Code of Conduct

Default The future of Basenotes

Basenotes began ten years ago, as something I did in my spare time. New launches were few and far between and the relatively small amount of visitors we had were easy to deal with.

Five years ago the site visitors began to rocket. The hosting on the site begun to cost almost as much as the rent on my house. It was a do or die time. I couldn't afford to subsidise the site any longer so it had to earn its keep. Luckily with a mix of user subscriptions and advertising we were soon able to meet this costs.

Ten years on and we're in a similar situation. We no longer have the man-power to carry on as we are. The amount of work the site demands in responding to emails, coding, editorial, database management, promotion, community management etc is too much for the two of us, and the time we have. (so, if you're wondering why that email you send three weeks ago hasn't got a response yet..)

If Basenotes is to carry on, we need to either downsize what the site does (we have already cut back in some non-essential areas) or we need to hire people.

We are incredibly grateful for the work that many people have volunteered to do (such as moderating) and I know many have offered themselves to add products to the directory. Sadly the infrastructure for this is not there yet - and while having many users collaborate works well for something like Wikipedia, due to the large userbase and wide subject matter - this wouldn't work as well on a niche-interest site such as this. A model like IMDB is more workable, where users can easily contribute data, and staff can approve or deny is at the touch of a button.

A Vision

We want Basenotes to be the destination for the serious fragrance lover.

We want for visitors to be able to go to any fragrance in the directory - even discontinued ones, and see an image and information. Some fragrances will even have a whole album of pictures showing how the bottle has changed over the years.

We want to have news updates from around the world covering all aspects of fragrances. Whether you're interested in niche, mass market, naturals, designer, new launches, bottle collecting or making it.

We want the wardrobes to be more useful. Want to know who else owns what you own, want to know what fragrances you should try next?

We want to develop iPhone apps so that you can be standing in the middle of a strange city, and find out where the nearest stockist of Lorenzo Villoresi is, and read reviews of the fragrance and the vendor at the touch of a button.

We want comprehensive bios of the big names and big houses in fragrance. And not just the big ones, the small ones too.

We want to continue doing exciting projects like creating our own fragrances with the help of you.

And lots more things. I'm sure you can think of things you'd like too.

So, what are we doing to achieve this.

We've partnered with two companies to help monetize our advertising inventory. Federated Media are handling our North American inventory and Handpicked Media are looking after our European inventory.

We are very pleased to be able to work with these companies - one reason is that it makes advertising sales one less job we need to take care of.

We have also relaunched our Supporting Members programme from today

It is now known as Basenotes Plus and gives Basenotes Members a little extra: For example, we just held a competition to win this rare Andy Tauer limited edition packaging version of L'Air:

Last edited by Grant; 7th April 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Default Re: The future of Basenotes

2 ps worth -

The future feels very strong right now. All the recent happenings like the Milan reports and interviews have been really impressive. I get the clear impression that basenotes is well known and thought to be important within the industry as well as among the hundreds of thousands of readers.

My advice would be - do few things well and always look after the core of what basenotes is first (directory, community, editorial), after all, those are what put value in the advertising.
    That said, there are times where one needs to take a punt - risk things and expand (take on staff??). Make sure that it is clear how this will pay for itself in the long run before you start. Bussiness plans are good...could be worth taking a few days out to write one?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 7th April 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Fab idea Grant ! I do think Basenotes in on the up and up .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Good work on the ad sales partnerships. Basenotes is a very valuable property for fragrance advertisers. Work it - the audience has huge potential for smart marketers.

Basenotes Plus

I love the direction and the vision. Spot on, IMO. I plan to be a part of it, as I have been for the past 5 1/2 years.
    Last edited by RHM; 7th April 2010 at 04:46 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Congratulations Grant and Danielle for a great site and for looking ahead and planning for the future. I plan on sticking around.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Grant and Danielle - In these ten years you've brought an incredible number of perfumistas together and provided them with a real "home", so congratulations on all of your hard work. Since the site has grown so huge, you do need a new, adaptable business plan that can cut down on your workload. I wish you all the best (hugs).
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

As someone whose interests fluctuate wildly in range and duration, I have actively avoided making any real commitment to BN...until now.

Your work has fostered the growth of a vibrant community of bright, interested individuals who can share and revel in that simplest of delights, smell. Simply put, I want all of the things that you want for BN to come to pass someday, and the sooner the better. The very least I can do is support that vision financially, and like many of us it seems, I hope to do more than that in times to come.

Thanks for all of your efforts, Grant and Danielle, and continued best wishes and support in all your fragrance and non-fragrance endeavors.

Do what you got to to stay efficient. I just got here and I don't the site to end yet!
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

Grant and Danielle,

In the relatively brief time I've been a BN'er, I've enjoyed reading about scent, buying scent from BN members, reviewing scent, and talking about all things fragrant.

I applaud you for the integrity of the site... and wish you only the best! Your vision is lovely, and I'll be here supporting!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Thank you, Grant and Danielle, for creating and maintaining this site. I've learned a lot from this site about everything from perfumes, to baking bread, to making stifatho (thanks, Dimitri and Mira), oh and tagine (thanks, tvlampboy!), to breastfeeding advice, to what kind of liquids can get past airport security, oh and did I mention perfumes?

Thanks again! I've learned so much, but I am still and always will be under tutelage.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Grant & Danielle,

I had a thought while I was reading your post. I don't know if anyone else would share the same interests as I would, but I just thought I'd lay an idea on the table, so to speak, in case you hadn't thought of this before.

I'm sure there are many like me with a specific set of talents that could possibly be put to good use with this website who are also interested in obtaining whatever size/variety of a fragrance collection they desire as an individual. Now, if you put these two concepts together, you have supply and demand; the core infrastructure for a healthy economic system (even for Non Profit entities).

The piece of information I'm missing which would finalize my idea would be this: Ask yourself if there is any privilege or product that you and/or your closest friends, associates, BN supporters, etc, have access to or could offer as collateral for jobs that need to be performed in order to keep the website afloat?

For example:

I am a CSS coder, graphic/web designer, proofreader, & Photoshop guru who happens to want to obtain a collection of fragrances and has some free time every week. If there was a way for me to obtain fragrance samples for work I do or to be able to earn a bottle of ______ (donated by BN Supporter John Doe instead of paying for his yearly subscription) by doing __ hours of work on Project X, I would be more than happy to do this.

This is just an example, but do you see what I am getting at?

Anyway, I'll be quiet now as I really have no clue as to what intricacies are involved. If you like my idea or even if you get a chuckle out of its silliness, I would consider it mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 8th April 2010 at 07:45 AM.

As always Grant, your work is so greatly appreciated. I was actually thinking about starting a thread in the Community Centre forum about a way to see who else owns what, and seeing that you already have it in mind, is great to know. I look forward to any and all future updates. Just one suggestion/question. Is there any way that you could update us as to the progress of what you're doing behind the scenes? Whenever BN goes down for maintenance or you guys add something new or take something away, I hate always having to find out about the hard way, you know what I mean? I think there should be a dedicated thread to BN updates, so we always know what's going on. Thanks, and keep up the amazing work!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I think this site is unique and special, and you deserve much applause for all you do. I would like to support the site, but it seems that the only way to do it is by signing into an automated perpetual credit card billing scheme. I don’t do that, and I think it’s an obstacle that might keep other would-be supporters from contributing as well. If one could support the site by, say, sending a cheque once a year at one’s own discretion, then I would be happy to do it. I realize that such an option might be a logistical problem for you. If so, I would have to remain a nonsupporter.

Thanks.

I agree. I'd like to pay for a subscription, but not if I have to remember when money is taken out of my paypal. I can't keep track of it. What'd you say? Maybe there's a solution. EliZA

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I think this site is unique and special, and you deserve much applause for all you do. I would like to support the site, but it seems that the only way to do it is by signing into an automated perpetual credit card billing scheme. I don’t do that, and I think it’s an obstacle that might keep other would-be supporters from contributing as well. If one could support the site by, say, sending a cheque once a year at one’s own discretion, then I would be happy to do it. I realize that such an option might be a logistical problem for you. If so, I would have to remain a non-supporter.

Thanks.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I can't wait for the Basenotes app!!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

This is a great site, I'm thankful to all the advise I have rec'd, did I read you are transferring to V bulletin? V-Bulletin works well, I belong to several groups on V Bulletin.

What is donation to give to help this site.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nines View Post
    .....What is donation to give to help this site....
    http://www.basenotes.net/faq.php?faq...faq_howsupport

And Grant and crew?? Right behind you, whatever you do. Y'all are DA BOMB!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

When a fragrance enthusiast in Singapore is asked "from Basenotes?" by a local discounter, you know BN's reach is pretty much global. Great job, Grant & Danielle. Your vision would be a 'dream come true' for many of us. We got your back.

I think Basenotes is an amazing site...Thankyou...XX

While I have no technical expertise to offer, I have all the enthusiasm for your vision. Basenotes is an integral part of my life. Whatever it takes to make your vision a reality--including an increase in the BN Plus membership--please do consider.

To Buzzley and other not keen on a recurring payment system. I'm more than happy for people to pay a one off $59 to info@basenotes.net via paypal, and I'll set you up for one year. When the year ends the account will go back to normal.

The only caveat is that you may need to wait a while, while I upgrade your account (should be no longer than 24 hours in most cases)

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    2 ps worth -

My advice would be - do few things well and always look after the core of what basenotes is first (directory, community, editorial), after all, those are what put value in the advertising.
    I agree strongly with this, you need to simplify and stop spreading yourself so thin. For instance, close down the magazine and stop the YouTube thing, it's not been active for a long time anyway. When the "center cannot hold" that's a warning sign, when a core activity like updating the directory is not done regularly then the whole site & Basenotes as a product suffer. Your vision for the future is very much in line with what I want from a future Basenotes, and it can be achieved if you focus on the essentials and cut away the fat.
    Last edited by furrypine; 4th May 2010 at 07:21 PM.

I think people should receive free congratulatory samples when they receive a landmark amount of posts. Say, 1,000 or so.

“Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

In the spirit of others here I would just echo that apart from my own personal gratitude to basenotes and the contributors that you/we should not underestimate the interest (and ultimately commercial value) that basenotes engenders in industry circles.

I posted a small note over in the Hong Kong thread about how a relatively new fashion retailer here (called IT) is stepping into the perfume market and it had 240 hits in 24 hours. I'm sure this happens across all the boards pretty well daily, I just hadn't seen it first hand. How you monetize this sort of attention to sustain the site - or alternately don't, and stay aloof from the commercial considerations and the 'editorial input' that would invariably bring - seems to be the key question, as h_d alludes to.

Good luck and congratulations - this is a unique and special place.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th July 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I agree strongly with this, you need to simplify and stop spreading yourself so thin. For instance, close down the magazine and stop the YouTube thing, it's not been active for a long time anyway. When the "center cannot hold" that's a warning sign, when a core activity like updating the directory is not done regularly then the whole site & Basenotes as a product suffer. Your vision for the future is very much in line with what I want from a future Basenotes, and it can be achieved if you focus on the essentials and cut away the fat.
    I have to admit, I haven't joined on Facebook, nor have I seen the YouTube part of Basenotes. But then, I am kind of an old fogey when it comes to these things. I adamantly refuse to get a Twitter account. I admit, I keep coming back because of the extensive fragrance directory, trusted reviews, and of course, the many delightful members.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes has been the most fragrance educational source I've known. Information is power they say, and it has saved me untold amounts of money and time. Before Basenotes (AKA B.B.) if I was interested in exploring fragrance options, there were nearly zero well-constructed, content-packed, web sites to help me. My choices were 1.) believe the advertisement/House description 2.) believe a sales associate 3.) having forced fragrance options by whatever happened to be available at local retailers 4.) buying blind 5.) believing a few other friend's/family's opinions and insight -- who are relatively un-fragrance-educated or experienced. In a nutshell, this was a frustrating level of hell.

After Basenotes (A.B.) I can browse through other's opinions, experiences, insights, and analyses before making any decisions. This, like the internet itself, is life changing.

Because the information is truly priceless, I'm highly motivated to become a supporter. I'll investigate this further.

Thanks.

I wish the very best for Basenotes. However these two comments really strike home with me:

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    2 ps worth -
    My advice would be - do few things well and always look after the core of what basenotes is first (directory, community, editorial), after all, those are what put value in the advertising. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    In my various business ventures I have always found that the death of many a venture is to try to do too many new things and forgetting about the core of the business. What gives Basenotes its uniqueness and special place are the original areas that got it here in the first place. Please don't lift a finger to do new stuff until the old things are fixed and running well. The core areas of Directory, Reviews, Discussion Forums etc. these are why most of us have come to Basenotes. The challenge appears not to find new customers by creating more new venues but to do the basics well enough to hold on for the ride. The support and customers will come anyway.

By the way there is an excellent book that addresses this very issue and gives lots of examples and case histories as well as the reasons why it is so easy to lose focus on what is making you successful. It is called Focus: The Future of Your Compay Depends On It by Al Ries.

I wish the best for Basenotes.

Grant and Danielle,

Thank you for your vision and for all the work you put in to making this online community possible. In the short time I've been a member, I've learned a lot and have received gracious advice from those much more experienced than I. I look forward to logging on everyday. I must say, the Basenotes community is full of stand-up, fun, kind, honest, and gracious folks. Keep up the good work. I'll pitch in my little part. You just got another supporting member.

Blog Entries

^ I agree that the core ventures are critical. I think the vBulletin upgrade and recent directory enhancements have been nice steps in the right direction. The look and feel of the site are keeping up with the times, and I appreciate that. It makes posting and discussion very enjoyable.

I'm hoping that delegation of directory upkeep to the hundreds of anal-retentive dependents with 4 digits of posts can be somehow be accomplished through the directory enhancements. This is maintenance work that we could be doing, freeing up Grant's valuable time for other things. I would love to be able to drop a photo or fixed data into the directory and see it updated in real time. I think there are a lot of people like me here, and we could have the directory content on the bleeding edge of new releases - so people would have no need to look elsewhere. I need to know that my submissions are getting into the directory promptly as motivation to make the changes.

I do think that some of the new ventures like the BN fragrances are helpful for keeping things exciting, but to minimize risks, I agree that the core stuff must not take a hit.