Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kouros by Yves Saitn Laurent

19 37.25%
  • Anteus by Chanel

32 62.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

I cannot stand Kouros. Antaeus is the more complex and sophisticated.

Easy.. Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    I LOVE Antaeus. But I would gladly sacrifice it to spare the life of Kouros. Why? Because when I wear Antaeus, I feel handsome. But, when I wear Kouros, I feel sexy. It is more important to me to feel sexy than to feel handsome. I suppose these are just goofy emotional responses, but there you have it.
    Excellent! These may or may not be those goofy emotional responses, but these are the ones I wanted to see. It was similar in my case; I love Antaeus, but I just will kill it for saving Kouros.

I love them both, but I'd choose Antaeus because it's more mysterious and ancient-smelling.

By the way, if L'Oreal's purchase of YSL means that they'll do to Kouros what they've done to Opium, I'd stock up on bottles pretty quick, because a classic may be about to die.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Cool Re: When the unstoppable meets the immovable...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

I feel obligated to point out that if there is such a thing as "unstoppable," by definition there can be no such thing as "immovable," because if anything is immovable, nothing can be unstoppable, since anything can be stopped by the immovable thing. "Unstoppable" and "immovable" are mutually exclusive concepts. Get it?
    Is this a Koan?

ANTAEUS

Why?
    Could it possibly be because I think that it smells far better or would that be much too obvious?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I feel obligated to point out that if there is such a thing as "unstoppable," by definition there can be no such thing as "immovable," because if anything is immovable, nothing can be unstoppable, since anything can be stopped by the immovable thing. "Unstoppable" and "immovable" are mutually exclusive concepts. Get it?
    Wow! I hadn't noticed this "explanation".

This is like saying

"if there can be something called as negative, then there cannot possibly be anything called as positive, because they're mutually exclusive".

And that's simply wrong.

To give it a counter argument, both immovable and unstoppable properties could be exhibited by objects only after they achieve infinite energy (which theoretically is impossible), because their properties demand that they continue their state of rest, or motion, even after they've been interrupted by an external force, no matter how "big" the interruption by the external force itself is.

Achieving infinite energy -- the "unstoppable thing" should travel faster than light, but it would require infinite mass to do that, and the "immovable thing" would require infinite potential energy to become immovable, both of which are theoretically impossible.

Both such objects cannot exist in reality (considering all the scientific theories that have been derived, and the knowledge that the human race has on the subject), but if they do exist, they definitely need not be "mutually exclusive". Because if one object could exhibit infinite energy in some form, another object could very well exhibit infinite energy in some other form.

And I *did* mention both terms - "unstoppable", and "Immovable" in a purely metaphorical context, so I just chuckled when I noticed someone has put in efforts commenting (that too, not very correct) on those terms.

My graduation was on physics, and so will my PhD be on.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 8th April 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo

Gentlemen, the poll time is over. And it looks like BN concludes that Antaeus is more beloved than Kouros here!

Thanks for the votes; my respect for Antaeus has gone a few notches up.

Layering Kouros with Antaeus? Only if I'm allowed to use a spray of Quorum and a few sprays of VC & A Pour Homme. Now, that would be a "deadly" combo.

Vintage Antaeus was better than Kouros; nowadays it is the other way around, IMHO. I have to concede in that Antaeus is much more formal than Kouros. I don't imagine wearing the beast in formal occasions, though.