Code of Conduct

Default Does Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari have masculine/unisex wearbility potential?

I am not much of believer in the far more marketing-related, as opposed to truly logical or justified, gender-based drift between frags anyway. I also know that a lot of typically "masculine" guys pull off female frags decently and even successfully- incidentally, this thread being a jasmine-related one, it is common knowledge here on Basenotes that 19th century's most "Alpha male" figures, heavily womanizing, keen on sports, gambling and other traditionally gentlemanly pursuits, wore jasmine frags.
    However, this little historical introduction is quite off-topic with regards to my main question. I may have asked it before, but I never cease to be surprised about how unisex, almost suitable for male wearers Bvlgari Jasmin Noir may be. Such an intoxicatingly rich and sensual floral frag, yet also with that particular dark edge in order to be suitable as a male frag. So, though my question may already seem redundant, do you ladies and gentlemen of Basenotes consider Bvlgari Jasmin Noir as suitable for masculine wear?

Default Re: Does Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari have masculine/unisex wearbility potential?

yes.

Jasmine Noir should be marketed unisex anyway.

well... a lot of scents should be marketed as unisex...

it doesn't really mather the gender towards wich it's marketed, if you like it, go for it.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Default Re: Does Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari have masculine/unisex wearbility potential?

I will say it is very wearable by a man. Yes I agree it is unisex.
    DONNA

Masculine and feminine notes..also pretty dark to me so yes, it could be worn by a man.
    Last edited by Serenity*; 7th April 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes it can be worn by a man.

However, I don't like it. IMO, it just doesn't smell like jasmine. Give me some Sarassins or A La Nuit any day!

Basenotes Plus

Absolutely. In fact it seems to smell better on me than on my lady...

Another vote for yes! Lovely scent that is appealing on both men and women!

Blog Entries

I tried Jasmine Noir and was not too excited by it but, now that you have made this thread I am going to try it again. The bottle is really nice.

Ken, I would agree that Jasmin Noir is indeed wearable by both men and women. It is a "dark" scent and great for the evening. It does contain jasmine, but not overly "floral," if you understand me.

(And I think we know of one *very* famous male jasmine-wearer in particular...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yeah I'd say unisex...I think it's like a weak Samsara.

Ken, you can always pour jasmine extrait into the bath water (or have your manservant do this.)

On the other hand, Taylor of Old Bond Street make an eau de cologne in the spirit of the 19th century in their No. 74 Traditional. This is a wonderful very floral musk scent. You can see this perfuming the hair of the elegant gentlemen of which you speak.

http://www.shoplondons.com/no74trorco1m.html

Jasmin Noir is a very "modern" scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th April 2010 at 09:24 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I've just been writing up a review on Jasmin Noir in Word and one thing I put was :

"This fragrance is hugely unisex, even bordering on the masculine (in my mind) because it is so dry. What saves it from pure macho is the sweetness at extreme close quarters."

I might tweak that bit later but you get the drift. I equate the smokiness and dryness as unisex, leaning towards masculine. I find Jasmin Noir more incense-y than anything I've ever worn before and love that hippy-ness to it. I think Hippy's are genderless right? Lol jk

My husband also enjoys and wears it.

I think everyone should wear what soothes, suits and delights them. Screw "pour Femme/Homme".
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

I haven't tried this particular scent but I wear jasmine absolute
    my wife likes it on me, I like it on her.

ooh double entendre.

I think it's fine wearing it if you like to wear it. That being said, I personally find it to be one of less distinguished jasmine fragrances on the market, a little flat and insipid. If someone was considering buying it, I'd recommend trying the following two fragrances first.

Serge Lutens Sarrasins - delightfully cool, airy jasmine that's very easy to wear. Has an intriguing "chilly" quality that holds my interest.

Donna Karen Jasmine Essence - simple jasmine, clean yet indolic, much more life-like than Jasmine Noir but of a similar genre.

Both of these jasmines are on the cool, sober side, like Jasmine Noir but unlike explosive jasmines like A La Nuit. My favorite jasmine, and one I think is very wearable by a guy who isn't too comfortable with "pretty" flowers is Neil Morris' Gandhara - almost hot, tropical jasmine subdued by a dark, animalic patchouli of equal strength. A fragrance with a LOT of personality, to be sure.

Jasmin Noir does not have any potential whatsoever because its not a perfume, its a Bulgari.