Code of Conduct

Thread: Black and Mild

Default Black and Mild

Is there a men's cologne that simulates the smell of a vanilla black and mild cigar? Something on the lighter or sweeter side opposed to a hard tobacco smell?

I don't smoke, but that smell is quite intoxicating especially compared to the typical fruity/aquatic scents that I normally love.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Black and Mild

What a great question? I happen to love that smell...and honestly, I never thought of researching a fragrance that smells that way. Hmm....lemme think...

First thing that popped to mind was Santa Maria Novella's Tobacco Toscano. Lots of vanilla, very mild tobacco note.

I've heard good things about L'Artisan Havana Vanille, but have yet to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    First thing that popped to mind was Santa Maria Novella's Tobacco Toscano. Lots of vanilla, very mild tobacco note.

I've heard good things about L'Artisan Havana Vanille, but have yet to try it.
    They both sound interesting! What kinds of prices are we looking at for these?
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Well I would say Tobacco Vanille from TF's Private Collection is your answer, but A. this is a perfume, and B. it has a strong tobacco note. But to my nose it smells like a vanilla cigar.

The "Vanilla" many associate with scented tobacco/pipe-tobacco is predominantly Coumarin, a crystalline resin secretion from the tonka bean, and to a lesser degree in newer formulas, ethyl maltol, and ethyl vanillin.

any coumarin/tonka heavy scent will give you a similar scent, with a slight "sweetened pipe tobacco" feel [see dreamer/london/bogart ph], but the most similar imo to that particular type of pipe tobacco used in classic middleton's black-n-milds [I had lots of experience hollowing them out in HS ] would be:

Black Cavendish from TGQ, which is sweet, but also with plenty of the acrid bitterness of the dried tobacco leaf inside, not just the very flavorful/sweetened outside wrap of a black-n-mild.

Black Cavendish is the closest to the smell of the black-n-mild.

As for the smell of the filler tobacco in many sweetened cigars, (phillie guts), without the wrapper:
    I think Odori's Tabacco comes closest to delivering this scent and dried texture.

Other slightly sweeter varieties similar to all the different sweetened "flanker black-n-milds", especially when they are fresh and moist are:
    Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille
    Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille
    Sonoma Tabac Aurea
    Demeter Whiskey Tobacco (highly recommended for Mitsouko lovers seeking a sweet pipe tobacco)

the tom ford features a very "clove cigarette" topnote, and the other 3 feature boozy topnotes, but all 4 are worthy "sweetened cigar/pipe tobacco" scents imo, and all sweeter than the TGQ Black Cavendish, but all also sweeter than either the vanilla black-n-milds, & classic black-n-milds.

Other less worthwhile samples(imo) that fit somewhere in the middle between sweetened cigars/pipe tobacco, and the rough, dried filler tobacco in sweetened cigars, are:
    Demeter pipe Tobacco / this is not a pipe
    Ava Luxe sweet tobacco
    All the CB IHate perfume tobaccos
    Last edited by DULLAH; 9th April 2010 at 08:49 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

You could try Burberry London
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

I'm not sure if this is mild or very vanilla-centric, but Fumerie Turque is a rather smoky amber. Sweet and spiced too! I definitely get vanilla in there, but not the overly creamy or gourmand-y kind.

+1 Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Vanilla-centric with light doses of smoke, woods, and booze.

If you don't mind some tea, Tea For Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur is a light, warm, cozy blend of black tea (lapsang souchong), vanilla (giving a creamy texture), and smoke. Sweetened by some honey and ginger.
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th April 2010 at 09:52 AM.

Cuba Gold

Habanita, Burberry London, Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea--all good sweet tobacco/amber scents
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Cuba Gold

That's like saying Le Male smells like a vanilla Black & Mild.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 9th April 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Ok, read through these and read some reviews of colognes mentioned here. Tobacco Vanille and Tobacco Toscano seem like the two best options, they sound exactly what I'm looking for. Then I realized that both of these are sold for well over $100. This made me quite sad.

Is there any cheaper alternatives?

Killian Back to Black, comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Ok, read through these and read some reviews of colognes mentioned here. Tobacco Vanille and Tobacco Toscano seem like the two best options, they sound exactly what I'm looking for. Then I realized that both of these are sold for well over $100. This made me quite sad.

Is there any cheaper alternatives?
    I wore Tobacco Vanille earlier and it's really not that good. While the scent itself is pretty good, it's just simply too strong for a conventional cologne wearer like myself. Tom Ford's private collection has some super potent stuff that I just simply cannot wear.. in any applications. Judging by past conversations and threads, and you wardrobe which you've spoken of in threads -- not only is Tom Ford high priced but it may just be too strong for you as well. I have no shame in being a cologne wearer, it suits me just fine; while I haven't tested/owned many perfumes.. I've noticed the formulation of them to be very heavy with the exception of a few from the Creed house and Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford. Off topic though.. Since I feel sort of "bored" with colognes though.. I would in fact like to get into the world of perfumes, but it can take a serious toll on ones wallet.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 11th April 2010 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I wore Tobacco Vanille earlier and it's really not that good. While the scent itself is pretty good, it's just simply too strong for a conventional cologne wearer like myself. Tom Ford's private collection has some super potent stuff that I just simply cannot wear.. in any applications. Judging by past conversations and threads, and you wardrobe which you've spoken of in threads -- not only is Tom Ford high priced but it may just be too strong for you as well. I have no shame in being a cologne wearer, it suits me just fine; while I haven't tested/owned many perfumes.. I've noticed the formulation of them to be very heavy with the exception of a few from the Creed house and Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford. Off topic though.. Since I feel sort of "bored" with colognes though.. I would in fact like to get into the world of perfumes, but it can take a serious toll on ones wallet.
    Yeah, you are right. Strong fragrances are very often too much for me to handle. If it is super potent, it could likely give me a headache.

How did you try it? Was it at a store? Do you know of anything else that would be a good tobacco vanilla combination that you have tried?

Yeah, you are right. Strong fragrances are very often too much for me to handle. If it is super potent, it could likely give me a headache.

How did you try it? Was it at a store? Do you know of anything else that would be a good tobacco vanilla combination that you have tried?
    I emailed Tom Ford and said I had worn one of their fragrances for the past 2 years and would like to try one of their other offerings, and told them what I wanted to sample. They give generous 4 ml samples out, but I will say that they are picky about who they send to and who's email they reply to. As for tobacco and vanilla, The Dreamer may be a possibility, but I'm not sure I recall much vanilla in it, I think it focuses more on the sweet tobacco. Cristobal PH which is on my test list has both vanilla and tobacco in the base, but several other ingredients mangled in there, so i doubt it smells this way. What would really be ideal would be a lighter version of Tobacco Vanille, possibly in an EDT, that'd be sweet

I emailed Tom Ford and said I had worn one of their fragrances for the past 2 years and would like to try one of their other offerings, and told them what I wanted to sample. They give generous 4 ml samples out, but I will say that they are picky about who they send to and who's email they reply to. As for tobacco and vanilla, The Dreamer may be a possibility, but I'm not sure I recall much vanilla in it, I think it focuses more on the sweet tobacco. Cristobal PH which is on my test list has both vanilla and tobacco in the base, but several other ingredients mangled in there, so i doubt it smells this way. What would really be ideal would be a lighter version of Tobacco Vanille, possibly in an EDT, that'd be sweet
    What email address did you use? Also, any tips on what to say in the email?

Temperament by Franck Olivier is a much cheaper alternative IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Temperament by Franck Olivier is a much cheaper alternative IMO.

I can't seem to find this one.

What email address did you use? Also, any tips on what to say in the email?
    Go to the tom Ford site and email them through there, this way it looks as if you were browsing the site.. rather than emailing them directly. Look for their contact information through the site, it isn't hard. Then when messaging them -- just try to sound as convincing as possible. When Tom Ford sends out samples they do so in a personal manner, they address the package to you written in permanent marker with a letter enclosed specifically for you, as well as 5 stamps on the envelope which just tells me that they are not a major supplier of samples. What I did was said that I've been wearing one of their fragrances for nearly 2 years and was on my 4th bottle, and would like to try some of their other offerings. When they hear "4th bottle" in their mind, they're going to think you've forked out a bit of money on their line. It's doubtful that they will think you are lying because they're not thinking the way you and I are. Sometimes it's ok to lie to get a freebie

Go to the tom Ford site and email them through there, this way it looks as if you were browsing the site.. rather than emailing them directly. Look for their contact information through the site, it isn't hard. Then when messaging them -- just try to sound as convincing as possible. When Tom Ford sends out samples they do so in a personal manner, they address the package to you written in permanent marker with a letter enclosed specifically for you, as well as 5 stamps on the envelope which just tells me that they are not a major supplier of samples. What I did was said that I've been wearing one of their fragrances for nearly 2 years and was on my 4th bottle, and would like to try some of their other offerings. When they hear "4th bottle" in their mind, they're going to think you've forked out a bit of money on their line. It's doubtful that they will think you are lying because they're not thinking the way you and I are. Sometimes it's ok to lie to get a freebie
    Awesome! Thanks. I'm gonna try my luck later today and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    The "Vanilla" many associate with scented tobacco/pipe-tobacco is predominantly Coumarin, a crystalline resin secretion from the tonka bean, and to a lesser degree in newer formulas, ethyl maltol, and ethyl vanillin.

any coumarin/tonka heavy scent will give you a similar scent, with a slight "sweetened pipe tobacco" feel [see dreamer/london/bogart ph], but the most similar imo to that particular type of pipe tobacco used in classic middleton's black-n-milds [I had lots of experience hollowing them out in HS ] would be:

Black Cavendish from TGQ, which is sweet, but also with plenty of the acrid bitterness of the dried tobacco leaf inside, not just the very flavorful/sweetened outside wrap of a black-n-mild.

Black Cavendish is the closest to the smell of the black-n-mild.

As for the smell of the filler tobacco in many sweetened cigars, (phillie guts), without the wrapper:
    I think Odori's Tabacco comes closest to delivering this scent and dried texture.

Other slightly sweeter varieties similar to all the different sweetened "flanker black-n-milds", especially when they are fresh and moist are:
    Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille
    Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille
    Sonoma Tabac Aurea
    Demeter Whiskey Tobacco (highly recommended for Mitsouko lovers seeking a sweet pipe tobacco)

the tom ford features a very "clove cigarette" topnote, and the other 3 feature boozy topnotes, but all 4 are worthy "sweetened cigar/pipe tobacco" scents imo, and all sweeter than the TGQ Black Cavendish, but all also sweeter than either the vanilla black-n-milds, & classic black-n-milds.

Other less worthwhile samples(imo) that fit somewhere in the middle between sweetened cigars/pipe tobacco, and the rough, dried filler tobacco in sweetened cigars, are:
    Demeter pipe Tobacco / this is not a pipe
    Ava Luxe sweet tobacco
    All the CB IHate perfume tobaccos
    Forgive a silly question but what or who are TGQ?
    I only ask since there's no brand by that name here
    Even if TGQ were an abbreviation.
    Seems I can't find "Black Cavendish" under fragrances names either.

Thanks,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

So that stuff, according to that site, is the highest concentration of fragrance. Does that mean I'm going to choke to death with just one spray?