Code of Conduct

Default Buying unopened, boxed vintage perfume

How risky do you think this is? What are your experiences buying unopened, factory sealed vintages?

Am I going to make a terrible mistake if I do it? Ack!
    Last edited by latelittlesleeper; 6th April 2010 at 11:12 PM.

Default Re: Buying unopened vintage perfume

I have personally found that unopened vintage perfumes that do not appear to have suffered from evaporation usually maintain their perfume a lot more than those where levels are considerably lower.

Its always a bit hit and miss with vintage stuff, but of the perhaps 10 or 15 vintage (30+ years) perfumes Ive purchased, only one was hideously rancid, and another had spoiled topnotes. Fortunately, my extraits have all been picture perfect.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th April 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Unopened, factory sealed vintage is the way to go! A bit of evaporation is possible, but the risk of oxidation is much lower when it's sealed. Of course there is no guarantee with any vintage bottle, but what your talking about is the cream of the crop of old stock, and the risk is minimal, especially if you already know you love the fragrance. I say go for it - what did you find??

I've never had a single problem with a bottle of new-old-stock, and that accounts for a great deal of my wardrobe. Every bottle has been perfect and exactly what I'd expected and/or remembered.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th April 2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: more info

Dimitri, I think I was too vague! I meant unopened perfume as...still in its box, wrapped. I'm so worried this thing I'm buying (I should say) is going to show up at my house broken in its box. OR completely evaporated inside.

Evangeline, haha, this is so SILLY. But I haven't won the auction quite yet, so I'm afraid to link to it! I don't think I could afford to go any higher, so more competition would be terrible. I almost always buy vintages that I can at least SEE and judge the quality. But this one is a favorite of mine and if it's pristine (I am hoping!), it will be much loved.
    Last edited by latelittlesleeper; 6th April 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Buying unopened, boxed vintage perfume

Your concerns are very valid. I have purchased vintage Lanvin extraits sealed in their paper-wrapped boxes. Out of three, one was completely evaporated except for a few dregs in the corners. One had evaporated so that only about 25% of a dark goo remained. Only one was perfect and pristine. The offset in what I paid for all three did not justify the one perfect bottle.

Now I only ever buy them if I can see the bottles, unless the cost is so low that I don't mind the risk. Things have turned out better, since...

Well, now theres another small risk... depending on the perfume in question, you may very well reveal an almost-empty bottle inside.
    Vintage perfumes with ground glass stoppers generally tend to evaporate more than ones with plastic seals or atomisers.
    You probably have an idea of what the bottle inside is supposed to look like, so you might have an idea of the risk. Total evaporation is hardly heard of in instances where the box is still cello-wrapped though.

But let me put it this way, I think the thrill of finding a perfectly-preserved gem inside that packaging far outweighs the risks... as long as you have the money to spare to spend in the first place.

When the auction is over, please keep us informed! I am also curious!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th April 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Asha, the horrors! The bottle I'm buying is not very expensive, but I am afraid I've already given my hopes up! I would love a pristine bottle of this scent and have always promised myself I'd grab one, no matter what the cost, if I saw it on ebay. So now I am going for it and I am DYING at the possibility of getting this chance and then opening a box with an evaporated bottle in it. With all the problems in the world, it's foolish...but I know I'll cry!

Dimitri! Thank you. I think...I could be very pleased with a partially evaporated bottle. That won't be so terrible! I imagine if it was shattered in there, the seller would have noticed and hopefully not tried to sell it!

If I win, I'll definitely tell-all! If I don't, I might be moping for a while though. Perfume is such an emotional rollercoaster sometimes!

Oh, well that's completely understandable - you should keep it to yourself! And again, that is the best case scenario when buying vintage especially off eBay! Another thing I hadn't mentioned is that the risk of the juice being tampered with goes down drastically, a common worry when bidding in an online auction (as opposed to in person where you can at least hold it on your hands and examine the box.) There's really no reason why it shouldn't be pristine, so don't be too worried about that. Your heart will be pounding the last minute or so - remember to breathe, and good luck!

eta - Yikes - I supose you should be a bit concerned by the sound of Asha's and Dimitri's experiences, but my experiences have all been positive. I guess I've been lucky!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th April 2010 at 11:32 PM.

A little advice to the eBayers who are also addicted to scent: Find yourself a snipe site (I use eSnipe) and set your ABSOLUTE high limit, place the snipe bid, and forget about it. You will be tempted to fiddle with it, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the results (when you just bid and forget). Lost several, won several others. And you can be budget conscious at the same time... as the temptation to go higher and higher when you really can't afford it is too great when you watch and try to outbid live.

(it's probably saved me enough to buy six or seven other FBs of stuff I am sure about)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 6th April 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

It can be hit or miss. I managed to get a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille 1960 incredibly cheap, the gold wire was intact and a tiny bit of evaporation. Now I admit the top notes are a little fainter but the rest is perfect. The other week I did buy Femme Rocahas from the early 1980's it was edp version and had been used about 10mls missing from the 100mls. It is perfect as well.

Now someone yesterday posted about Vol de Nuit and it had gone unfortunately. I remember reading before sadly it is one of those fragrances where trying to find vintage is a big problem, as it is famous for turning quickly even like 10 years.

So all I can say you pays your money and takes your chance.
    DONNA

I can offer no experiences but I sure hope that you end up winning your bid for the vintage perfume. I can tell you really want this one badly and hope it is perfect Wish you well.

Blog Entries

I once bought a bottle that had leaked. It was empty. I sent the seller a photo & my $ was refunded no problem.

In general, it is nice to see the unopened bottle before bidding. If there is evaporation, sometimes a few drops of Everclear (pure alcohol) can spruce it right up.

Basenotes Plus

Good luck - hope you're happy - I have bought some old (early 1970's) ones recently (before deciding to mostly abandon Western scents) and found that they were perfectly fine - sellers had mostly opened the packs to check levels 'though, so they were no longer sealed when they arrived, except for a couple where they had multiple old stock.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    A little advice to the eBayers who are also addicted to scent: Find yourself a snipe site (I use eSnipe) and set your ABSOLUTE high limit, place the snipe bid, and forget about it. You will be tempted to fiddle with it, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the results (when you just bid and forget). Lost several, won several others. And you can be budget conscious at the same time... as the temptation to go higher and higher when you really can't afford it is too great when you watch and try to outbid live.

(it's probably saved me enough to buy six or seven other FBs of stuff I am sure about)
    After losing the last few times to a sniper, this is EXACTLY what I plan to do.