Code of Conduct

Default THANK YOU! (And my new appreciation for Whisky)

Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I wasn't around for the entire Easter break because hubby and I attended the British Annual Science fiction convention (Eastercon), at Radisson Edwardian in Heathrow, London. I met Iain Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Al Davidson, Mike Carey and Ben Goldacre.

Attended a whisky-tasting panel headed by Iain Banks and found that a couple of the glasses passed around smelled rather pleasant. Even bought a bottle of Darwhinnie 15-year old on the way home, though husband is working his way through it and I've only had a sip... still - from thinking whisky is foul, I've come to appreciate some of them. Definitely prefer the less smoky, more caramel-y ones.

Wore Dzongkha by L'Artisan for my birthday, which has always read as 'single malt whisky perfume' to me.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: THANK YOU! (And my new appreciation for Whisky)

Hanging with writers and sniffing/drinking good whisky. You ARE a fun gal! But that's not news.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Now that you have trod the whisky path, wobble over to the rum run for another pleasant surprise! Straight sipping r(h)um(i.e. Barbancourt Réserve du Domaine from Haiti and 10 Cane Rum from Trinidad. )
    Last edited by kbe; 7th April 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I wasn't around for the entire Easter break because hubby and I attended the British Annual Science fiction convention (Eastercon), at Radisson Edwardian in Heathrow, London. I met Iain Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Al Davidson, Mike Carey and Ben Goldacre.

Attended a whisky-tasting panel headed by Iain Banks and found that a couple of the glasses passed around smelled rather pleasant. Even bought a bottle of Darwhinnie 15-year old on the way home, though husband is working his way through it and I've only had a sip... still - from thinking whisky is foul, I've come to appreciate some of them. Definitely prefer the less smoky, more caramel-y ones.

Wore Dzongkha by L'Artisan for my birthday, which has always read as 'single malt whisky perfume' to me.
    Whiskey tasting with Iain Banks - I'm sooo jealous. If you like caramelly and non smoky you should try Jura Superstition. It's almost toffee like and silky smooth.

One of the reasons I love TDC Bois d'Iris is that the head notes remind me very much of lipstick on a glass of single malt.

I now have the urge to put on some rum (Havana Vanille!)
    Last edited by hilaryjane; 7th April 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Books and whisky. Sounds like a good time to me.

It was definitely a winning combination

Rum, you say... hmm! I suppose that might be worth exploring.

I've been inspired to attempt a whisky-toned fragrance when I'm next in the lab.

Quarry - you're too kind

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    Whiskey tasting with Iain Banks - I'm sooo jealous. If you like caramelly and non smoky you should try Jura Superstition. It's almost toffee like and silky smooth.

One of the reasons I love TDC Bois d'Iris is that the head notes remind me very much of lipstick on a glass of single malt.

I now have the urge to put on some rum (Havana Vanille!)
    That sounds like an interesting recommendation! Cheers!

I must try Bois d'Iris; I'm generally a fan of iris fragrances anyway... it's definitely one of the elements that makes Dzongkha appeal to me.

One of the reasons I love TDC Bois d'Iris is that the head notes remind me very much of lipstick on a glass of single malt...
    ...I must try Bois d'Iris; I'm generally a fan of iris fragrances anyway... it's definitely one of the elements that makes Dzongkha appeal to me.
    Great description of Bois d'Iris, hilaryjane! And Nukapai, Dzongkha and Bois d'Iris are two of my top favorites. I agree about the whisky connection. I like to smell my husband's after-dinner single malts, and take the occasional sip, though my thing is really cognac/armagnac. :-)

There is one more fragrance that some people say smells like whisky, and that is Fleurs de Sel, another fave of mine.
    Last edited by Haunani; 7th April 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Haunani, that's very interesting! Any boozy recommendations for me?

Now I really must get hold of some Bois d'Iris!

I just had a sip of Darwhinnie (43% proof!) neat after sniffing my husband's glass for about 10 minutes. He's grabbed it off me now and diluted it with water. I prefer it neat, but two sips is enough at the moment. I just enjoy the smell/flavour, but have no interest in getting drunk...

Oh! And completely agree on Fleurs de Sel, but it's definitely on the side of 'ick' for me. I don't like it; at least not at the moment. Maybe I'll grow to appreciate it one day.

There were several glasses passed around the whisky tasting that I definitely didn't like the smell of - one was particularly offensive with a really overpowering cade-oil tar character.

Oh! And completely agree on Fleurs de Sel, but it's definitely on the side of 'ick' for me. I don't like it; at least not at the moment. Maybe I'll grow to appreciate it one day.

There were several glasses passed around the whisky tasting that I definitely didn't like the smell of - one was particularly offensive with a really overpowering cade-oil tar character.
    Was it Laphroaig ? Oily and smells like iodine. When I first started drinking single malt I loathed it but now I adore it and many others seem bland in comparison. It's the scotch equivalent of an advanced perfumista fragrance! If Chivas Regal were Hiris, Laphroaig would be Iris Silver Mist !

Basenotes Institution

Nukapai - I am sorry I missed your birthday yesterday ! It sounds like you had a good one. Belated birthday wishes then ....

Happy belated Birthday and have a wonderful new year ahead ! XO XO XO
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Was it Laphroaig ? Oily and smells like iodine. When I first started drinking single malt I loathed it but now I adore it and many others seem bland in comparison. It's the scotch equivalent of an advanced perfumista fragrance! If Chivas Regal were Hiris, Laphroaig would be Iris Silver Mist !
    HilaryJane -- can't believe you said that! Iris Silver Mist is my very favorite perfume, and Laphroaig is my favorite scotch. (I pretty much only drink scotch. Well, and water... :-) I also like Glenlivet, for the almond accord. (still looking for my almond perfume)

When I first smelled Tauer's Lonestar Memories (which I really wanted to like, as a lonestar state dweller) I got a blast of Laphroaig, but it disappeared in a second, to my disappointment...

Anyway, Nukapai, sounds like a great time -- scifi and scotch, yum...

I'll have to revisit Dzongkha, I thought I was getting "tea" the only time I tried it.

Thank you, mysticknot (actually it was 3rd of April, so I was rather late with my thanks ).

Dzongkha is meant to register as tea, I think, but to me it really doesn't...

Hey missus!

Many belated happy returns!

I'm sorry I missed your special day!

As for whiskey -- I'm a Macallan girl, myself. Nothing too controversial about it; I like a dram on a Thursday night after my pscyhotherapy course.

Keep well.

xxxx
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Don't worry; I missed it myself (on the forums that is).

And lolz about your drinking-quip there...

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    HilaryJane -- can't believe you said that! Iris Silver Mist is my very favorite perfume, and Laphroaig is my favorite scotch. (I pretty much only drink scotch. Well, and water... :-) I also like Glenlivet, for the almond accord. (still looking for my almond perfume)
    I love Glenlivet too and still haven't manged to find scent with prominent almond that I love, apart from Guerlain 180 Ans. Just sampled Mazzolari Alessandro and that's definately NOT it.

Laphroag? Talisker? I'd rather buy perfume!

My fav whiskey perfumes are Parfums D'Orsay (yes, I know...) Le Dandy (whiskey) and Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire (vodka).

Happy belated b-day, Nukapai!
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th April 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.