Code of Conduct

Thread: Colonia Russa

Arrow Colonia Russa

I received and wore a sample of Santa Maria Novella Colonia Russa today and would like to share my thoughts. CR is certainly a decent quality cologne with an ambery leather base and the typical SMN spice accord. The opening is as benign as any and the orange blossom is good for a minute or so. Then the leather and civet kicks in and reminds me of a darker Profumo Cologne l'Empereur. Longevity is decent, but probably not worth the $110 price tag.

Default Re: Colonia Russa

Thanks for the quick impression, bokaba. Santa Maria Novella is one house I've never explored. Do you have any drop dead favorites from them that would put me on point?

I am still myself exploring SMN. Be warned that though they use stop notch ingredients and excellent construction, a lot of their scents are garbage. I think their signature SMN Acqua di Colonia is nice as well as the Colonia Russa. I am waiting to try their Orange Blossom now.

I like Colonia Russa, but the longevity of their products (except for the amazing Nostalgia) is short. One hour after application you've lost 75% of the smell.

As a connoisseur of traditional colognes longevity is no issue to me. Sure I prefer some longevity, but I am willing to sacrifice for natural ingredients and no basenotes. In a fragrance of this genre my primary concern is the quality of the ingredients and the mastery of craftsmanship used.