Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration Smells Like Rendang Daging

Let me explain what rendang daging is if you don't already know. Basically its a traditional Malay/Indonesian dish kinda like a beef curry/stew that absolutely delicious. One of the many spices used in rendang daging is cumin.

Cartier's Declaration also has cumin as one of its notes. So one day i tried both the regular Declaration and essence versions. What hit me straight on was how much it smelt like rendang daging..lol. I mean its not a bad scent, i think its quite good. But i don't think i'll be getting a bottle anytime soon as i don't want to be going around smelling like rendang daging. So after trying Declaration i had this strong craving for rendang daging so we went on another quest to get rendang daging lunch.

I think BNers from Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and other parts of Asia might get the same association of Cartier Declaration - Rendang Daging as i do.

Default Re: Cartier Declaration Smells Like Rendang Daging

Ive never had a liking for french fragrances when it comes to male fragrances

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DeerMusk View Post
    Ive never had a liking for french fragrances when it comes to male fragrances
    That narrows down the field quite a bit then.....

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Let me explain what rendang daging is if you don't already know. Basically its a traditional Malay/Indonesian dish kinda like a beef curry/stew that absolutely delicious. One of the many spices used in rendang daging is cumin.

Cartier's Declaration also has cumin as one of its notes. So one day i tried both the regular Declaration and essence versions. What hit me straight on was how much it smelt like rendang daging..lol. I mean its not a bad scent, i think its quite good. But i don't think i'll be getting a bottle anytime soon as i don't want to be going around smelling like rendang daging. So after trying Declaration i had this strong craving for rendang daging so we went on another quest to get rendang daging lunch.

I think BNers from Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and other parts of Asia might get the same association of Cartier Declaration - Rendang Daging as i do.
    I love both Declaration and L'Essence de Declaration. So now I have to seek out Rendang Daging and try it!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 5th May 2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

petruccijc,

Rendang Daging is good! talking about it rite now makes me hungry..HAHA

Sounds like I have to go find an Indonesian restaurant!

Several friends from the South China area (Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taiwan) like this fragrance quite a lot but have never mentioned a connection with food. Well, cumin, yes, but not a specific dish. Interesting!

The way I remember rendang daging is beef soaked in spice-laden marinade and then cooked (simmered) very slowly in the same. The spices permeate the meat so thoroughly that you could say this is a technique for preserving meat as well as cooking it. The flavoring of Indonesian cooking is incredibly sophisticated and complex - I mean, what would you expect from a cuisine born in the spice islands? Getting very hungry now. I eat vegetarian about 85% of the time, but this craving is battering at the bulwarks.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Declaration Essence today, for the 1st time, coincidentally. Love this stuff. It makes me think about when I first smelled it...this is way back before I found BN and I just thought it was the strangest little animal I'd ever encountered. I still feel the same rediscovering it today. The Essence is, IMO, much nicer than the original. However, I think my heart lies with the Eau de Genereuse, I recently got, more so.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I love Malaysian and Indonesian food! I actually eat it about once a week.

Living in Los Angeles makes the access to just about every food of the world available within an hour driving distance.

Next time I go to one of my favorites, Penang, I'll have to do a comparison. My girlfriend is used to me comparing smells by now.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Haha interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wearing Declaration Essence today, for the 1st time, coincidentally. Love this stuff. It makes me think about when I first smelled it...this is way back before I found BN and I just thought it was the strangest little animal I'd ever encountered. I still feel the same rediscovering it today. The Essence is, IMO, much nicer than the original. However, I think my heart lies with the Eau de Genereuse, I recently got, more so.
    yes i like it more too.

but i am not sure which one longer lasts ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Dependent

This has got to be one of the weirdest analogies ive come across.... i do love my rendang tho
    Last edited by MFJ; 24th May 2009 at 03:43 AM.

I've sampled Declaration and love it. Instead of cumin, the dominant note I detected was cardamom. So, instead of Rendang, it reminds me of Biryani rice and cardamom tea. I really miss them.

This is slightly off topic, but I feel the need to express how disappointed I am that I have fallen out of love with Declaration. Maybe it's just a phase, or maybe it's the warm weather, but recently I started to find it just annoying, with the "sweat note" taking over and the things I enjoy about it having less and less presence.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I need to buy a bottle

i tried this twice and i changed my mind on buying it..
    it smells like an armpit. although i keep going back to it to smell it.. almost like when i smell my own underarm BO.

i cant see this as being an appealing scent to anyone.
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Basenotes Institution

John - that is funny - next time I sniff Declaration all I will think about is that meat dish ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I really like the cumin note, but haven't found a frag that features it prominently and also surrounds it with other notes I either like or don't mind. I tried Declaration Essence, but it seemed really weak and didn't last long. Is there are dry, leafy/herbal (no lavender), cumin-centered frag?

After a decade Déclaration still smells unique and wonderful. I really need to own a bottle. Love both the cardamon and the cumin. I only wished my armpits smelled like this at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th April 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    i tried this twice and i changed my mind on buying it..
    it smells like an armpit. although i keep going back to it to smell it.. almost like when i smell my own underarm BO.

i cant see this as being an appealing scent to anyone.

Agreed!

Found my sample and put a little Declaration Essence on my inner arm several hours ago. I just don't get this one at all. No dynamism, rather irritating after a while, almost like the cumin note is being held back by something boring for no reason (other than to be "civilized" LOL).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th April 2010 at 02:24 AM.

some over here know that Cartier is not one i am extremely fond of. I like Creed better, way better.