Code of Conduct

Default Couple of questions about Guerlain

is coriolan worth stocking up on since its discontinued? do you think its value will raise much a couple of years from now?

is the derby in the bee bottle that they sell at saks a good reformulation of the original derby? the reformulation costs 220.00 so am i better off trying to find the original on ebay or something like that?
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 7th April 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Couple of questions about Guerlain

Sample Coriolan. I personally hated it, and I've tried numerous times to wear it.

'New' Derby in the bee bottle is fantastic juice. Slightly different than vintage, but still quite wonderful. Buy with confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sample Coriolan. I personally hated it, and I've tried numerous times to wear it.

'New' Derby in the bee bottle is fantastic juice. Slightly different than vintage, but still quite wonderful. Buy with confidence!
    I think Mike is right on both counts, but I haven't smelled the old Derby so I can't testify. About Coriolan, I'd say it's not a good idea to think of fragrance bottles as investments. It might be longer than a lifetime before they're valuable. If you like the smell, however, that's different. Of course it means that you wear it instead of invest in it however.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

i have coriolan, i love it. although i've only had it for a day :/

Coriolan is well known on this forum for dividing opinion. It's a kind of Marmite fragrance, you either love it or hate it.

I love it. One of the finest bottles ever designed too.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Another Coriolan fan here too.

Having only tried the vintage Derby, I can only imagine what the new formula might smell like - many have noted here on Basenotes that the re-release is a lot more radiant than the first.

There`s Coriolan in new re-released version Les Parisiens and it also costs USD 220 (Un Aime d`Un Heros).
    So if you like the perfume - buy Coriolan to save your money. I found some 50 ml bottles for 20 bucks on discount.

As for Derby - I prefer old version. Not so green and radiant, but muted and cognac-like leather-carnation perfume. Old schooler.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Coriolan is well known on this forum for dividing opinion. It's a kind of Marmite fragrance, you either love it or hate it.

I love it. One of the finest bottles ever designed too.
    I love Coriolan. But then again, I love Marmite also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If you can get it at a good price, by all means get it. It's a great scent

Coriolan's value has fluctuated over time. A few years ago it could be had for very little, $15 - 25 at almost every online discounter. When it joined Les Parisiennes as L'Ame d'un Héroes the discounters raised their prices, $40+, and today it takes a little more hunting to find it, but it's still widely available. It must have been a huge flop to still have that much stock floating around in the gray market.
    That said, I like it. It's serious, elegant and refined, with its wonderful juniper berry note. It doesn't really fit into my lifestyle, but I could see someone who dresses up getting a lot of use out of it.
    As far as Derby goes, like the other posters, I find the vintage far superior, more leather and moss, but the new version is also quite wonderful. I'd love to own a bottle someday.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th April 2010 at 01:05 PM.

I love Coriolan too, have one bottle now and think its very nice, I can smell someting similar to Terre there. But still dont understand why it has been discontinued. The new version L'Ame d'un Héroes is too expensive I think.