Code of Conduct

Question Guerlain: Eau de Verveine. Anyone?

This appears to be a rather rare Guerlain perfume as information on the net is rather scant.
    I've learned it was created in 1872(ish) by Aimé Guerlain, and have found 2 resources on the net with regard to its bottle: first packaged in the oblong "carré" bottle, and later in the Napoleonic bee bottle.
    There just seems to be very little reference to it out there....

Has anyone ever tried this perfume, and if yes, I would appreciate your comments/opinions.

Thanks
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 8th April 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Guerlain: Eau de Verveine

Dimitri, have you thught of PMing kumquat on this as she has extensive knowledge of history and bottles?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Dimitri, have you thught of PMing kumquat on this as she has extensive knowledge of history and bottles?
    Do you feel kumquat might have tried this one Primrose?

Not a peep?

I have a bottle of Eau de Verveine en route to me, and as there is very little about this on the web, I had hoped someone may be able to offer some insights. Perhaps you, moon_fish?

Last call?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guerlain: Eau de Verveine. Anyone?

Dimitri; I appears that you have obtained yet another jewel from Guerlain. I wonder if I could prevail upon you to give us the notes and, when it arrives, give us your critique? This plea comes from an addicted Guerlain devotee.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 8th April 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Most definitely N_Tesla. I am very excited also, and will be sure to describe it in the best way possible.
    Guerlain never ceases to amaze with its vast back-catalogue of obscure and virtually unheard-of scents.

Basenotes Institution

Congrat's D. Have you emailed helg @ Perfume Shrine about it? She knows and has smelled so many vintage Guerlains...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Congrat's D. Have you emailed helg @ Perfume Shrine about it? She knows and has smelled so many vintage Guerlains...
    Ah! great idea Mike. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Do you feel kumquat might have tried this one Primrose?
    Dimitri, I know she is an authority on history and expert on questions on vintage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks Primrose.
    Mike, Elena was indeed a very big help, particularly in identifying bottles and their ages etc. As yet however, no response as to the smell.
    One Russian blog (and in fact the only review I've found) called it "clove and poo" (?!), though admittedly that was what "google translate" threw back at me when I translated the Russian cyrillic!

I am tracking my bottle and it should be here in a day or two. Can't wait to sniff, as generally I love the smell of verbena.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 12th April 2010 at 07:06 PM.

Might be best to contact perfume historian Octavian of the 1000fragrances blog.
    -

Thanks zztopp - another fine idea, though I feel I am rather close now to formulating my own opinion. I will be sure to post again when I've come to get to know it.

The Eau de Verveine arrived a short while ago. It is a 75ml EDT from the early 80s, as the stamp on the box suggests.
    I have sprayed some of this and my impressions are all very initial right now, but first thoughts:
    Lime, Bergamot, Verbena, perhaps White pepper (?)... then some 15 - 20 minutes later: maybe a prickle of clove, and then a "poopy" accord, MUCH akin to that found in Jicky! It continues to evolve from something sparkling and green/citrussy to something darker and more "old school" in style.

Of course I will report back here as I come to get to know this one better.

It sounds absolutely intriguing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Verbena and lime over a Jicky base--wow!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric