Code of Conduct

Default Black Aoud and the most unexpected compliment

The other day I was in the Athens subway wearing BA, two spritzes on the chest (light ones) and one tiny one on each wrist. It was a a rather slow day, Saturday afternoon and the Athens subway is one of the cleanest subways you have ever seen: no smoking, drinking and eating aloud and people keep this really clean. Nothing like the Paris subway were they used to use a hideous rose scented detergent to cover up the smell of urine.
    A family gets on my car and a little boy of around 12 says immediately: Oh it smells good in here! I believe he was referring to my BA because there were very few people on the car and there was no other smell I could detect in there. When I got off the train I met a friend who doesn't really care much about perfume and I received a compliment from him too. By the way BA smells beautiful in spring. Sort of blends nicely with the cool air the smell of bitter orange blossoms that floods the streets of Athens this time of the year. For the life of me I cannot understand why they named this "Black". It is one of the brightest, most glorious scents anyone could wear.
    I remember a thread where someone was asking if BA is s a scent that is easily accepted by people who smell it. Well, it definitely is!
    Last edited by cpk; 6th April 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Black Aoud and the most unexpected compliment

Oh yes. The Compliment Whore scent, even more so than Rive Gauche Pour Homme. I've received so many compliments from strangers, wearing this, I can't even remember them all.

I was sitting at the table, eating dinner at a birthday party, with a large group (the table probably had 25 people in it). People arrived late, there was no food on the table yet...just table settings and votive candles. A woman walked up to the table and asked what scent the candles were, because 'they smelled fantastic'. The candles were unscented. The candles were, however, sitting in front of ME, wearing a liberal application of Black Aoud. I laughed inwardly.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    A family gets on my car and a little boy of around 12 says immediately: Oh it smells good in here! I believe he was referring to my BA because there were very few people on the car and there was no other smell
    Kids say it how it really is, they don't care if they upset anyone! Must really smell damn nice, can't wait for my sample to arrive

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh yes. The Compliment Whore scent
    Second that from me. Fun story - the fiance's friend loved it so much on me every time I wore it that she insisted on knowing what it was and bought it from luckyscent for herself. She wore it to her engagement dinner this past weekend and I complimented her. What goes around
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Ahh yes!
    wonderful scent
    I couldn't wear in on college campus as I was afraid I might cause some allergic reactions
    one of my favorite scents
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I love it too , great stuff isnt it

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand why they named this "Black". It is one of the brightest, most glorious scents anyone could wear.
    So true.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

how much different is it than C&S #88 because that didn't impress me in the least? thanks

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    how much different is it than C&S #88 because that didn't impress me in the least? thanks
    No. 88 and Black Aoud both have rose. That is all that is similar about them.

#88 is a good although a little sombre rose scent. Rose often tends to be a little gloomy.
    BA has a beautiful development, it never feels gloomy or "romantic" and at a point it just reminds me of the smell that escapes a florist's refrigerator as on opens the door. As for the "black" determination, If I have to think of a colour it would have to be a bright but natural pink.
    Last edited by cpk; 7th April 2010 at 11:21 AM.

I got my long awaited sample of this today. It's the weirdest thing I've smelled so far on my quest for the Holy Grail! I can imagine that over-applying this stuff could hospitalise people! Having said that, in small doses, wafted in front of my face, it's really very pleasant. I'm seriously considering buying a bottle!

One of Montale's best IMO.

Almost every time I wear this I get asked about it. Truly beautiful. I was a little afraid of it at first but I wear it in all seasons now. Much more versatile than I first allowed it to be!

I will say it again , Montale really need to get a UK stockist sorted out

Sur la Plage

I have received many compliments when wearing this fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I get compliments from Black Aoud like nothing else in my collection. Even complete strangers.

Blog Entries

I have a love/hate relationship with Montale. Black Aoud is one of the most beautiful fragrances out there. The "brooding rose" is exquisite! I also love Dark Aoud, Louban, Aoud Leather, and Cuir d'Arabie. BUT some of the foulest frags I have smelled came from Montale...Leather and Lime, (now out of production thank goodness) Bois Aoud also called Original Oud (smells exactly like a urinal cake deodorizer), and others. Seems they either hit a home-run or strike out...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Last time anyone said anything to me when I was wearing black aoud they said "you smell bug spray?" was from a female neighbor!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I have received many compliments when wearing this fragrance.
    Me too.

The other day I went to the zoo. I sprayed Black Aoud and I was raped by a monkey. It was the most unexpected compliment ever.

How many sprays and where are you guys applying.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2