Code of Conduct

Default Duty Free Stores

Hey guys,
    I am unfortunately in a location where non-mainstream frags aren't really available (no Nordstrom, Macy, Saks, Barneys)....you may be saying to yourself: why doesnt he just order some samples. Unfortunately, my parents were suspicious of what I would buy (seeing as that I am in college) and refused to give me a credit card.

I buy everything in cash, and often times can't order stuff off the internet. I am taking a trip that will take me through Chicago O'Hare and Louisville (idk if this is even international). Interested in some stuff, would you let me know if you have seen these...or if I am out of luck....thanks. On a side note, how do prices in these stores on average compare to other places?

Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Intense
    Mugler Sunessence
    Gaultier2
    L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    L'Instant de Guerlain

Default Re: Duty Free Stores

You say where you're going but not where you are coming from. To use a duty free store you must be on an international flight - that is, flying from one country to another. Flying within the same country doesn't count no matter how many transfers you make.

Those fragrances should be at duty frees... As far as the prices at duty frees go, they're less than retail department stores, but probably more than at discount or online stores... and duty frees don't ever seem to have sales.

If "duty free" means Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross, Kohl's, etc. You're not gonna find any Dior, Guerlain, or Gaultier. You may find Mugler if you're lucky, but odds are it would be A*Men or maybe the discontinued B*Men.

Try and find any nearby outlets like Perfumania, they are a bit cheaper compared to regular retailers, but a little more expensive than online retailers.

I don't know how it works but my cousin has a debit credit card which function like a credit card but you'll put the money in first to use. For example, you have $200, you put your $200 in the debit card, you use up the $200 then you have to put more money in in order to use more.
    Last edited by jasonx; 7th April 2010 at 07:29 AM.

@foetidus at some airports the Duty free stores are simply in the international "section" of the airport.....when I was flying domestically I picked up 1 million at Minneapolis Airport....granted I had to pay taxes....but I just am interested in the stores for the frags they have

^ True. I once stopped in a duty free store in JFK, I think. One of the SA's asked if I was flying internationally. I said no, so she said I would have to pay taxes. There must have been enough international flights going out of that terminal that it was worth it for them to have a duty free there.

Also, if you're concerned about masking your transactions from your parents, why not just buy one of those prepaid Visa cards from the grocery store? I think they can be used for online purchases, but as far as your statement is concerned, the only "purchase" was from the grocery store. I think this is what jasonx is referring to above. Sneaky.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 7th April 2010 at 10:34 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Are the prices at these airport stores cheaper than TJ Maxx?
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Are the prices at these airport stores cheaper than TJ Maxx?
    no...

Selection at duty free shops varies widely by location. I have been pleasantly surprised - lots of obscure, great stuff, at good prices - and many times let down when I found nothing but the most mundane stuff at fairly high prices. Always worth checking out, though, especially if you have spare time while you're hanging around in an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^ True. I once stopped in a duty free store in JFK, I think. One of the SA's asked if I was flying internationally. I said no, so she said I would have to pay taxes. There must have been enough international flights going out of that terminal that it was worth it for them to have a duty free there.

Also, if you're concerned about masking your transactions from your parents, why not just buy one of those prepaid Visa cards from the grocery store? I think they can be used for online purchases, but as far as your statement is concerned, the only "purchase" was from the grocery store. I think this is what jasonx is referring to above. Sneaky.
    I don't know if my cousin is using the same card that you mention but she can purchase fragrances from Amazon.com as far as I konw