Code of Conduct

Default Paris: what to bring back?

My SO is going to Paris next month to visit family, I would like him to bring me back some fragrances I can't get here. One that I'm getting is Chamade in the EDP strenght (only the extrait and EDT is available in the US)

What else is worth considering, that can't be bought here?
    Thanks!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Paris: what to bring back?

A Serge Lutens non-export?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

You will be barraged with suggestions. My favorite thing that I recently got is an extrait (spray) of French Can Can from Caron. It is superb! (You know the perfume from france is superior to the American stuff which is wood alcohol.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 7th April 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Ooh Kumquat you dropped the magic word... Caron! yes, yes!!!

My vote is Serge Lutens BELL JARS!!!

I've never found a Serge that I liked, which ones speak to you?

Anything from the Guerlain or the Creed headquarters, I hardly even dare to imagine which masterpieces may be awaiting you

Blog Entries

I must say I envy your source for Guerlain. My list would only be limited by my wallet. (LOL) I can just imagine me in the Paris Guerlain perfumerie. Truly the kid in the candy store. But, alas (sighe) not for some time. Vival la France!, viva la Guerlain.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 7th April 2010 at 07:33 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I've never found a Serge that I liked, which ones speak to you?
    Iris Silver Mist
    Mandarine Mandarin
    Encens et Lavande
    Sarrasins
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Excellent suggestions on all the exclusives from Guerlain, Caron, and SL.

I don't know if your SO is into it, but the mothership boutiques for these places are an experience in themselves (well, not Caron so much, but Lutens at the Palais Royal location, and Guerlain Champs Elysees. You can get most of the SL anywhere in Paris but the Shiseido boutique at PR is elegant.)

Etat Libre d'orange is also an experience. Maybe you could read about the scents and get your SO to score some samples for you. A friendly , campy place where you can hang out and sniff a lot.

Is Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier easy to get in the states? I've never seen it here. Ambre précieux is a classic

Histoires de Parfums is available right at the Printemps department store in Paris.I haven't seen it in the US, but I haven't exactly looked for it here either.

[BTW--I love Chergui from Serge Lutens, but it is not an exclusive]
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I'm also planning to go to Paris for a few days at the end / beginning of the month. Paris a truly a wonderful city, not just for perfumes, but it truly is seductive in every way, shape or form.
    My recommendations are:
    La Maison Guerlain and the Guerlain stores in Place Vendome and next to Gallerie Lafayette. Be sure to check out the amazing candles; all three are amazing: violet, sandalwood and myrrhe. Also the room / fabric spray is very nice. I don't have to remind you to check out the Paris exclusives, especially Sous le Vent and Quand Vient la Pluie. Be sure to check out the wonderful spa too!
    Annick Goutal Place Vendome: This is where Annick's office was and was converted to a spa upstairs after her death. They have exclusives you can't get anywhere else: Eau de Fier and Eau de Monsieur. The SA's are really nice here.
    Serge Lutens Palais Royale: No explanation needed!
    Frederic Malle by the river: They have the new Fleur Mechanique machine and the new candles and the incense paper.
    Colette in St. Honore: large selection of niche fragrances and Le Labo (Vanille 44).
    IUNX in St. Honore: unique and strange collection of fragrances by Olivia Giacobetti. There is a very nice fragrances that smells like candycanes! The packaging is amazing too!
    Printemps: they have Heeley, By Kilian, Annick Goutal, Serge Lutens and many, many others there.
    Be sure to go to flea markets (forgot the names) and you might find some nice deals there.

Will try to remember others and get back to you!

Iris Silver Mist.
    (my holy grail...)

I'm off to Paris on Monday. I've never been to a Chanel's Rue Cambon boutique, so that will be the highlight. I want to stockpile extraits of Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie.

It's hard to know what to go for at the Guerlain boutique, as so many of their lesser known perfumes are drop dead gorgeous. I'm sure you'd love Sous le Vent or Vega, but there are just too many to choose from...

Maybe your only option is to stow away in his bags

Be sure to check out Montale in Place Vendome and be ready to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of fumes they have. They have the Private Collection there which are oils that include pure mysore sandalwood, amber (ambergris), and rose.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Oh man... I envy you guys! The only time I went to Paris was more than a decade ago and I wasn't really into fragrances then... My only advice?
    GO CRAZY, GUYS!! And be sure to tell us all about it here on Basenotes.

Caron is a must...an an urn scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Excellent suggestions on all the exclusives from Guerlain, Caron, and SL.

I don't know if your SO is into it, but the mothership boutiques for these places are an experience in themselves (well, not Caron so much, but Lutens at the Palais Royal location, and Guerlain Champs Elysees. You can get most of the SL anywhere in Paris but the Shiseido boutique at PR is elegant.)

Etat Libre d'orange is also an experience. Maybe you could read about the scents and get your SO to score some samples for you. A friendly , campy place where you can hang out and sniff a lot.

Is Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier easy to get in the states? I've never seen it here. Ambre précieux is a classic

Histoires de Parfums is available right at the Printemps department store in Paris.I haven't seen it in the US, but I haven't exactly looked for it here either.

[BTW--I love Chergui from Serge Lutens, but it is not an exclusive]
    Yes, ELdO is an experience, I hear, in the Marais!
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th April 2010 at 05:31 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Parfums de Nicolai: 28, rue de Richelieu 75001 - a stone's throw from Lutens, parallel to the Palais Royal Gardens.
    Fragrances, candles, parfums de ambiance. Extremely helpful staff, smaller bottles available than in the US.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th April 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Parfums de Nicolai: 28, rue de Richelieu 75001 - a stone's throw from Lutens, parallel to the Palais Royal Gardens.
    Fragrances, candles, parfums de ambiance. Extremely helpful staff, smaller bottles available than in the US.
    C'est vrai!!! Parfums de Nicolai - one of my favourite houses!
    Some other suggestions...(some of the stuff I bought in France last week)
    Exclusive to "Marinnaud" ( a chain you find everywhere) is a new range called EGO FACTO - some really good scents to be discovered there.
    Diorissimo in pure perfume strength in a 15 ml bottle, 135 Euros. So nice for spring.
    Fidji in Eau de Parfum strength, 50 ml, 85 Euros.
    Molinard-Fragrances at very "low" prices (as compared to Germany...)

Well, it's perfume heaven...

... and for a few extra Euros, get your SO to add on some lovely blocks of savon de marseille. Cheap as anything, lovely fresh scents (vetiver, cedrat, lavender), and very kind on the skin
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/