Code of Conduct

Default I wonder why not

fragrance house relaunch their oldest (and often) best offers with a new bottle, packaging and modern advertising campaign instead of "discontinuing" the fragrance?

Today I received Zino by Davidoff which seems to be now discontinued and the juice is as gorgeous as I remember from the old days I wore it. I can see this "classic" working today because I find it quite uplifting and not dated. I am sure if they come up with a new sale strategy for it they could successfully relaunch it.

Instead of investing money and resources in coming up with something "new" and often weak they should explore what they have in the house, polish it and sell it again even with a new name, why not.
    It is a pity how many great fragrances are not selling well and being sacked by their houses due poor advertising and lack of interest. In that sense Aramis is doing great releasing again their classics under a new bottle , two thumbs up, however I think the envelop can be pushed further and fragrances could undergo even more extreme commercial changes. Just my two cents.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: I wonder why not

They do that in the book industry: they take a classic, re edit it as a hardbound edition and include illustrations and sell it at a hefty price. There is a reason for it, they do not have to look for new authors and spend money in their release. Re edition is a far less expensive option.

Now, why cosmetic companies don't do it? My hypothesis is that they are being pressed by multinational companies with expensive R+D programs, thus in need to amortize expenditures. On the other hand, this might be so because the fragrance industry is part of the "fashion complex" , and in these terms, novelty is an added value and tradition something frowned upon, and this includes notes associated with fragrance styles favoured in the past.

I do share your opinion, but I have to admit we might as well be an exception rather than the rule. What really gets my mind, is why companies don't consider customers favoring traditional scents as a maket segment worth taking care of. Logic tells me that we must be a very small segment, but I have the feeling this is not so.

Default Re: I wonder why not

I do think we are a marginal segment of the whole fragrance consumers culture and I also agree with your explanation. It goes against any logic but sometimes companies need to engage in avoidable expenses to keep rolling and pleasing all the people involved in the process. ...
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.