17 13.18%
  • 6-8

26 20.16%
  • 9-10

14 10.85%
  • 11-15

65 50.39%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

Ive always had a personal rule that I only buy 1 bottle at a time - for couple reasons, but the big one is to keep the costs down, it can get quite expensive as we all know. And because I get sick of them over time, I buy the smallest bottles for the most part UNLESS I get a smoking deal where the larger one is $15 or less more.

I have a tendency to get sick of my scents when im about 2/3 done the bottle. Right now I have 3 in my collection (D&G Light blue, versace blue jeans, Rochas Man). Ive always only had about 3 in my collection and used them in rotation for the most part. Sometimes ill do one for a week if im really in the mood for it, then so on. For instance the D&G ive had for over a year now and am SOOO SICK OF IT!!! I no longer like it, i hate it now, i find it irritating and almost wanna throw it out. And trust me, theres no worse feeling than wearing a cologne that youre so sick of because you get no enjoyment out of it. If anything you just feel like youre doing it just for the sake of using it up and moving on with it.

What do I need to do to not get sick of my fragrances before finishing them? I find im just wasting money cause 90% of the time my bottles (once they hit 1/3 left), they just sit there for months and months collecting dust or I give them to friends just cause i desperately just wanna get rid of it. Generally speaking how many fragrances should a man have in his collection to not get sick of them?

I want to expand my collection but I dont want to get out of hand (as it does get expensive).
    Last edited by ADGfan; 7th April 2010 at 02:04 AM.

Default Re: How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

I could easily do with about 5 bottles, as long as I have one for each major type of occasion. I think it's only normal to get sick of your favorites over time. It's also good to have a non-perfumey pallet cleanser, like Angeliques sous la pluie.

Of course, the more the merrier, to a certain extent. I think more than 15 is a little overboard in terms of practicality. Under 15, you can rotate quite a bit and still get to know and appreciate your fragrances. Not to say I wouldn't love a collection of 100+. I'm truly envious of some of the wardrobes on here.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th April 2010 at 02:10 AM.
    Sales thread here

Default Re: How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I currently have 18 scents and could easily sell 6-8 because I've gotten bored with them...

I have too many in my collection to ever get tired of any of them, even if I lived five long lifetimes!

Ok thanks for the feedback mate. I have a fairly large wardrobe and thinking maybe a mans cologne collection should be just as big or at least close. Just like clothes, if we wear the same clothes everyday or every second or third day we would get sick of them awfully fast right? Do you see cologne having any resemblance?

Cause even though I have 3 it generally doesn't take long to get sick of one because you smell it every 2nd day.

I might go pick up a couple more bottles tommorow if its going to prevent me from getting sick of my newest gem - Rochas for man.

Well it's tough question. Everyone's tolerance for boredom is different. Everyone's idea of how many different scents is enough is very different. If you're looking to be cautious with purchases, maybe 5 or so is all you need.

With a large collection, I do always go for the smallest bottle i can get. I won't go through anything fast enough to merit the "savings per ml" I get buying the bigger bottle.

The only rules that count here are ADGfan's rules.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 7th April 2010 at 03:06 AM.

Where is the 100 to 200 choice? LOL.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

The more the marrier!
    I have 60+, and I'm not
    sick of one single one!

I have over 20 and i am doing ok lol

Over 9000!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    Over 9000!!!
    be careful the hoarders show might be on to you lol

im trying to sell some of my fragrances..
    i'll only keep my "5 star" fragrances.. and i dont want more than 10 in my collection..
    btw.. im talking about bottles..
    samples? OVER 1,000,000 lol
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Including decants, I'd happily own a hundred. I thrive on diversity in my collection, and generally go towards buying bottles of the cheap stuff and decants of the more expensive, depending on the degree of love and how often I think I'll wear it.

I usually only get bigger size bottles because you get more mL per dollar. but I do have a few smaller sized ones. I have over 20 right now, but I am always trying to get rid of some to get others. This is mainly because I do LOTS of blind buys. I just have to sell them on eBay, and get ones I like more. I eventually will have a perfect collection that I can rotate out.

I think 10 REALLY good fragrances is probably the best. At least 2 perfect fragrances per season, IMO.
    Last edited by Geikamir; 7th April 2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

I would say 11-15 is a great number, just to make sure you don't get sick of any single one
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

It's more a question of finding what you ultimately like. It really took me years to find what I like, have it in my collection and use it regularly. (except Dirty English)
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 7th April 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It's more a question of finding what you ultimately like. It really took me years to find what I like, have it in my collection and use it regularly. (except Dirty English)
    Exactly. I would prefer less scents that I really love and make some of them my signatures (for work, evening, winter) rather than huge diversity. Its nice to have many options but IMO fragrance is part of "personality" and people will remember and associate you better when you use just few. But its hard to find holy grail

And back to original question. More than being bored with my fragrances I am annoyed with some notes in them or just find out that they doesnt fit me and my lifestyle well.

I've narrowed down to all the scents I'd like to own above others to about 20.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    +1!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

"A lot" is my option. No more precise than that. When any of my friends asks "just how many different fragrances do you have?" I reply "A lot" and I don't get more precise than that no matter how many follow up questions they ask. The truth is they'll drop their jaws if I say 20, if I say 45, if I say 60, so it doesn't matter. I end with "what I'd like is that when you tell further friends that I've got a lot of fragrances, tell them that you asked just how many, but that I would reply with nothing but 'a lot.'" That way they never stop being mystified at the number.

So I say to readers here, I have a lot.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Why the limited choices? It seems the answer has been determined ahead of the poll, with little leeway for variance.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Why the limited choices? It seems the answer has been determined ahead of the poll, with little leeway for variance.
    Agreed. Since many of the posters on this forum are fragrance aficionados, many of us are likely to have large collections, which would suggest its own answer. I don't get tired of any of my current collection - simply because I have sufficient to choose from to match whatever mood or clothing or time of day or season on a given day.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I was happy with just one for years. Then I added another, but not because I was sick with the first. Now I have many more, and I like them all. If I disposed of some, it was not because I was getting tired of wearing them, but because my long time exposure to beautiful perfumes has changed my standards.
    Last edited by narcus; 7th April 2010 at 07:40 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Single digit numbers all registered the same on my first glance.

an option for 15-25 and 25 or more would be more typical for the board to skirt boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Single digit numbers all registered the same on my first glance.

an option for 15-25 and 25 or more would be more typical for the board to skirt boredom.
    Very true.

Funnily enough, my girlfriend, who has been going out with me for a year and a half, announced at the weekend that when she moves house, she wants to have a cupboard just for fragrances.

This is the same woman who told me at Christmas that "she has enough perfume". Hmm, seems that view has changed and she's come over from the dark side and now enjoys having a wide choice of fragrances.

Oh God... what have I started, lol...

I have over 45. I gifted some already to my co-workers and family. You just can't keep track of them.

It's nice having a lot, but I think it'd be better to get a smaller amount of a quality selection. This exhaustive search is hard, but I think it will pay off in the end.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

As many as he wants, as long as he does not get bored...
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 7th April 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

No limitations whatsoever.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th April 2010 at 01:38 PM.

As many as he wants surely is the right answer ....

I think the idea itself of a "collection" implies lack of limitation, because the goal here is not "not to get sick" of them, but the pleasure of searching and discovering new fragrances and notes, and of course the joy of wearing the scents that most please us.
    Think in terms of stamp collection: ask a stamp collector how many is too much stamps, and what's the obvious answer? The point here is that no one wears stamps...

im gonna go pick up another bottle today.

I think the reason i get sick of them so fast is cause i wear the same thing everyday for the most part. I shouldnt be getting sick of cologne 2-3months after buying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    +2!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

As many as you need to reach the point where you forget which ones you have.

That way when you go over your collection you are surprised to find you owned x and then you wear it again for some time
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I was happy with three for years. Three gives you some variety and you can cover most situations with three totally different fragrances each that you really like. But years later . . . now I have over a hundred but this is totally unnecessary and is definitely a collection bordering on OCD. But for starting out . . . three should do it. If you are already so far into the monster and are pondering fragrances on this website, you are probably lost to the God of Scent by now - so forget about it.

Blog Entries

I now have upwards of 100 fragrances and I do not plan to limit my fragrance accesory experience. Fragrance is a reasonalbly affordable fashion obsession in which you can have the best and still remain solvent.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 7th April 2010 at 06:11 PM.

im gonna go buy 2 more at lunch today

Quote Originally Posted by ADGfan View Post
    im gonna go buy 2 more at lunch today
    LOL!!! case closed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GodISmellGood View Post
    LOL!!! case closed!!!!
    well im retiring my D&G light blue so i need something to replace it.

Right now im using Versace blue jeans (sick of and only got it in Dec 09 and will be uising very occasionally)
    Rochas Man - got it 2 days ago, love it but the downdry and longevity sucks on my skin!!!

I was hoping rochas man would be my new scent but considering it lasts 2hrs on my skin i dont see it happening which is a shame.

So ill pick up a couple more scents and perhaps combo the rochas man with it.

I know one of the bottles im going to get is ADG - its been on my mind for the past month haha. wearing it alone is a no no cause its too common but i figure if you combo it with something else then you can at least disguise it.
    Last edited by ADGfan; 7th April 2010 at 07:14 PM.

And how large is your wardrobe right now???
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 7th April 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodISmellGood View Post
    And how large is your wardrobe right now???
    I used to have so many clothes that I would only wear a pair or pants or shirt once every 6 months but i trimmed it down big time in the past couple years. Now I do everything on rotation, I wear the same shirt every 2 weeks if not bit longer.

What about 15 +, but if i had to do over i would keep it around 30.

I used to have so many clothes that I would only wear a pair or pants or shirt once every 6 months but i trimmed it down big time in the past couple years. Now I do everything on rotation, I wear the same shirt every 2 weeks if not bit longer.
    LMAO! He meant your fragrance wardrobe!

Oh!!! Haha my bad. Well right now I have 4 colognes. I picked up 100ml of Aqua Di Gio after work today and just got Rochas Man on Monday.

So right now my wardobe is

Rochas Man
    Aqua Di Gio
    Versace blue jeans
    D&G light blue (but I'm so sick of this stuff and no longer like it, I'm gonna retire it).

For the next while ill probably go back and fourth between ADG and Rochas.

I don't think that there is amagic number. If you want to keep the number of bottles under control, start sampling. Yes, it can also be expensive but if you procure samples and/or decants intelligently you can build up a nice library of fragrances that give you enough variety so that it takes longer to get sick of the limited number of bottles you own.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Actually, my calculations show it's 549.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

42, obviously.

Talking Re: How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

I'm sorry, but that was hilarious!!! That's an instant Basenotes classic!!!

Oh!!! Haha my bad. Well right now I have 4 colognes. I picked up 100ml of Aqua Di Gio after work today and just got Rochas Man on Monday.

So right now my wardobe is

Rochas Man
    Aqua Di Gio
    Versace blue jeans
    D&G light blue (but I'm so sick of this stuff and no longer like it, I'm gonna retire it).

For the next while ill probably go back and fourth between ADG and Rochas.
    I myself had only a couple of frags before discovering the easiness of online blind buying and joining Basenotes. But once you get the scent fever, it can easily get out of control. Right now my wardrobe (I can't help it! ) has 53 fragrances, and is still growing. I want some more! But why fight against it if it gives us such pleasure?

11-15 seems to be a good range for me. I can do 10 but would rather nudge it up a bit just to cover all occasions. However, when I have over 15 bottles, I feel restless. I prefer minimal amounts of "stuff" and find myself itching to unload a few when the total gets over that number.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

i regret buying Rochas man, i wish i could refund it.

i regret buying Rochas man, i wish i could refund it.
    Resell it on eBay. I do it all the time. Its a good way to get rid of a fragrance that doesn't suit you and get money for a replacement.

It doesn't matter how many you have, you will find that you sometimes get tired of some, and others that appeal more over time.

o___O
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 10th October 2012 at 07:47 PM.

If I could do it all over again, I would limit my wardrobe to 10 or less. I did a lot of impulse buying when I first started out only to realize that I could live with having only the ones I truly love.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well it's tough question. Everyone's tolerance for boredom is different. Everyone's idea of how many different scents is enough is very different. If you're looking to be cautious with purchases, maybe 5 or so is all you need.
    /Agree. I used to wear the same one every day before Basenotes. Now I've added two more and might even make it to 5.

It's like asking how many songs you need to listen to.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 21st April 2010 at 01:29 AM.

Get a few more bottles for different occasions. Blue Jeans and DG Light Blue are pretty similar so you're only left with the one Rochas. I've never sampled Rochas but from reading the description it looks like a decent break from the light citrus scents. Try a bottle of something formal and spicy. Maybe another bottle of an oriental. At least 8 bottles of different styles. That way you're always able to rotate. And heck, don't even wear any sometimes.

Putting on my psychiatrist hat it just sounds like you haven't found your scent yet. Like a nice leather jacket. Something that always looks good, works great for any occasion, and is distinctly yours. Off to get samples...

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Actually, my calculations show it's 549.
    Agreed.

Any thing over that is excessive.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

.. as much as one pleases.. 0.5 - 4673 will be fine