Code of Conduct

Default Apres L'Ondee as unisex/masculine?

Hi. I tried Apres L'Ondee for the first time today from a sample, and really enjoyed it, so now I'm thinking about possibly getting some. So far with my fragrances, I've only bought masculines or unisexes, so if I were to buy it, this would be my first feminine. This causes me a bit of anxiety about whether I could pull it off, and whether people might think I'm wearing a woman's fragrance. I'm aware that Luca Turin put it in the "Top Ten Feminines for Men" in The Guide, which is one of the things which perked my interest in it. So do you think that it works on a man, or not?

Default Re: Apres L'Ondee as unisex/masculine?

"This causes me a bit of anxiety about whether I could pull it off, and whether people might think I'm wearing a woman's fragrance." Well, You WOULD be wearing a woman's fragrance.

I find it very feminine because of its powdery iris and violets, but I don't care it. I wear it anyway.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, it works on a man, woman, transgender, animal, vegetable and other alien life forms.

Seriously: Apres l'Ondee is one of the fragrances that just makes me almost tear up, it's so beautiful. I could care less what people think about me wearing it, I plan on enjoying it for the rest of my life. It is one of my curl-up-in-my-pajamas-on-the-couch scents. The heliotrope note is unparalleled.

Do it!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Blog Entries

Apres L'ondee is a classic Guerlain fragrance which is quite applicable for use by men. Most notably a classy man.

Will, which concentration of Al'O was your sample?

Quote Originally Posted by emlynevermore View Post
    will, which concentration of al'o was your sample?
    edt

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    "This causes me a bit of anxiety about whether I could pull it off, and whether people might think I'm wearing a woman's fragrance." Well, You WOULD be wearing a woman's fragrance.
    What I meant was that they would perceive it as being obviously a woman's fragrance being worn by a man, which I'm not sure is what I want.

What I meant was that they would perceive it as being obviously a woman's fragrance being worn by a man, which I'm not sure is what I want.

- It's not a well know fragrance to the general public, no one will recognize it.
    - It's not a fruity floral, which is what people expect from a feminine fragrance.
    - The anise and iris keeps it well away from being a voluptuous female scent.

To me it's the only classic Guerlain that fits comfortably in the modern scent world. Though I like other classics like L'Heure Bleue, you are always aware that you are wearing a classic and not a contemporary fragrance, not so with Apres. It's a great choice for warmer weather, buy it and make it your 2010 summer scent.
    Last edited by furrypine; 8th April 2010 at 11:43 AM.

I am going to say you will be fine with it. For me it is actually similar to Mouchoir de Monsieur, more iris in there.

People will not be pointing to you in the street and shouting, ' Your wearing a women's perfume!'
    DONNA

For what it's worth, I think you should get a larger sample and wear it until you decide if you're comfortable or uncomfortable wearing it in public.
    I was uncomfortable in it, but everyone has different ideas on what smells "feminine". I don't think people will know you're wearing a woman-marketed fragrance, but if you always have that doubt in the back of your mind you probably won't enjoy wearing it too much.
    That being said - it's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    For what it's worth, I think you should get a larger sample and wear it until you decide if you're comfortable or uncomfortable wearing it in public.
    I was uncomfortable in it, but everyone has different ideas on what smells "feminine". I don't think people will know you're wearing a woman-marketed fragrance, but if you always have that doubt in the back of your mind you probably won't enjoy wearing it too much.
    That being said - it's beautiful!
    There's enough left of my sample for another 2-3 wearings, so I think that should be enough to make my mind up. I'll use up my sample before deciding one way or the other, though at the moment I'm leaning towards getting a bottle. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Well, if it helps, I'll tell you this: when I ordered my bottle in a local Guerlain shop here in Spain (they had to make an order directly to Paris), finally (after like 2 months!) 2 bottles arrived..at that moment, I just wanted one (now I'm sorry!!)..the store owner told me that the other one had been bought only some days later..by a guy. A handsome,bohemian looking, professional musician (cello!), who gave that woman a mini of Rochas Femme (vintage!) as a gift...well, 'nuff said..I'm still daydreaming about him...
    Really..I also think that most classic Guerlains work wonderfully on men..especially Shalimar, which on me comes out pretty dry and masculine...terribly sexy in a non-slutty way!

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I'm cool with it either way, I just thought it was an interesting comment. Beautiful scent, by the way. Takes one to an entirely different place. I don't wear it mysef, but still love the smell of it. Worn, by the way, by Nancy Mitford's heroine Linda Radlett in "Love in a Cold Climate."

For the past week, I've wearing Eau des Merveilles, another scent made for women. I've no one ask about it or give me strange looks. It just smells like I've just showered. It was a different story when I wore Pheromone for Men (Marilyn Miglin). I was accused of wearing a womens perfume and was told to go wash it off.

Gender shouldn't matter.

Basenotes Institution

Well the bottle doesn't say Pour femme on it so I would go ahead and wear it. It is a classic fragrance and men can wear violets . You won't smell feminine, you'll just smell like you've got good taste.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I can't honestly imagine anybody thinking you smell feminine wearing Apres l'Ondee. It's not like you are drenching yourself in Poison

Apres is a very unusual perfume in a world of its own, and I don't think it has the stylistic cues that would make most people think you are wearing a women's perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    Apres is a very unusual perfume in a world of its own, and I don't think it has the stylistic cues that would make most people think you are wearing a women's perfume.
    Very well put!

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    You mean you are afraid a lad will tell you something like "Hey, ol'chum, u' wearing Apres L'Ondee?"

Think it this way:

- They won't recognize what you are wearing for chances are they won't be familiar with Guerlain's traditional scents. Chances are they will recognize whatever is in fashion right now, but not the ones that were popular many years ago but still cherished by aficionados.

- If they happen to be olfactory discerning people, they won`t be able to associate what you are wearing, the scent's intended market and you for they won't know what it is.

- Suppose an old lady identifies it is Apres L'Ondee... you can always resort to the "It is not what you think, it might be my skin chemistry" argument. However, remember aging people loose olfactory skills, besides the fact they tend to confuse smells. I once read that mercaptan, the smell added to natural gas, is not properly identified by old people, besides the fact it is considered by many as a nice smell (I would post the source but I lost it).

- Ladies take men not afraid of using women's perfumes as extremely sure of their sexuality as well as experts on the issue, this meaning it can be a pretty good pickup line. Now, according to someone here at BN, they don't absolutely care about perfumes, they care for the guy. Perfumes come second.

- Female SA's enjoy this and makes way for interesting conversations.

- Suppose you don't feel comfy, you can always use it at home.

- Suppose you don't feel comfy wearing it, you can always spray it on a cotton ball and sniff it.

- Suppose all these just don't work, you can swap it.

So, do you like it? Go ahead and don't give a damn about it being a female scent. And later, if female scents are not your cup of tea, swap it and move along: you have learned what you like and what you don't, something that makes this hobby a worthy one.
    Last edited by Pollux; 10th April 2010 at 02:49 AM.