything.
    About 2 hours later I start to smell what I remembered of LL but it's really faint and I have to search hard with my nose directly on my skin - I get the impression that somehow this genuine perfume bottle has been diluted with some amazingly light fruity stuff. It's so weird how that part of it disappears completely so fast yet what is left is a shadow of LL. Just strange - how do they do this?

I smell no Tonka, Musk, or the Licorice kinda smell I was looking forward to smelling agin. I always got this slightly burnt smell about it too which isn't mentioned in the notes and most certainly isn't in the bottle I'm holding in my hands right now ... wow ... pretty bottle ...

Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is, is Lolita Lempicka a skin scent and not the medium/big sillage scent I remembered? Have I gotten confused with something else? I know 20+ sprays is way too much for this to be genuine but ... but ... yeah I'm in denial still. D:

I just read some reviews of it and I can't believe people compare it to Angel but can see why on some level (from memory). I AM right in remembering this perfume as a slightly spicy semi-gourmand right? It was never a fruity scent was it? The vanilla should be there right? Though admittedly, I think I do smell a little vanilla after about 6 hours albeit really faintly (could be wishful thinking too I suppose).

I'm going to test it tomorrow again and ask others if they can smell it. I doubt they can but hey - it's worth a shot before I start 'proceedings'. Ugh. I hate that whole process.

I would like as many opinions as possible before I start trying to sort this out on eBay.

Thank you in advance
    Kal

Default Re: Help! Is this a FAKE?!

Hi Kal,

Well, many scents will deteriorate (smell-wise) with age or if stored poorly, but perhaps your best indicator of it being a fake would be to compare the bottle, stickers, packaging and labels with a legitimate version.

Perhaps you can post photos?

From the way you've explained it, if it is not in fact a Lolita Lempicka flanker that youve purchased, then it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Are you sure the decant you had wasn't 'L de Lolitta lempicka' ?

It could have certainly turned bad, but the fact that it looks tampered with may be the biggest clue. It is definitely fruity, but not pineapple, more thick and syrupy and the licorice is prominent and strong. I like the scent, but I find it annoying after a while because it is so strong. Just ask the seller for a refund - note that it appeared tampered with and the smell is completely off. A good seller will offer a refund right away, if that fails, file a complaint with ebay/paypal.

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your quick responses!

I was trying to reply to them last night when the power went out ... !

Dimitri:
    Perhaps you can post photos?
    I actually thought of this and tried last night (before posting) but the screen on my camera is broken and I can't get a clear, focused shot of the numbers on the bottom of the bottle. Everything is authentic as far as I can tell, though.

If anyone can date the bottle the numbers on the bottom are 7B096
    (Is that 2007 or 1996?? If it's the latter that's weird too)

From the way you've explained it, if it is not in fact a Lolita Lempicka flanker that youve purchased, then it doesn't sound quite right to me.
    Definitely not a flanker.

hilaryjane:
    Are you sure the decant you had wasn't 'L de Lolitta lempicka' ?
    100% sure.

jacona:
    It could have certainly turned bad, but the fact that it looks tampered with may be the biggest clue.
    Exactly! This was the core of my confusion I think - I don't want to think the worst of the seller but the combination of the lid and the bad perfume made me worry. I am not 100% confident that I remember the perfume correctly but having to spray something 20 times doesn't seem right to me anyway ...

It is definitely fruity, but not pineapple, more thick and syrupy and the licorice is prominent and strong.
    The latter is what I remember - I don't remember the fruity note as much but the fruit in this is not 'thick and syrupy', more bright, hence my comparison to pineapple. Even that disappears quickly anyway.

Just ask the seller for a refund - note that it appeared tampered with and the smell is completely off. A good seller will offer a refund right away, if that fails, file a complaint with ebay/paypal.
    Yeah I know I'm going to have to do that anyway I just thought I'd better check that I remembered the fragrance correctly (and that I'm not going crazy!). We're going to find out if they're a good seller or not ... I know we could probably get paypal to refund our money but yeah I really didn't want to go ahead without being certain that the problem wasn't my memory.

I have a bottle of Spellbound that I didn't care about and let sit in indirect sunlight without it's box for about 17 years. I tested it again recently and it has all the mid and base notes still while the top is missing. I thought that perhaps the fruity notes would be what died first in situations like that so started to consider that it was a diluted fake quite early ...
    I suppose they'd all 'die' differently though.

Lolita Lempicka is not a skin scent then? xD

Thank you all for your help - I'll probably start 'proceedings' today and will keep you posted.

Kal

Description from osMoz.com
    Delicious tones of anise seeds blend with licorice and violet. Then comes the ivy with a punchy green touch.The amarena, a small sweet almond scented morello cherry, mingles with the woody note of Iris.The mouth-watering notes linger with hints of Tonka bean almond, vanilla, heliotrope and white musk.

They do list pineapple as one of the top notes but I've never smelt it on my skin. I own the EDP & it has lots of sillage & lasts all day (2 spritzes). I have heard that the EDT is lighter but I've never tried it so can't give a comparsion.

Did you purchase the EDP or the EDT?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Description from osMoz.com
    Delicious tones of anise seeds blend with licorice and violet. Then comes the ivy with a punchy green touch.The amarena, a small sweet almond scented morello cherry, mingles with the woody note of Iris.The mouth-watering notes linger with hints of Tonka bean almond, vanilla, heliotrope and white musk.

They do list pineapple as one of the top notes but I've never smelt it on my skin. I own the EDP & it has lots of sillage & lasts all day (2 spritzes). I have heard that the EDT is lighter but I've never tried it so can't give a comparsion.

Did you purchase the EDP or the EDT?
    Thank you so much CuddleCat! Your post has me convinced that it's an old bottle gone bad and not the fake I was fearing.
    It seems the right notes are there but they're warped.
    The sillage/longevity thing is key for me. I also thought 2 spritzes would be plenty for the whole day. Thank you!

It is the EdP btw.
    Last edited by Kal; 6th April 2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling/cleanup

Sorry, that you got bad juice Kal. Hope you are able to get a refund!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Sorry, that you got bad juice Kal. Hope you are able to get a refund!
    Thanks for the sympathy CuddleCat - I've never experienced anything like this before. It's disturbing!
    But
    I got my money back as well as a refund for return postage. *Phew*

Of course it's not all about the money - it was terribly disappointing to not have the perfume.
    I have since ordered some from Fragrance.net which I am yet to receive. They have 100ml bottles listed as 101ml which is a bit nerve-wracking so I'll let you know what happens with that! xD

Thanks to all for your help <3

Too bad I came to this thread late. If you're in Australia, I would've been happy to sell you a used (80 ml+) bottle of Lolita Lempicka EDP for $30 + postage. I got off it after wearing it for a while - think I should have bought the EDT version. And yes it's real - I've smelled mine side by side against a store tester.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Too bad I came to this thread late. If you're in Australia, I would've been happy to sell you a used (80 ml+) bottle of Lolita Lempicka EDP for $30 + postage. I got off it after wearing it for a while - think I should have bought the EDT version. And yes it's real - I've smelled mine side by side against a store tester.
    Oh Poop. Too bad indeed!
    I would have been stoked to get a genuine FB (almost FB) for that price!
    Who knows - I might go through the one I just bought so fast I'll be chasing you up. xD

Out of curiosity, what made you get sick of it? Too sweet?

Cheers - Kal

Actually, no. Turns out I don't like something in the drydown - it's something vetiver-like (whatever it is, it smells dusty earthy to me which reminds me of vetiver).
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Blog Entries

Angry Sheesh - third time lucky maybe?

Firstly, GourmandHomme - shame about the vetiver-like thing. I like a bit of vetiver here and there but it depends on which type. I love the vetiver in Chanel No22.

Anyway - to update with the FragranceNet thing ... I'm started to get rather annoyed ...
    I think the best way to explain is to paste the email I sent just them.

"I collect perfumes and this is the first time I have used FragranceNet.
    I got your link from the Basenotes site of which I am a member.

Trusting my community, I went with your company to buy the fragrance I wanted. As per normal with other sites, I chose my perfume, proceeded to check out and payed for the item through PayPal. I got my invoice from PayPal immediately and thought all was well. I paid for this fragrance on Sunday and yet I got a notice from you on Thursday that I had not paid. That seems to be a long time to wait to tell someone they have not received payment and I can't for the life of me work out why you would say something like this. It is unheard of in my experience with shopping online. I know the problem is not me and is not PayPal.
    I subsequently send you proof that I have indeed paid and you replied with a confirmation that the item is in the warehouse but has not shipped(??) and you also gave a tracking number. More than 12 hours later I used the tracking number to follow the status of my order and it comes up with this: Order Status -- Your order is currently on hold. We are awaiting payment information from you. Please contact us.

If you do not do something about this order rather quickly, I will be demanding a refund and taking my business elsewhere. I will also never do business with you again. This experience has been distressing.
    Needless to say, I am sorely disappointed in your service and will be informing the Basenotes community of this."

As you can probably tell ... I'm not happy. I had read somewhere here on Basenotes that someone else had a bad experience with FragranceNet and it was that that made me nervous about using them in the first place. But they offered the best deal so I thought I'd give them a chance. They advertise on BN after all ... can't be all bad, right? D:
    If they don't come up with something fast I'm going to search that email and perhaps make a new thread - After getting my money back of course.
    I'll get from Strawberry - they have a Mothers Day special on LL atm - 40% off if anyone's interested.

Have a fragrant day!

Update: 30 hours after acceptance of the 2nd confirmation of payment, they have now informed me that the item is shipped. They did not respond to my concerns in any way other than sending me this automated response. I figure it's the usual one for when a payment is accepted. I have no clue if they even got the above email.
    Having bought this item on Sunday and having it only just shipped now (Saturday) I cannot recommend this site for buying your frags. I'll let you know how long it takes to actually get to me.

Further Update: Still no sign of the frag (after 3 weeks +) but I did manage to finally find a tester bottle of this at a chemist and to my utter delight I had remembered it correctly and fruity is not a word I would ever use to describe it! While it does have a lush and sweet smell to it, the licorice and vanilla is what stands out the most for me. Especially that licorice opening! I love it and now I remember why I ordered it. I just wish I hadn't ordered it from FragranceNet. I can't recommend them in good conscience. Perhaps it's an overseas thing but I'm not impressed that FragranceNet don't value my custom as they might a fellow American's. I bought No.22 from France and got it within a week. But now I'm ranting - over and out!

Final Update (June 25th): I'm utterly crestfallen. FragranceNET did not deliver my perfume nor answer my emails. Not until I got paypal involved that is. Then I got this garbled mess of an email that had a reply to someone else (including this "Eric" person's actual email) but seemed to have my order number correct. They told me that they had sent it twice. IE. "This frag is sent" one week then "this frag is sent" 3 weeks later! That was a big "Uhh what the ..." moment. They eventually told us it was sent back to them (?_?) and that they sent it again. Anyway, eventually they stalled long enough so that I couldn't refund through paypal directly (watch for this people - you've only got 45 days to make a claim) and so had to get my bank involved. It is resolved but I do not have the perfume and I now have negative associations with it and don't want it. I've come to the conclusion that I would rather pay extra for a better shopping experience even if that means I'm extremely limited in what frags I can buy. I CANNOT RECOMMEND FRAGRANCENET TO ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA! Beware.
    Last edited by Kal; 25th June 2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Update on Fragnet