Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I the only one who refuses to wear Aqua Di Gio? Best scent ever but...

I love the scent, one of my top 3, perhaps even the best of all time cologne. But its way too common and i smell it at least 3-5 times a day on my daily commute. If its not guys wearing its girls. Its a shame cause i want to wear it from time to time but just way too common and who wants to smell like all the other guys? not me.

I was at the shop yesterday and so wanted to buy another bottle.
    Last edited by ADGfan; 6th April 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Am I the only one who refuses to wear Aqua Di Gio? Best scent ever but...

I could say the exact same thing about Le Mâle!
    I was never a fan of Acqua di Gio, though. It's
    too fresh for me ... too, well, aqua!

Default Re: Am I the only one who refuses to wear Aqua Di Gio? Best scent ever but...

I don't like it so I don't wear it. I'm not sure that counts as refusal.

Honestly, I very rarely smell what I wear on others. I did smell a woman all done up in glam-rock gear wearing Poison the other day, though, and the pairing couldn't have been more perfect. In that case, smelling something I loved on another made me love it more!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I could say the exact same thing about Le Mâle!
    I was never a fan of Acqua di Gio, though. It's
    too fresh for me ... too, well, aqua!
    I dont like lemale at all, smells like deodorant ...boring!

Best Scent Ever? Hmmmm

I can't wear it. It's too redolent, overpowering.
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

it's ok but too many people wear it. i had a knockoff deodorant spray that smelled just like it and a girl mentioned that her ex used to wear it. awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Best Scent Ever? Hmmmm
    Its been proven by studies that ADG is the one cologne that makes women go crazy. I cant think of anything else that beats it or even matches it.

Precisely the reason why I avoid scents like Le Male, AdG, L'eau D'Issey etc.

I'd rather smell somewhat unique as opposed to every other teenager.

Best scent ever.. yet you can't wear it because everyone else does. Thus making it boring. How can something boring be the best? ADG is just another average cologne, although it may very well be the benchmark in aquatics, it's not even close to breathtaking. Best aquatic ever.. that's debatable. Best scent ever.. your nose must be very premature.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGfan View Post
    I love the scent, one of my top 3, perhaps even the best of all time cologne. But its way too common and i smell it at least 3-5 times a day on my daily commute. If its not guys wearing its girls. Its a shame cause i want to wear it from time to time but just way too common and who wants to smell like all the other guys? not me.
    ADGFan, you're not a alone. I like the smell too, but i think it's very common nowadays. I don't know why, but i feel a similar aura on Les Nuits de Hadrien by Annick Goutal. Have you already tried this one? Maybe you can use it as a substitute for ADG.

I'm going on 51 years of age.....I don't care what other people have on.....I don't care how many people wear it.....If I like it.....I wear it.....I am the one who decides what I'm going to purchase and wear.....I always value my Wife and Her opinion.....She likes Gio.....I like Gio.....Lights out.....games over.....Gary

Its been proven by studies that ADG is the one cologne that makes women go crazy. I cant think of anything else that beats it or even matches it.
    Maybe is because a lot of men doesn't use even deodorant and really stink, so women got condicioned to associating clean smells with sexy guys....

Tru Unbound by Halston.. smells exactly like ADG but with more watermelon in the opening. Just Me by Paris Hilton, if you don't mind the dry down, and I believe there's a Perry Ellis 360 that is similar to ADG.

From what I've smelled of aquatic frags, the problem is that it's difficult to make it subtle (though it can be made weak). There is something about the note (is it calone?) that has a very irritating quality to me. I like the idea of this kind of frag, and I like to think that I'd enjoy Horizon if it didn't have lavender in it, but that note in frags like Unbound for men is just unappealing to me on every level.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 6th April 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Yes, but evidently it doesn't fulfill all your expectations as a seductive fragrance....
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th April 2010 at 02:43 AM.

IMO, AdG is not that bad but it's safe and doesn't work on my skin as most of the aquatic so I'm joining your team.

Acqua di Gio bores me to death. A girl bought if for me in high school. It was boring then, and even more now. Girls love it, though. I guess most girls are boring. Final answer.

AdG is a great scent. I consider myself lucky from this point of view because I live in Romania and people don't wear that much cologne here, so wearing AdG, Cool Water, Le Male, doesn't make me an Average Joe.

AdG is far from my top 10, but I admire it's uniqueness and masculinity, it's becoming a classic no doubt.

...and if you like it.. wear it what the heck.
    Last edited by trapper; 6th April 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

What makes boys go crazy then?------just being curious...jajajaja

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Tru Unbound by Halston.. smells exactly like ADG but with more watermelon in the opening. Just Me by Paris Hilton, if you don't mind the dry down, and I believe there's a Perry Ellis 360 that is similar to ADG.
    Yeah, Perry Ellis 360 Red is a cheaper alternative to ADG. Fortunately, most of my coworkers are women, and only one of the guys at work wears cologne. It's usually Fahrenheit, but he told me he also has ADG, so I avoid ADG at work so we don't end up smelling like twins. Otherwise, it's nice to wear around my wife, since she likes it!

Well ADGFan, you better stock up on extra bottles of ADG.... It is being discontunued at the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I like sexy eyes, long hair, and large backsides.

Sur la Plage

I don't wear it because I don't like, and never did. Nor do I like any fragrance that is a clone/wannabe/more mature/etc. version of it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well ADGFan, you better stock up on extra bottles of ADG.... It is being discontunued at the end of this month.
    Where did you hear that?

Where did you hear that?
    I didn't

Dependent

^ He's joking... It would make no commercial sense to discontinue their "bread-winner" scent...

On topic: No, it's not my favorite (best) scent, but I use it occasionally.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I remember seeing a study once,
    which suggested, that No.5 is the
    smell most men find irresistible!

But I bet you can find a study which
    says otherwise too.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 6th April 2010 at 03:31 AM.

Oh lol, I was googling for a sec, then I figured. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    AdG is a great scent. I consider myself lucky from this point of view because I live in Romania and people don't wear that much cologne here, so wearing AdG, Cool Water, Le Male, doesn't make me an Average Joe.
    Same here hehe. I rarely meet men who uses colognes but everytime I do, I am not like "damn, this guy uses Le Male, ADG, Aqva, (insert cologne from your wardrobe)" but more like "finaly someone who has good taste". Actually I appreciate some of my scents more after I smell them on someone else because its different experience to smell it on different person and sometime I am just jealous because it smells better on them..

definitely not a candidate for the essence of sex.

What studies? Can you link them or provide some reference?
    Or are these 'studies' asking college girls what they prefer out of 3 different colognes?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    What studies? Can you link them or provide some reference?
    Or are these 'studies' asking college girls what they prefer out of 3 different colognes?
    ^^ LOL. I wanted to say something similar but I refrained.

^^ AKA Askmen.com

AdG isn't my thing but I think everyone should wear what he/she likes to smell like for a day. If this very popular stuff sets one's nose on fire in a good way one should wear it and spread the love.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-topic but I just found this and had to post it.

Acqua Di Gioia, First I thought its 1st April joke but apparently it isnt.

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Gior...ioia-1367.html
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/G...ioia-8442.html

LMAO

Don't forget Acqua di Cho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Don't forget Acqua di Cho

Bahahahahahahhaha.

Anyway, I have a small decant of it for sh*ts and giggles. I'd wear it if I was really bored. Which is truly counter productive for it's intended purpose. I used to wear this regularly 10 years ago before I ran out of it and never wore cologne again for another 7 years. Thankfully, I never bought another bottle since I didn't realize how insanely popular it was when I decided to acquire another bottle of cologne again.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    don't forget acqua di cho

fap fap fap

Do we really need this on this board?
    Strikes me that there are plenty of other places on the internet to make these posts.
    I'm not at all the puritan, but I come here to talk about fragrances.

Regarding the OPs post, I think its sort of inflammatory to come into a fragrance board where people are passionate about fragrances and make this post. Some folks here have spent years testing hundreds of fragrances. It's sort of like coming onto a music board and posting that the Beatles (or Radiohead, or Miles Davis, or Mozart, or whomever) are the best band ever. Posting huge generalities and sweepinig praise of any fragrance is less than interesting, but to do it about AdG is near trolling.
    I recommend that if you really like AdG, tell us what you like about it. What notes do you smell? What is it about the fragrance that you enjoy most? The fact that others like it on you or, "chicks dig it" really says nothing about why you like the fragrance.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Is it? Any source? If this is true then ill run out today and get a bottle, maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I'm going on 51 years of age.....I don't care what other people have on.....I don't care how many people wear it.....If I like it.....I wear it.....I am the one who decides what I'm going to purchase and wear.....I always value my Wife and Her opinion.....She likes Gio.....I like Gio.....Lights out.....games over.....Gary
    I like your attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Strikes me that there are plenty of other places on the internet to make these posts.

Regarding the OPs post, I think its sort of inflammatory to come into a fragrance board where people are passionate about fragrances and make this post. Some folks here have spent years testing hundreds of fragrances. It's sort of like coming onto a music board and posting that the Beatles (or Radiohead, or Miles Davis, or Mozart, or whomever) are the best band ever. Posting huge generalities and sweepinig praise of any fragrance is less than interesting, but to do it about AdG is near trolling.
    I recommend that if you really like AdG, tell us what you like about it. What notes do you smell? What is it about the fragrance that you enjoy most? The fact that others like it on you or, "chicks dig it" really says nothing about why you like the fragrance.

-Slim
    You take things way too seriously, relax, breathe in, breathe out, go outside for a walk.

It might be a character defect of mine (one of many) but I've always stayed away from hugely popular things, whether it be bands or authors or, in this case, Aqua di Gio. Even if I did like it, I wouldn't wear it simply because it's so common. I'm a run-of-the-mill middle-class accountant, for goodness sake. I don't need yet another aspect of my life to make me more average than I already am. I derive great pleasure and sense of individuality from seeking out and wearing niche or obscure frags. It's my one glitzy indulgence. More power to all those who enjoy AdG. I don't hold it against ya. To each his own. It's just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post

-Slim
    You are taking things too serious, and you just made a fairly good thread become depressing.

If you're depressed that easily, you take things too seriously.

I have no problem with AdG, don't wear it, but I don't hate it. However, I agree, that the OP might do well to consider his audience with this and other questions he has posed in his short time as a member.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post

I have no problem with AdG, don't wear it, but I don't hate it. However, I agree, that the OP might do well to consider his audience with this and other questions he has posed in his short time as a member.

Regards,
    T
    Plus one.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post

Regards,
    T
    I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to decipher the difference between being depressed, and a "depressing thread"

I don't think it's fair how some of you supporters stereotype noobs based on how they type. This is an open forum, open to the public.. anybody can use it.

I think as a community we should be open to all new basenoters, and let them see whether or not basenotes is the right environment for them.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 6th April 2010 at 05:28 PM.

all this talk is making me want to buy a bottle!!
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Back to what was said about it being discontinued. Is this true? Why would they discontinue such a productive cash cow like AdG?

ADG is very far from being one of the best fragrances ever.

I have at least 10 fragrances that I think are just OK that I like better than ADG. And it's not because it is so popular, I didn't like it that much from the beginning.

And that's why the enjoyment of fragrances is so subjective. One person's 'Holy Grail' is another persons 'scrubber'.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Easy, big fella. I didn't stereotype anyone. I responded directly to this individual's post. You, on the other hand, have leapt from my individual response to a generalization about how "some of you supporters" treat noobs. If you want to engage in a semantics discussion regarding the words depressing and depressed, we can do that, but I think you're using that as a distraction from the fact that you didn't use the word you wanted to use earlier, which was probably not depressing. Pedantic, maybe? Moralizing? I don't know. I do know that depressing implies that something is making you sad or discouraged, and no Internet forum thread has ever had that emotional weight in my life. At any rate, I did not base my comments regarding ADGFan on how he "types" (much like I didn't make a comment about you typing "serious" when you meant "seriously"). I made a comment regarding the fact that he doesn't seem to know his audience, and that he is making sweeping generalizations and broad statements. He should expect some response to that.
    You are quite right that this is an open forum, and I would think any response to ADG, especially from longtime members (not me: I'm no graybeard here, and I don't have nearly the experience with frags or forum contribution that many others do), would help ADGFan decide if this is the right environment for him. Also, though this is an open forum, not just anyone can use it. People have been banned, and often, for failing to adhere to basic decorum and forum policies. While I'm not personally offended by anything ADGFan has posted, some might be, and further, continuing to post the same types of things over and over again (including 3 threads started in mere hours regarding female attraction to AdG as a fragrance) will grate on members and make them more likely to be offended by seemingly little things.
    I hope ADGFan sticks it out. I hope everyone who joins does, and that each member here has his or her life enriched by the people and fragrances (s)he encounters. And now that this thread has (appropriately) been moved to the Just Starting Out forum, the added lens of remembering that ADGFan is a newcomer may help people respond positively to him, provided there's something to respond to.

Regards,
    T

I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to decipher the difference between being depressed, and a "depressing thread"

I don't think it's fair how some of you supporters stereotype noobs based on how they type. This is an open forum, open to the public.. anybody can use it.

I think as a community we should be open to all new basenoters, and let them see whether or not basenotes is the right environment for them.

I love smelling AdG on other people. I don't want to smell of it though.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'd like to point out to some of the more senior members that this forum is called 'Just Starting Out' so please, take a chill pill...on the house, of course.

Back to the thread, I always had to stifle a chuckle whenever someone mentions "best ever (something)". It seems premature. And the logical question I'd think of is,"Why? Are you on the verge of dying? That there won't be anything (new) left to experience in the near future?"
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 7th April 2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I'd like to point out to some of the more senior members that this forum is called 'Just Starting Out' so please, take a chill pill...on the house, of course.
    Probably everyone needs to take a chill pill, but most of the crossfire was before this thread was moved to Just Starting Out. It was in Men's Fragrance Discussion for most of these posts.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I like sexy eyes, long hair, and large backsides.
    you sure you aren't psychic?

im off work in half hour and gonna buy a 100ml bottle. Discontinued or not i need a bottle and been madly craving it for the past week non stop. I wont wear it alone, but ill combo it with perhaps my rochas man. oooooooo

Rochas man smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN GOOD but it doesnt last on me at all.

im off work in half hour and gonna buy a 100ml bottle. Discontinued or not i need a bottle and been madly craving it for the past week non stop. I wont wear it alone, but ill combo it with perhaps my rochas man. oooooooo

Rochas man smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN GOOD but it doesnt last on me at all.
    After reading the "overstockperfume" thread, I'm starting to think everyone is a 'shill'....
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

ADG is a great scent. My bottle ran out and that's what started my search for a new fragrance. I am new to collecting but so far I really like eau fraiche and versace poure homme.

Versace pour Homme is my AdG substitute. It's still light and summery, but more oriental and less generically aquatic.