Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligons Sartorial previewed...

I had a sneak preview of the new Penhaligon's male fragrance which has the working title of Sartorial (or possibly with the "e" on the end if they choose the French spelling).

There are a number of working fragrances in line for the final formulation by Bertrand Duchaufour. I sampled three. The one most likely to be selected is indeed stunning.

It is from the paper strip I was able to smell it on, a very elegant and distinguished spice-topped fragrance which contains the heady lightness of previous offerings such as Castile and Douro, but with a rich-come-dirty spiciness to it lent by what smelled like a light Cumin-sweetened by Cardamom to it.

The story is that Bertrand was let loose in the cutting and tailoring rooms of Saville Row tailors, smelling everything from the raw cloth to tailor's chalks and other esoterica.

The result I have to say, of any of the three I smelt, was of a very chic and elegant fragrance, which I think will sit well next to other top end gentleman's fragrances like Racquets, Castile or Blenheim Bouquet.

No launch date has yet been set, but expect a release around October/November this year.

It's good stuff, I know that much!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Penhaligons Sartorial previewed...

That is a very interesting report of your sneak peek. Thanks for sharing this information!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

The Pal Zileri fragrance by the same name (which is itself a dry/woody/incense fragrance) is also excellent, much slept on.
    I very much liked Castile and extract of limes, but this may be the first Pens I actually buy if it is indeed as elegant and stunning as you say.
    Can you give us a preview of the heart notes, or notes common to all versions of this composition?

Thnx for the sneak peak! I love cardamom in every way, shape or form!

Auspicious signs of a neo-classical revival in men's perfumery. This one sure sounds interesting.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks for the advance info,sounds very promising. I love a number of Penhaligon's fragrances and already have Racquets,English Fern and Eau De Verveine.

I like the *name* of this scent. It implies fine tailoring and the gentlemanly toilette...after all, the *first* thing a man puts on his person--before the crisp shirt and collar stays--is his fragrance.

Beau Brummell, though would not be impressed...
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th April 2010 at 12:32 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for sharing this. It sounds very interesting indeed.

Great - another fragrance I have no choice but to buy...