Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Kouros vs Anteus

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kouros by Yves Saitn Laurent

    19 37.25%
  • Anteus by Chanel

    32 62.75%
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Question When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Kouros vs Antaeus




    They're both my favourite powerhouses, VERY potent, and have passed the toughest tests of time.

    If you were to retain any one of these in your wardrobe, what would it be, and why?

    After thinking deeply (but didn't need to think long), I decided to go with Kouros.

    Because it's exorbitantly confident, intriguingly long lasting (more so than Antaeus) and it sits at one end of the Masculine-Feminine scale, knowing it can't go any further from there (any further and it would smell like distilled crotch). The sillage and "aura" it creates is just incredibly brooding, yet straight to the point. What Kouros can do on my skin, can be defined as "pure magic". It's a true masterpiece, and I hope they never ever ever ever never ever reformulate or discontinue it.

    Antaeus is a long time friend, an outstanding fragrance, an epitome of a "quality powerhouse", clearly a men's fragrance, but I'll happily wave it goodbye if I have to weigh it against Kouros.

    What's your pick?

    [Edit: Made typo while typing options in the Poll - Saint spelled as "Satin", and Antaeus spelled as "Anteus". Apologies for that, and if anyone knows how to edit what was typed into the poll, please let me know.]

    Added later: from my reply to DustB: Surely, they'll both be in the wardrobe. But, may I please take the privilege to force you to pick just one here, and let me know why?

    Guys, I know it's hard to pick, but PLEASE! We'd all see where this heads in two days from now.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 7th April 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typos

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,411
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    "Edit," then "Go Advanced," and you will be able to edit the Thread Title.

    I feel obligated to point out that if there is such a thing as "unstoppable," by definition there can be no such thing as "immovable," because if anything is immovable, nothing can be unstoppable, since anything can be stopped by the immovable thing. "Unstoppable" and "immovable" are mutually exclusive concepts. Get it?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 7th April 2010 at 06:15 AM.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  3. #3

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Thank you Jamie, but I am not able to edit what I typed into the poll by clicking on Go Advanced.

    So, I see you'd favour Antaeus over Kouros? I'll be very happy if you'd leave your opinion on "Why", no matter what you pick.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,411
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    If you do "Edit" and then "Go Advanced," above the text of your post there is a small oblong text box labeled "Title" with the title of the thread as you first typed it. You can delete that text and type another one and click "Save," and that will save your new title. It always works for me...

    I like Antaeus better: first, because it is a true leather chypre; and second, because it contains a clary sage and myrtle accord in the top note which I find irresistibly beautiful.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  5. #5

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    If you do "Edit" and then "Go Advanced," above the text of your post there is a small oblong text box labeled "Title" with the title of the thread as you first typed it. You can delete that text and type another one and click "Save," and that will save your new title.
    Actually, there's no typo in the thread title, which is "When the unstoppable meets the immovable...". The typo is in the text that I typed into the poll options.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I like Antaeus better: first, because it is a true leather chypre; and second, because it contains a clary sage and myrtle accord in the top note which I find irresistibly beautiful.
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing your opinion. I want to agree with every bit of what you say; my nose isn't so much sophisticated yet, but I won't deny the fact that Antaeus is a beautiful cologne. But I just can't give up Kouros for it. For each, his own.

    I'm very curious to see where the poll results are going to go in a day or two.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 7th April 2010 at 06:29 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    ...it creates the hydro-power electric station!

    I vote for Kouros.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I can't choose. Let them both be first among equals to each other.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    My life would be so much easier if I knew what & why to choose...

    As for a choice between Antaeus & Kouros, I can't choose.
    I wear Kouros in summer and Antaeus in winter. Different scents in different environments.

  9. #9

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I can't choose. Let them both be first among equals to each other.
    Ah, the "I'm a basenoter, so why should I pick only one" argument!

    Would you pick only one and share your thoughts behind doing so, if I say "please"? I'll send you a butter cookie, may be? I'm personally in agreement that it's hard to pick one when both are too good, but my idea is to see how many people would turn down one over the other (and love which one), in an imaginary "lose one" situation.

    Surely, they'll both be in the wardrobe. But, may I please take the privilege to force you to pick just one here, and let me know why?

  10. #10

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Ah, the "I'm a basenoter, so why should I pick only one" argument!

    Would you pick only one and share your thoughts behind doing so, if I say "please"? I'll send you a butter cookie, may be? I'm personally in agreement that it's hard to pick one when both are too good, but my idea is to see how many people would turn down one over the other (and love which one), in an imaginary "lose one" situation.

    Surely, they'll both be in the wardrobe. But, may I please take the privilege to force you to pick just one here, and let me know why?
    Ah, the "I'll make him work the brain" argument!

    Okay, I'll play. Let me get some thinking in and I'll post again and click one of the buttons choosing which of my children to kill.

    Easy to do when asked so politely my friend.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,411
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Actually, there's no typo in the thread title, which is "When the unstoppable meets the immovable...". The typo is in the text that I typed into the poll options.
    Sorry, that is a different problem, and I think once you submit the poll, you can no longer change the options... I misunderstood the problem. My bad!
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  12. #12

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Sorry, that is a different problem, and I think once you submit the poll, you can no longer change the options... I misunderstood the problem. My bad!
    I could change things like that for people when I was a mod, but I needed to relearn each time. There's some path to it, but a mod needs to do it and always figure out how to do it.

    Fortunately we all know the benevolent intentions involved now.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Ah, the "I'll make him work the brain" argument!

    Okay, I'll play. Let me get some thinking in and I'll post again and click one of the buttons choosing which of my children to kill.

    Easy to do when asked so politely my friend.
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm glad the "butter cookie" bribe worked.

  14. #14

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I prefer Antaeus much more, only because the smell still amazes me to this day
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  15. #15

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm glad the "butter cookie" bribe worked.
    Bribes always work in India mate

  16. #16

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Bribes always work in India mate
    How about a pack of cookies to you as well? Are you picking one now, please?

  17. #17

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Both are beautiful. Both are masterpieces.
    Antaeus is my number one choice when I mourn the death of an honorable man,
    but how could I live without Kouros, the Ode to Joy?
    Last edited by narcus; 7th April 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  18. #18

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Sorry, that is a different problem, and I think once you submit the poll, you can no longer change the options... I misunderstood the problem. My bad!
    Umm... I don't want to change the options in the poll, but I just need to fix a typo. However, I understand that technically it's possible that I change the options. So, this restriction makes perfect sense.

    I'd be glad if a moderator can fix the typo for me.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 7th April 2010 at 08:23 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    There are fragrances that I'd pick over both of them, but in this choice I would favour Antaeus, it's the more complex of the two and has more to say in terms of perfumer's craft than Kouros which I find something of a one-trick pony.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  20. #20

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    There are fragrances that I'd pick over both of them
    I'll be happy if you name those here. And, thanks for sharing your opinion.

  21. #21

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    For me, it is Antaeus by far

  22. #22
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I went with Kouros.

    Why?!

    Because I almost despise Antaeus.
    To me, it smells like an old man,
    totally outdated, and very cheap.

    I only have Kouros as deodorant spray,
    and even though I amell a little bit of urin
    in it, I quit like it. It's most definately on
    my want-list ... but in the buttom!

    Those two frags are über-masculine,
    something I am not ... über that is.

  23. #23

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I have a friend who has only those two perfumes in his fragrance wardrobe, ha ha! Gonna have to ask him and get back to you with the answer.

  24. #24
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Kouros is and always will be King. All others are pretenders to the crown.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th April 2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  25. #25
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,502

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    For me, it is Antaeus by far
    For me too.

  26. #26
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,424
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Voted Kouros. Why? Because it's King.

    Actually, i am developing a new appreciation for Antaeus, i frag i have used since its launch, but never obsessed over.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  27. #27

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I like both of these but Antaeus is the one I own, so it gets my vote. It just smells better to me.

  28. #28

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Both are beautiful. Both are masterpieces.
    Antaeus is my number one choice when I mourn the death of an honorable man,
    but how could I live without Kouros, the Ode to Joy?
    hmm.. Beethoven's Third (Antaeus) or Ninth (Kouros)? Interesting. Do you apply a scent to all the Beethoven Symphonies?

  29. #29

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I LOVE Antaeus. But I would gladly sacrifice it to spare the life of Kouros. Why? Because when I wear Antaeus, I feel handsome. But, when I wear Kouros, I feel sexy. It is more important to me to feel sexy than to feel handsome. I suppose these are just goofy emotional responses, but there you have it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

  30. #30

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    There are fragrances that I'd pick over both of them, but in this choice I would favour Antaeus, it's the more complex of the two and has more to say in terms of perfumer's craft than Kouros which I find something of a one-trick pony.
    Ditto. I don't mind Kouros, but it doesn't seem to evolve enough for me once the top notes have gone. I find I get tired of it very quickly.

  31. #31
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I cannot stand Kouros. Antaeus is the more complex and sophisticated.

  32. #32

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Easy.. Antaeus.

  33. #33

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    I LOVE Antaeus. But I would gladly sacrifice it to spare the life of Kouros. Why? Because when I wear Antaeus, I feel handsome. But, when I wear Kouros, I feel sexy. It is more important to me to feel sexy than to feel handsome. I suppose these are just goofy emotional responses, but there you have it.
    Excellent! These may or may not be those goofy emotional responses, but these are the ones I wanted to see. It was similar in my case; I love Antaeus, but I just will kill it for saving Kouros.

  34. #34

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    I love them both, but I'd choose Antaeus because it's more mysterious and ancient-smelling.

    By the way, if L'Oreal's purchase of YSL means that they'll do to Kouros what they've done to Opium, I'd stock up on bottles pretty quick, because a classic may be about to die.
    ---

    I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

    For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

    Many thanks.

  35. #35

    Cool Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post


    I feel obligated to point out that if there is such a thing as "unstoppable," by definition there can be no such thing as "immovable," because if anything is immovable, nothing can be unstoppable, since anything can be stopped by the immovable thing. "Unstoppable" and "immovable" are mutually exclusive concepts. Get it?
    Is this a Koan?

    *****************

    ANTAEUS

    Why?
    Could it possibly be because I think that it smells far better or would that be much too obvious?

    Cheers,

    Mario
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  36. #36

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I feel obligated to point out that if there is such a thing as "unstoppable," by definition there can be no such thing as "immovable," because if anything is immovable, nothing can be unstoppable, since anything can be stopped by the immovable thing. "Unstoppable" and "immovable" are mutually exclusive concepts. Get it?
    Wow! I hadn't noticed this "explanation".

    This is like saying

    "if there can be something called as negative, then there cannot possibly be anything called as positive, because they're mutually exclusive".

    And that's simply wrong.

    To give it a counter argument, both immovable and unstoppable properties could be exhibited by objects only after they achieve infinite energy (which theoretically is impossible), because their properties demand that they continue their state of rest, or motion, even after they've been interrupted by an external force, no matter how "big" the interruption by the external force itself is.

    Achieving infinite energy -- the "unstoppable thing" should travel faster than light, but it would require infinite mass to do that, and the "immovable thing" would require infinite potential energy to become immovable, both of which are theoretically impossible.

    Both such objects cannot exist in reality (considering all the scientific theories that have been derived, and the knowledge that the human race has on the subject), but if they do exist, they definitely need not be "mutually exclusive". Because if one object could exhibit infinite energy in some form, another object could very well exhibit infinite energy in some other form.

    And I *did* mention both terms - "unstoppable", and "Immovable" in a purely metaphorical context, so I just chuckled when I noticed someone has put in efforts commenting (that too, not very correct) on those terms.

    My graduation was on physics, and so will my PhD be on.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 8th April 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo

  37. #37

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Gentlemen, the poll time is over. And it looks like BN concludes that Antaeus is more beloved than Kouros here!

    Thanks for the votes; my respect for Antaeus has gone a few notches up.

  38. #38

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    you should try layering them
    now that's an amazing combo
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  39. #39

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Layering Kouros with Antaeus? Only if I'm allowed to use a spray of Quorum and a few sprays of VC & A Pour Homme. Now, that would be a "deadly" combo.

  40. #40
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

    Vintage Antaeus was better than Kouros; nowadays it is the other way around, IMHO. I have to concede in that Antaeus is much more formal than Kouros. I don't imagine wearing the beast in formal occasions, though.

Similar Threads

  1. C!arla Bruni meets the Queen
    By kewart in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th March 2008, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •