Code of Conduct

Default Yatagan longevity/sillage

Does anyone else have longevity and sillage issues with Yatagan?

I think I have the current formulation:

Default Re: Yatagan longevity/sillage

I sure don't, and in neither the current nor or the previous one.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

What “issues” do you mean? Do you find it weak or short-lived given reviews you’ve read?
    If you read further, I think you’ll find that here on Basenotes, opinion on Yatagan is very widely-varied, from the way it actually smells to longevity and projection/sillage. Some say it’s a wild beast of a frag and unwearable, disgusting even, while others think that it is a subtle and natural-smelling fragrance; light enough to be reapplied during the day. While I think Yatagan does have a definite “oomph” behind it, I lean toward the latter, I don’t ever find it overpowering.
    In any case, it’s one of my favorites!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

The bottle in post is the one I have too. Whether a beast or not, I find Yatagan refreshingly unique. Sillage is not loud, but rather wafts to the wearer (and maybe others, who cares!) thorughout the day; longevity I find to be excellent, but again in a relatively close to the skin way.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy97 View Post
    The bottle in post is the one I have too. Whether a beast or not, I find Yatagan refreshingly unique. Sillage is not loud, but rather wafts to the wearer (and maybe others, who cares!) thorughout the day; longevity I find to be excellent, but again in a relatively close to the skin way.
    My thoughts exactly. I too have the same bottle you have, which I believe is current version. It's not a sillage monster, but is more than adequate. Longevity? I get about 10 to 12 hrs. from it, which is excellent.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I sure don't, and in neither the current nor or the previous one.
    I agree

No issues for me either. One of the best, most versatile and interesting fragrances around IMO.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

None, whatsoever. It may not be a sillage monster, but it is one very long-lasting frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Nope. Not here either.

Seeing as there are many fellow Yatagan lovers answering this thread, has anyone experienced this newer bottle I have recently seen online. The bottle I currently have is that at the beginning of this thread and, although its not the original packaging (or indeed perhaps original formulation), I find this version excellent, one of my all time favourites.

I intend re-stocking and just wondeing if this newer verion, with the black rather than silver cap, is in any way different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy97 View Post
    Seeing as there are many fellow Yatagan lovers answering this thread, has anyone experienced this newer bottle I have recently seen online. The bottle I currently have is that at the beginning of this thread and, although its not the original packaging (or indeed perhaps original formulation), I find this version excellent, one of my all time favourites.

I intend re-stocking and just wondeing if this newer verion, with the black rather than silver cap, is in any way different.
    Isn't this the version of Yatagan released just prior to the current version?

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I never had a longevity/sillage issue with this one

Yatagan is a strange beast. I find that it has quite a sillage on the initial application but that this soon settles down. Its longevity is very good. Its strangeness comes from the change it goes through as it settles down. It is quite shrill at first with its legendary "celery" note and then develops into a lovely warm scent. It behaves as if it was two separate fragrances in one bottle with very little connection between its top notes and base notes.

it wears very close to the body on me but it last for 8 hours, easy.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

YES -- I agree. Both Yatagan and Homme de Caron have major longevity issues. When first sprayed on, they are both quite strong, but after about half an hour, they've completely dissipated. I'm wondering if they've been reformulated to save the company some money?

I thought maybe it was just my nose becoming desensitized after spraying on, so I asked office mates to sniff. No one could smell anything. Those of you who get 10-12 hours must have a much stronger sense of smell than average.

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    Yatagan is a strange beast. I find that it has quite a sillage on the initial application but that this soon settles down. Its longevity is very good. Its strangeness comes from the change it goes through as it settles down. It is quite shrill at first with its legendary "celery" note and then develops into a lovely warm scent. It behaves as if it was two separate fragrances in one bottle with very little connection between its top notes and base notes.
    I agree with joelarner, Yatagan is quite strong after initial application, but after an hour or so, all that is left is the castoreum (which I believe contributes to the leathery celery smell). Sillage is only strong for the first 30 minutes or so. I like Yatagan, but there are many frags I appreciate more.

Excellent longevity - 12 hrs or so full of herbs, spices, woods, forest floor earth, and animalics, all lasting for most of the duration.

With plenty of appropriate sillage putting out a three to five foot radiance.

Big sillage/long distance radiance is generally best for women's fragrances.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th June 2010 at 07:53 PM.

I bought a sample of Yatagan.

This has great longevity and sillage.
    The first time I tested it I couldn't smell it after a short time, but that's simply because it "killed" my nose.
    My advice: don't apply on an arm or another place where your nose can reach close to.
    The top notes will certainly "kill" your nose.

Give it 2 or 3 sprays under a shirt, but please don't sniff it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    . Some say it’s a wild beast of a frag and unwearable, disgusting even, while others think that it is a subtle and natural-smelling fragrance; light enough to be reapplied during the day. While I think Yatagan does have a definite “oomph” behind it, I lean toward the latter, I don’t ever find it overpowering.
    I can't say it any better!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I remember having sillage/longevity issues with it. I might have given it more of a chance if it lated longer - was almost inperceptible on me minutes after applying.