17 13.18%
  • 6-8

26 20.16%
  • 9-10

14 10.85%
  • 11-15

65 50.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

i have never got sick of the bottles.Infact i am getting addicted to the bottles. Currently i have 24 and dont mind having 100

Default Re: How many fragrances should a man have in their collection to NOT get sick of any of them?

Hi, I know I'm a bit too late for this thread but thought I'd post for new readers...

I have two methods for not getting sick of scents that work for me.

Method 1: Have about 3 fragrances in your rotation. Never wear 1 more than one day in a row. Rotate the three in the same order. My current 3 that I'm doing this with (for what it's worth) are Boss Bottled, Acqua Di Gio, and a cheap but awesome Gillette splash aftershave.

Method 2: This one might be hard for some basenoters to swallow, but it works really well!
    Own only one expensive "proper" cologne from the fancy section of the store, say for example, Acqua Di Gio (any designer fragrance) but do your research and sample as many as you can so that you buy THE one you love best, and then have as many cheaper (but make sure you like them) colognes as you like to rotate so that you can juggle the expensive one with cheaper ones. In this way you protect yourself by feeling like you wasted money on the expensive scent because by doing this you wont get sick of it (if you are like me).

By the way, for the 2nd method, by "cheaper" I mean some old tried and true, good old classics, and/or some newer ones. The ones I use are Brut, Gillette Aftershave, Imperial Leather, Insignia Zero etc...there are others I'm not that into but that you might like too like Jovan Musk/Old Spice etc. Some newer fragrances that you could use include anything from the Addidas/Playboy range and so on...

45 bottles here, not thinking of getting rid of any, well at least not yet.

in my opinion 10 is the number cause you can say these are my top 10 and also these i got

my dream in some years will be to have Top 10 unique ones which i adore soooo much

and thats it

but to get your 10 you should try over 100 for sure to say that you will stay with these 10 many years !!!

But as another basenoter said its good to have for every ocassion one not only sweet or citrus scents

thats the magic
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

As many as you can afford. If you're not committing any crimes to get the frags then knock yourself out!

IMO...You can not limit it to a number...

I don't think you really need a number, and it depends strongly on the level of fragrance enthusiasm a person has. I had just Le Male for about 10 years and was happy as a clam.

Now I'm approching about 40, I want to make sure that the bottles I do have, I love.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I was happy with just one for years. Then I added another, but not because I was sick with the first. Now I have many more, and I like them all. If I disposed of some, it was not because I was getting tired of wearing them, but because my long time exposure to beautiful perfumes has changed my standards.
    the same with me!
    what i noticed is if i choose great parfume i will like to have it over and over again! never get absolutely tired of it!----just take a break maybe....
    but the one that were not great parfumes got me sick on half of the bottle (example gaultier 2 now i would not take it as a gift)

bottom line: i think if you really get sick of one parfume that parfume is not GOOD! i dont think you can get sick to say you hate it of any great great parfume that you like....and having those is olfactory blessing! and i like to have 15-20 of those and rotate...... and enjoy every single day! its important to have various parfumes not just all with simmilar notes so you will never get tired!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I have over 20 and i am doing ok lol
    +1.

I think most people are interpreting the question as "What is the right number of fragrances to have in your wardrobe?", when I think the OP is asking something that I would rephrase as "What is the smallest number of fragrances that you could have and not get bored of any of them?"

I don't think most people with large collections need to have a hundred or more to avoid getting bored of any of them. I have as many as I do because I want to be able to experience them, not so much to have enough options to avoid boredom.

The answer is very individual, obviously. Some can wear one all the time and never tire of it.

In the past I had 1-3 bottles and never wanted more because I never thought about fragrance much. Now, I would crave variety if I were limited to 3.

Although I own many more, I think I could live with 6-8 and not tire of any of them.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have 29 bottles right now. I have owned as many as 60. I find that I am far happier with my collection currently. Too many made me kinda miserable and indecisive. I could see being happy with as few as 15, but any lower would hard to tolerate for me. I like my variety. I'd say the 25 to 30 range is my happy place.

I have a few bottles that I wear maybe once a month, but I like keeping them around for their uniqueness. Those include Cartier Roadster and LADDM. They are real change-up scents for me.

The nose only knows when it has had enough. For some on here, the 11-15 you mentioned , is just the start of a fragrance collection. While for others , 11-15 choices is quite enough. Peronally, I tend to have a top 7-8 full bottles with an infinite number of decants and sample vials to keep things interesting.

When I began with this hobby, I felt attracted by each new smell for me and I wanted to buy it. I did a lot of unnecessary buys. Right now, Iīm not as impressionable as then and I feel that some fragrances likes me but doesnīt goes with my style. In the other hand, Iīm more able to compare similar smells and decide which likes me more.

All of this helps me to be more rational to the hour to waste money in a fragrance. I donīt know what is the "correct" number of fragrances that we should have; more than a number, I think we should have covered (I donīt know if this is the correct word in english) all our expectations of use.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

I think one post was getting closer to the crux of the situation. Are you building a wardrobe (utility based, enough to cover the situations in which you wear fragrance) or a collection (hobby based, more for personal satisfaction)? The latter is entirely personal, the former is a lot trickier of a situation. For example, I live in Southern California, we don't have weather here, so the actual amount of variation needed for a wardrobe is pretty low. Someone in New York or Boston has distinct seasons, so there is more variation needed to build said wardrobe.

Ultimately its up to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    I think one post was getting closer to the crux of the situation. Are you building a wardrobe (utility based, enough to cover the situations in which you wear fragrance) or a collection (hobby based, more for personal satisfaction)? The latter is entirely personal, the former is a lot trickier of a situation. For example, I live in Southern California, we don't have weather here, so the actual amount of variation needed for a wardrobe is pretty low. Someone in New York or Boston has distinct seasons, so there is more variation needed to build said wardrobe.

Ultimately its up to you though.
    I think mine is more of a hybrid of a collection and a wardrobe. Definitely not just for utility, but also not just a collection, because I don't want any to gather dust and just be "collected". I buy them to use them, and I don't ration or baby any of them. When they're gone, they're gone (I do have a NIB Kouros that I never have opened just to keep for sentimental reasons).

364 (91 per season)
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    "A lot" is my option. No more precise than that. When any of my friends asks "just how many different fragrances do you have?" I reply "A lot" and I don't get more precise than that no matter how many follow up questions they ask. The truth is they'll drop their jaws if I say 20, if I say 45, if I say 60, so it doesn't matter. I end with "what I'd like is that when you tell further friends that I've got a lot of fragrances, tell them that you asked just how many, but that I would reply with nothing but 'a lot.'" That way they never stop being mystified at the number.

So I say to readers here, I have a lot.
    Exactly my response when someone asks me too.

Voted 11-15 since its the highest possible answer, I own around 10-12 fragrances right now and can def say that I would like a bigger collection to rotate from.

I guess it's all about perspective and how big of a frag-head u are too....

How every many you can see yourself wearing. My taste changes...way too often, so I like to have multiple bottles. One day I will be in the mood for a strong, dark gourmand, and the next day I will find myself holding up an aquatic. However, regardless I typically never lose interest in a fragrance. If I let go unworn for awhile, I will find myself spraying it again.
    I also love adding cheapies to my collection. I know a ton of members here have "given up on cheapies" but there are times when I just can not justify spraying a $100 fragrance. I'm not going to wear Pure Malt to go buy groceries. Instead, I'll spray Michel Germain - Tattoo (close enough and at 1/10 the price)
    I currently have 42 bottles, and now I am emptying out another drawer since my current one has far too many.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have 35+ and I never get tired of my fragrances. Love 'em to death.

I voted for 11-15. While I don't set a limit and will get a frag regardless (eventually, anyway) if I really love it, ultimately I think I could narrow down to this range if I had to and that would provide just enough of a rotation for me to not get sick of any of them. It would have to be a pretty solid & diverse group, though. ;-)