Code of Conduct

Default Any Beautiful Smells in Nature, that have yet to been fully utilized in Perfume

I know it's a long title, but I'm really curious if there are any smells in nature, that haven't been used, or hardly used, in fragrance that might be good in fragrance form? Anything? How about maple?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Any Beautiful Smells in Nature, that have yet to been fully utilized in Perfume

I'm just researching various types of aromatic trees, and the very first one mentioned was sassafras. I've never smelled one in nature, but I have had root beer flavored with sassafras. It doesn't appear to have any mentions in fragrances as of yet. Wonder why?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Any Beautiful Smells in Nature, that have yet to been fully utilized in Perfume

Elderflower gets very little love. Possibly because it can get a bit cat-peey - but that's surely a plus in some perfumers' books!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Institution

Why can't someone recreate the smell of black walnuts? I love that smell! The Banana Republic one does not smell like it's name.

I have yet to smell a decent honeysuckle...nothing like that smell on a hot summer night...

tons of them.
    pretty much any plant or flower has a smell at some stage, perhaps if only in it's roots.
    The pallette is in it's infancy.

The jaboticaba flower of the same tree that produces the fruit from Brazil and hundreds more. Dullah said it best: the palette is in its infancy.

A properly indolic jackfruit topnote would be awesome.

Ilike the smell of wheat germ oil and sunflower seed oil but I imagine a fair few people have allergies or just plain don't care for them...

I'd love to see a subdued, dark, earthy and mysterious take on Nag Champa.

These are amazing...
    http://www.nagchampa.com/incense_saibaba.html
    Last edited by neal; 7th April 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Well, I will give one predictable answer and one that is less expected.
    I am still searching for a fresh, walk-in-the forest PINE scent (or spruce, or fir) that really goes justice to that sappy, invigorating experience. Some come close in one way or another, but nothing fully captures it, and perhaps nothing can.
    For another suggestion... there is a lovely blossoming tree in my part of the world known as "Mayday." This is a close relative of the chokecherry, Latin name Prunus padus commutata. It has a wonderful white blossom which appears in May. The scent is like orange blossom and jasmine. The blossoms only last for a couple of weeks but they always suggest Spring to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have yet to smell a decent honeysuckle...nothing like that smell on a hot summer night...
    I was gonna say that one too. I have yet to smell it bottled.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

This kind of stuff really fascinates me. Every time a new fragrance comes out with a unique note, that I haven't seen before, it's always exciting for me. There's got to be 1,000s of previously untapped smells out there, that are just waiting to be paired with the right stuff to smell fantastic!

Nasturtiums have a very fresh and beautiful scent, but I rarely see them in a list of notes and never as a soliflore.

The Japanese 'ume' is often translated as 'plum' but it is also very similar to an apricot. The trees blossom in the coldest part of the year, Feb or Mar. The fragrance is incredible--a bit like clove, maybe even a hint of cinnamon, with a rich floral base. The trees have great sillage but the impression is not at all heavy even when you stick your nose right in the flower. I have noticed that when sniffed from afar, Mitsouko comes close to producing a similar impression (so I feel it is most effective applied low down or high up) but I wonder if anyone can really do a good Japanese ume.

A marvelous flower that no-one has attempted a fragrance of is pineapple broom. Really, this stuff smells amazingly like creamy, floral pineapple in a way that is nothing like any fruity floral out there. I've yet to smell a regular broom fragrance that's any good, though, let alone one of this fairly rare plant.

Really, aside from many rose, violet, jasmine, tuberose, and orange flower fragrances, and a few mimosa, cassie, lotus, osmanthus, ylang-ylang, champaca, lily, lilac, frangipani, gardenia, narcissus, and peony fragrances, the vast majority of flowers have yet to be interpreted.

Once they find a dirt absolute, I'm golden.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

A full blown cannabis perfume would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    If you like vetiver, they DO in fact make an essential oil of vetiver co-destilled with earth. It's from India.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Nasturtiums have a very fresh and beautiful scent, but I rarely see them in a list of notes and never as a soliflore.
    Oh, I'm with you on this one! I just ate one in a salad, and I'd forgotten how good they taste, too!

I used to grow nasturtiums as a teen and would eat them out of the garden. I agree that would make a cool scent in perfumery.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Parsley

I love the smell of this stuff,
    if somebody would launch a
    scent with prominent parsley,
    I would be in heaven..!

I've always been hypnotized by the fragrance of loquat blossoms in early spring.
    There are even fruitless varieties of this tree here in Southern California that blossom into the early summer.
    I used to daydream in school, anticipating summer vacation, as the fragrance of loquat blossoms crept through every open window of the classroom.

Bengali limes. Their peel/zest is very close to "regular" limes, but cut into the fruit - ! A very beautiful and unusual floral smell ( and taste).

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    If dirt would do it for you, CB I hate Perfume sells a dirt accord. I haven't smelled it on its own, but I caught whiffs of it in "Black March" and it seems well done.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Nasturtium would be interesting - it pops up in a few here as a note but not as a 'feature note' I think - I was actually looking for it the other day, but it's not in the Single Note forum yet. I used to put them in salads back in NZ all the time.

Manuka Honey might be interesting if handled right. The tree is indigenous to NZ, very hard wood and small flower, but the honey has a dry, musty, smoky scent. If you haven't tried the honey please give it a shot - it's good for you and my country of birth will thank you for the income.

Passion-fruit springs to mind. I was in Vietnam a couple of months ago and this fruit gets a lot of usage there. Fresh passion-fruit juice is amazing - it sparkles with the same sort of tart but sweet acidity as grapefruit but it has a deep, very lush fragrance underneath the bite that is quite unique. I could see it as a light top-note in a summer cologne in the Madragore or TdH style.

BTW - Demeter Dirt is a lot of fun - does what it says in a healthy, soily sorta way.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well, I will give one predictable answer and one that is less expected.
    I am still searching for a fresh, walk-in-the forest PINE scent (or spruce, or fir) that really goes justice to that sappy, invigorating experience. Some come close in one way or another, but nothing fully captures it, and perhaps nothing can.
    Surprisingly enough, I'll second this. I find pine in scent nauseating at best, so I avoid it like the plague. Then again, actual pine trees or forests are great. If only someone could *really* capture that...

Others:
    Myrtle. While it's used in abundance in perfume, I've never found anything approaching the true zesty-spicy greenness of fresh myrtle pods.

Ruta graveolens/common rue/herb of grace. I actually started a thread on it after I first got to smell that one. It's absolutely gorgeous and it needs to be made into a perfume, like yesterday.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Not beautiful smells but durian fruit would be interesting or this flower:

The Amorphophallus titanum, the world's biggest and worst- smelling flower.
    The plant, also called titan arum, but popularly known as the corpse flower, blooms only a few times in its 40-year life span, and the bloom lasts for two and a half days at the most. During the first eight hours, the bloom emits a scent that has been variously described as similar to that of rotting eggs, a dead elephant, an outhouse in sweltering heat—and worse. But what is putrid to humans is a siren call to the carrion beetles that pollinate the flowers. They can smell the stench for miles.
    If you've never seen the plant, its name, Amorphophallus titanium, provides a clue as to why matrons of the Victorian age prevented young ladies from seeing it. Amorpho is the Greek root word for "shapeless," and phallus is the Greek word for "penis"; titanium, of course, means "huge." The plant is also called Devil's Tongue and Snake Palm.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 8th April 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Surprisingly enough, I'll second this. I find pine in scent nauseating at best, so I avoid it like the plague. Then again, actual pine trees or forests are great. If only someone could *really* capture that...
    Others:
    Myrtle. While it's used in abundance in perfume, I've never found anything approaching the true zesty-spicy greenness of fresh myrtle pods.
    Well, I hope we each find that wonderful fresh pine scent sometime!
    I am really interested in myrtle. I haven't had the pleasure of smelling fresh myrtle. I do enjoy Magnifico I: Mirto Imperiale by I Profumi di Firenze. I wonder if you've tried it. I've reviewed it here on BN. Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Plus

Amorphophallus titanum, really azsmells? I've smelled this at the University of Berkley botanical gardens. It's like nothing you can imagine. T'would be interesting, that's for sure.

I'd love a really accurate viburnum fragrance. It's related to the honeysuckle & there have already been several mentions of that note, so perhaps there is a problem reproducing it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Although not a flower, the smell of freshly mown grass on a summer's evening would make a lovely scent.

So far, I hardly know any (male, female or unisex) maracuja frags

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Oh, I'm with you on this one! I just ate one in a salad, and I'd forgotten how good they taste, too!
    Is it water cress?

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    Although not a flower, the smell of freshly mown grass on a summer's evening would make a lovely scent.
    I definitely agree with this one. Even not at night, the smell of freshly mown grass is amazing.

Hopefully some perfumers, or those that work in the labs are watching this thread (yea right!), and see all these wonderful recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post

Parsley

I love the smell of this stuff,
    if somebody would launch a
    scent with prominent parsley,
    I would be in heaven..!
    Are you fond of the seeds?
    I am especially fond of the seed oil and have been working with it as a supporting note for ~ 2 years now.
    I always wondered why parsley seeds are not as common in cuisine as fennel or caraway seed.

The scent of magnolia fruit is something I would like to see used in perfumery.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Are you fond of the seeds?
    I actually don't know, but I'll bet I would be.
    If they have an intense parsley smell to them,
    I'm game. You know, like their roots.

Basil is listed as a note in many fragrances (polo blue etc) but if you've ever taken a whiff of fresh basil in a Mediterranean garden... that!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Has curry powder been made before? I don't think I'd like to smell like it, but I just randomly thought of it.

Also, garlic or onions? However, I can't imagine anyone wanting to smell like that.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    Has curry powder been made before? I don't think I'd like to smell like it, but I just randomly thought of it.
    See: Serge Lutens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, I hardly know any (male, female or unisex) maracuja frags
    There are lots in the directory under Passion Fruit, isn't that what Maracuja is called in English?

At my house, I have a large bush in the back yard, that I was once told was unique in that it flowers later than almost any other bush, I think mid August. And it's flower buds dry into something very sticky. I'm wondering if it has a smell? I'll test it when it comes out later this Summer. I also have a huge flowering red Maple Tree in my front yard, that I think smells good. I was wondering, for anyone that gardens even in the least bit, is there something that smells really good, that would be very easy to plant, and low maintenance?

What about snow pea pods? MMM I love their sweet almost grassy smell, I guess you can consider it "green" because of its color and sweetness, but I have yet to see it utilized in a fragrance. Same for water chestnuts too, this would make for a great unusual light fragrance with their unique smell.

I don't know the answer to that question, but I find that the problem that I have is as to what degree are these smells duplicated. I will explain, with the realization that we all smell things differently. Outside my sliding door that leads to the common property in our Condo unit are these marvelous Lilac bushes that when in bloom every Spring just fill this whole place with the most marvelous smell one could imagine. Now I have searched, and searched in an attempt to duplicate that smell in a Lilac fragrance, but to no avail.So I guess that all Perfumers try to do is get as close to whatever smell they are trying to duplicate, according to how that smell is perceived by them. Sometimes pretty close, and at other times I wonder how hard they tried at all.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    At my house, I have a large bush in the back yard, it's flower buds dry into something very sticky.
    Hmmm...are you sure it's legal??
    Thai Magnolia (champaca) fills the air with a beautiful, unrelenting fragrance. We have an elderberry bush outside our bedroom window. When it blossoms it gives off a delicate -almost spicy fragrance.
    Many of the indigenous species of sages here in the States are pretty awesome too; each different in their own way, and nothing like the culinary sage in your Thansgiving stuffing.
    However, I'm referring to plants that I have growing here at home in California. So you'll want to check your growing zone.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Do babies' heads count? Esp if its your own child. My daughter's scalp smells naturally awesome!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 10th April 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Do babies' heads count? Esp if its your own child. My daughter's scalp smells naturally awesome!
    I think it is really the ultimate comfort scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I don't know the answer to that question, but I find that the problem that I have is as to what degree are these smells duplicated. I will explain, with the realization that we all smell things differently. Outside my sliding door that leads to the common property in our Condo unit are these marvelous Lilac bushes that when in bloom every Spring just fill this whole place with the most marvelous smell one could imagine. Now I have searched, and searched in an attempt to duplicate that smell in a Lilac fragrance, but to no avail.So I guess that all Perfumers try to do is get as close to whatever smell they are trying to duplicate, according to how that smell is perceived by them. Sometimes pretty close, and at other times I wonder how hard they tried at all.
    Different people smell the same flower but are impressed by different aspects of it. If you smell A la Nuit and Sarassins on separate days you can swear that both of them are photorealistic jasmins. If you smell tham side by side you realize that they have focused on different facets of the jasmin scent.

I have always wished there was a fragrance built around the smell of mastic, the resin from Pistacia lentiscus. It is a medicinal, very bitter smell that somehow manages to remain airy. I sometimes catch it briefly in some fragrances, like in the early opening notes of Encre Noire. I read in Wikipedia that it is used as a fixative in perfumery but I have never come across a really mastic centered fragrance. A search in the directory yielded only three fragrances, one by Cale and two by Ayala Moriele (one discontinued) and I have never tried any of those. A search in parfyym.pri.ee yielded 8, one of wich is Mirto di Panarea (not imperiale ) which I own but cannot detect mastic in it.
    Another smell that I would like to see bottled is the smell of mock orange (philadelphus) which is simply the most delicate sweet and tart flower that I have ever smelled. It somehow reminds me the smell of loquat fruit.
    Last edited by cpk; 10th April 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Glad I found this thread again, I'm gonna bump it because I think it's one of the more interesting threads on here. That been said, I have yet to see black mondo grass in any fragrance. Chocolate cosmos as well, which I'm surprised since they smell very much like dark chocolate which would make for a good gourmand or even a nice middle or possibly base in a spicy fragrance. Aside from Creed's Fleurs de Gardenia, I haven't seen gardenias in any other fragrance, we have some gardenias here, they are rather sweet smelling. Another sweet smelling flower yet to be utilized in a fragrance are esperanzas. Snapdragons have a very very light citrus aroma but only on some, many are completely odorless, this would probably be completely useless in a fragrance but I still haven't seen it ever utilized, these too we grow here. Lemon grass is another, this smells lemony but nothing like a lemon tree. Speaking of lemons, lemon tea tree aka leptospermum petersonii, which I've actually seen extracted into oil, it smells even more lemony than a normal lemon tree - still yet to see this in any perfume sadly, it would make for a very powerful lemon note. Grapes.. one of my favorite smells, yet I haven't really seen it in a fragrance, I've smelled grape accords - many of which smelled synthetic. Grapes are one of the few fruits that have yet to been utilized fully in a fragrance. There are a ton more but I'm gonna wrap it up with scallions. There I said it! I loooooooove the smell of scallions and I think if made right it can be quite wearable.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 15th April 2010 at 11:55 AM.

the scent after a fresh rain has fallen on hot asphalt
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    the scent after a fresh rain has fallen on hot asphalt
    This actually has it's own word. Petrichor, believe it or not.

the smell of a decades old leather bound book.
    I believe the leather part is done to some extent, but I don't think an aged paper scent exists.

That's a good point. I don't recall ever smelling anything quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This actually has it's own word. Petrichor, believe it or not.
    thanks, i love the smell of it...is there a fragrance like this ?
    Knize Ten !