Code of Conduct

Default Bois des Ilse extrait...what's the point?

I have a tiny sample of Bois des Ilse and it was getting empty so I dumped the whole thing on my arm to give it a final testing. Ummm.....Egoiste anyone?! The similarity to Egoiste is uncanny and is getting on my nerves a bit. Yes BdI parfum smells richer and is softer than Egoiste...but it in the end...it smells like Egoiste! If I narrow down the differences (if any), BdI parfum lacks the candied fruit-accord that Egoiste has in its heartnotes, but then the drydown is indistinguishable. Why would I splurge close to 200 buckaroos on 15ml when I can purchase a 100ml of Egoiste for a lot less?! BdI is ALL about the EDT IMHO. The gingerbread note really distinguishes the two and the lasting power and sillage are also above average.
    No offense to anyone who considers BdI parfum their holy grail!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Bois des Ilse extrait...what's the point?

200 for 15ml?!! OMG!
    You can get 200ml for
    just a few bucks more!

Yours must have been
    vintage, no?!

Bois des Iles as BIN on eBay!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 7th April 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    200 for 15ml?!! OMG!
    You can get 200ml for
    just a few bucks more!

Yours must have been
    vintage, no?!

Bois des Iles as BIN on eBay!
    The sample I had is new BdI parfum not the vintage and it goes for 120 pounds; same price I paid for 15ml CdR extrait. You could easily buy 3 or 4 100ml Egoiste EDT's for that money!!!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Oops, excusé moi ... I was thinking about EdT!

Yes, the drydown is similar in the two. BdI is better from top to bottom, IMO, but I do also feel the value for money with Egoiste.

I have both, BdI in parfum and Egoiste in edt.

Egoiste is drier and to be honest no big aldehyde blast in the beginning which is the norm with most of the vintage feminine Chanels.

BdI has a turpentine blast which mades it so individual.

Since BdI was created long before Egoiste the question should be whats the point of Egoiste if they are so similar. No they are not is the answer. Egoiste is mucher drier has I said, on me they are different enough to know they are two different fragrances.

BdI in parfum has far bigger sillage that Egoiste sprayed on with abandon. Infact I had a card sprayed with BdI edt before it was reformulated in the bigger bottle. I put the card in a book and 6 years later I can still smell it quite clearly when I open the book.
    Last edited by donna255; 7th April 2010 at 07:40 AM.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I have both, BdI in parfum and Egoiste in edt.

Egoiste is drier and to be honest no big aldehyde blast in the beginning which is the norm with most of the vintage feminine Chanels.

BdI has a turpentine blast which mades it so individual.

Since BdI was created long before Egoiste the question should be whats the point of Egoiste if they are so similar. No they are not is the answer. Egoiste is mucher drier has I said, on me they are different enough to know they are two different fragrances.

BdI in parfum has far bigger sillage that Egoiste sprayed on with abandon. Infact I had a card sprayed with BdI edt before it was reformulated in the bigger bottle. I put the card in a book and 6 years later I can still smell it quite clearly when I open the book.
    I agree with you that Egoiste does not have the amount of aldehydes that BdI has, but the parfum has signficantly less aldehydes than the EDT. Egoiste is drier in the topnotes but quickly becomes buttery when the sandalwood emerges.

Yes, I suppose you could argue the point of what is the point of Egoiste since BdI was created first, and you do have a point.

I guess my point is, IMO, if I smelt the sillage of BdI parfum, I could easily mistake it for Egoiste. Yes, BdI parfum is much richer and smells more expensive if sniffed closely. However, BdI EDT is very distinguishable both from the parfum and Egoiste, maybe because of the sheer amount of aldehydes and the gingerbread.

BdI parfum has humongous sillage for a parfum. I can still catch whiffs of the 0.1 ml on my wrist I put over twelve hours ago. This is approaching Onda territory!

I'm curious, do you have the pre-reformulation parfum? And did you notice a difference between today's EDT and the pre-reformulation EDT? Gosh, your book must smell amazing!!!

My bottle of parfum was bought 2003 and I have no where to sniff the new version, the nearest boutique is Dublin. I have to be honest the big parfum companies and cosmetic too are taking the P with prices in euros compared to sterling. So it is not even worth the trip to Dublin. We use sterling in Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic used euros. Sorry for the ramble abouth currency, but as I said not worth a two hour train journey just to go sniffing.
    DONNA

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Extrait is not always better. Sometimes a parfum formulation is more of a marketing-driven product extension to the original EDT...

Basenotes Institution

scent - are you weraring/testing 'new' BdI parfum, as opposed to vintage parfum?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    scent - are you weraring/testing 'new' BdI parfum, as opposed to vintage parfum?
    Yes, and I'm finding it very similiar to Egoiste. I hear the vintage is more nutty and creamier. Have you tried it?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Yes, and I'm finding it very similiar to Egoiste. I hear the vintage is more nutty and creamier. Have you tried it?
    In my dreams....no, I think I would explode with excitement if I ever saw a bottle of this. I'd probably mortgage my house to buy it. Seriously.

BdI extrait is the best sandalwood perfume I know. It seems very different from egoiste - they share the sandalwood but not much else.
    I'll write more tomorrow - must sleep now.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews