Code of Conduct

Default New guy with a few questons.

Hey guys, im kinda new to the fragrance world so you'll have to bear with me. I've been doing reasearch for weeks now but couldn't find much on what I was looking for. I'm a guy but I enjoy florals/fruit colognes or perfumes. I've been looking and looking for an EDT that is either both or just floral but only found a few. Also something with pretty good longetivity and silliage.

I was wondering if you guys could recomend a few mens floral fragrances. I prefer it to be more on the manly side but I will wear a womens fragrance, as I do enjoy theres more then what I wear. I've found a few such as Dior homme, Le male, and possibly Prada amber? I heard these were slightly feminine. Every site I visit says that each fragrance is different then the other sites. Fragrancenet says that Prada is flowery while perfume.net says its a woody oreintal, and since im new I dont really know much, sorry.

Anyway, my second question is if anyone could reomend a similar fragrance to Tommy girl 10? My girlfriend wears it and it smells pretty good. It's mostly fruit with some floral middle/base notes I think. I was on Fragrantica and using the notes from Tommy girl 10 and trying to find a cologne with similar notes but it didnt work out to well.

I understand this may have been asked a lot before but I tried searching(probably not well enough) and could not find much of anything. But yeah, thanks for reading.

Default Re: New guy with a few questons.

Welcome to the site!

My favourite floral/fruit combo at the moment is Sonoma Scent Studio's Wood Violet. It's listed here on BN as a female fragrance, but it's listed as unisex on the SSS website. It's very floral and rather plumy, with a a warm woody base. Really nice and relatively cheap!

Secondly, I'd recommend Annick Goutal's Eau de Charlotte to your girlfriend!

Happy hunting!

Le Male isn't very floral, it's more of a gourmand (sweet and sugary) like fragrance. If you want something extremely long lasting and you like rose, Noir De Noir by Tom Ford is very good. It can be worn by a man or woman.. powerful, excellent sillage and longevity, but it is an EDP. You're looking for a floral EDT that is long lasting. That said.. you have few options really, but that all depends on what you consider to be long lasting. To some it may be 4-6 hours while to others it may be 10+. With an EDT you're probably not gonna get 10+ hours unless you go with a gourmand like Le Male.

You're gonna get a lot of opinions, but you really should never let somebody elses nose choose for you. As far as my input on floral EDT's.. There's Dunhill Pure, Paris Hilton for Men -- this one is debatable on whether or not it's a floral or aquatic. It starts off with cucumber and watermelon with a lot of floral notes underneath it all (at least to my nose) I'd consider it a floral/aquatic/fruity fragrance. Then there's Hang Ten California which is rather silly, and of course we have Green Irish Tweed.. but this is a perfume, not a toilette.

OneTwoThree, just let this thread sit for a few more hours, and I promise you will get at least 50 posts.

I think you need to clarify, however, how much you're willing (or not willing) to spend, and how hard you're willing to search online for the scent you want, because you're likely to get 50 exhaustive lists of some VERY expensive and often hard to find niche fragrances.

If you want to keep it simple and within the $50 range, try out Insense by Givenchy, which is a woody floral scent and is just great. It has very good longevity and radiance. You may have to dig a bit online because stocks run out quickly, and I don't know for sure if it's been discontinued, but I have seen it available online. It is worth the effort.

Another good floral masculine I like is Stetson, a drugstore cheapie. I think it's a great dry floral and very masculine smelling.

As for niche scents, I'll let others advise you on those, as I'm not as familiar with niche florals.

the only Floral Masculine that I enjoy (or one of the few) is Antaeus by Chanel
    there are other things going on though such as beeswax and leather
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by OneTwoThree View Post
    Hey guys, im kinda new to the fragrance world so you'll have to bear with me. I've been doing reasearch for weeks now but couldn't find much on what I was looking for. I'm a guy but I enjoy florals/fruit colognes or perfumes. I've been looking and looking for an EDT that is either both or just floral but only found a few. Also something with pretty good longetivity and silliage.

I was wondering if you guys could recomend a few mens floral fragrances. I prefer it to be more on the manly side but I will wear a womens fragrance, as I do enjoy theres more then what I wear. I've found a few such as Dior homme, Le male, and possibly Prada amber? I heard these were slightly feminine. Every site I visit says that each fragrance is different then the other sites. Fragrancenet says that Prada is flowery while perfume.net says its a woody oreintal, and since im new I dont really know much, sorry.

Anyway, my second question is if anyone could reomend a similar fragrance to Tommy girl 10? My girlfriend wears it and it smells pretty good. It's mostly fruit with some floral middle/base notes I think. I was on Fragrantica and using the notes from Tommy girl 10 and trying to find a cologne with similar notes but it didnt work out to well.

I understand this may have been asked a lot before but I tried searching(probably not well enough) and could not find much of anything. But yeah, thanks for reading.
    Welcome! First advice: Sample, sample and sample! And let the alcohol dry down before you buy!

Masculine florals I enjoy: Caron Le Troisieme Homme and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Jardin du Nil. Don't be afraid to try scents labelled for "women," as many scents can be worn by either sex.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th April 2010 at 06:16 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Also OneTwoThree: give us a bit more background to help steer the kind of scents you might like. We don't need a lengthy resume, but are you:

younger guy?
    mature guy?
    is the fragrance you're looking for work, or play, or both.
    Are you a student? Some budget idea too as Shamu said.

We can suggest scents all day and all night, but some will be very expensive.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th April 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    OneTwoThree, just let this thread sit for a few more hours, and I promise you will get at least 50 posts.

I think you need to clarify, however, how much you're willing (or not willing) to spend, and how hard you're willing to search online for the scent you want, because you're likely to get 50 exhaustive lists of some VERY expensive and often hard to find niche fragrances.

If you want to keep it simple and within the $50 range, try out Insense by Givenchy, which is a woody floral scent and is just great. It has very good longevity and radiance. You may have to dig a bit online because stocks run out quickly, and I don't know for sure if it's been discontinued, but I have seen it available online. It is worth the effort.

Another good floral masculine I like is Stetson, a drugstore cheapie. I think it's a great dry floral and very masculine smelling.

As for niche scents, I'll let others advise you on those, as I'm not as familiar with niche florals.
    Good advice here, especially on Insense. Another I think you might check out for a wonderful violet note is Grey Flannel, which has recently been talked about here. Oldie and fantastic. If you can find some Fendi Life Essence you might also be pleased--I think it's a lot of lily of the valley on top of a woody base.

Good luck!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

+1 for Insense.

Kenzo Power is another one.

I reckon "Unbound" was VERY inexpensive, and has nice, adorable floral notes. The longevity wasn't best, but for the price, it's such a bargain!

Flowers:
    Geoffrey Beene - Grey Flannel, one of the most masculine (flowery, i.e. violets) fragrances.
    Ungaro - Ungaro III, the smell of dark roses.

Fruit:
    Creed - Millisme Imperiale
    Chanel - Coco Mademoiselle
    Knize Ten !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome to BaseNotes, OneTwoThree.

You may also look into:

Fleur de Male - JPG
    Annucci Man
    Zino Davidoff
    Dunhill 1934
    Ungaro III
    C&S No 88
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Grey Flannel - Geoffrey Beene
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'll just say Welcome since so many have already given You so many to hunt!!!
    Gary

Sounds like you need to sample a lot at this point. It's really difficult to give suggestions with such general questions. For example, do you consider lavender to be a floral note? And even if we could provide suggestions that you like now, you might not like the frags a month from now (that's what happened to me). Instead, I suggest you either get bottles of several good "cheapos" or buy a bunch of samples. Some stores, like Sephora, will make up a couple of samples for you and it won't cost you anything, so that could be the best place to start, if one is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For example, do you consider lavender to be a floral note?
    I don't understand classing lavender as a floral note, but if Michael Edwards does it, so do I!

Hey OneTwoThree, keep in mind.. these suggestions are all very very very different. Grey Flannel is NOTHING like Fleur de Male in any way. Both floral, but you may wanna specify what type of floral you are looking for. To me, when I think floral.. I think Fleur de Male and not Grey Flannel. Judging by your OP, I think Fleur de Male would suit you better as well. Grey Flannel is very very masculine as stated. If you could specify more what you're looking for, not necessarily the notes (if you don't know them) but rather.. the aroma itself. Do you like roses? Do you want maybe a more citrusy smelling flower like lantana blossom or some of the other blossoms or verbenas. Or maybe you're looking for a more sweet floral? The more specific you can be, the more we can cater to your needs. I enjoy helping.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    +1 for Insense.

Kenzo Power is another one.
    +1 for Power too, I forgot about this one. Set Sail South Seas by Tommy Bahama smells the exact same too but a slightly more powerful opening and a very nice rum note. Both of these smell like fruit loops!

+ 1 for a visit to Sephora if you live close to one. Free samples!

Whatever fragrances you decide to check out, test them first. Then pick your favorite and test it for a few days to make sure it works for you.

In answer to question #2: I can suggest one mainstream frag: CK Euphoria Intense (for men). I sampled it a few times and got: very fruity and floral. There is a gourmand base that begins to peek out after half an hour. The base keeps it on the masculine side of unisex. I can't remember exactly how long it lasted (5-6 hrs+?), but it kept going, and going, and going... You can probably find and test it at Macy's, etc.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 7th April 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: clarification
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Welcome on board!

Go with Midnight Poison. It's quite masculine,
    and can easily be woren by a man.
    It has a very prominant dark rose smell to it.
    It's quite good, and since it's an Eau de Parfum,
    it'll last you long with great sillage. 2 sprays are
    quite enough for a whole days delight.

Try it out ... I dare you!

Yeah, the only one I know of is Grey Flannel. Not too big on floral smells myself.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Welcome to BN as well!

Dependent

Hi!

I believe the first "Manly Floral" that caught my attention was Aramis 900. Mature (OK.... old school), animalic rose scent. Hope this helps!

*Welcome to BN*
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th April 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Ahh Aramis 900. Interesting suggestion!

If you like rose as the prominent floral in a men's fragrance, try Twill Rose by Parfums des Rosine.